The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #860 on: 18 Jan 2011, 02:12 am »
   Hi Jonathon,

Do you mind telling us what suggestion that Eric gave you as to speaker placement as this sounds very interesting?   Thanks!
One of the things that happens with pieces of gear that are so revealing of space in recordings is that it will often lead the listener to re-evaluate the location of the speakers because the window into the recording changes.  Depth and width of the soundfield are closely related to toe-in and the distance to the wall behind the speakers.  Moving things around can help the image specificity sometimes.

It seems that whenever I make a component change, I end up moving the speakers just a little bit to complete the upgrade.

Dave

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #861 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:23 am »
   Hi Jonathon,

Do you mind telling us what suggestion that Eric gave you as to speaker placement as this sounds very interesting?   Thanks!

Eric suggested that folks going to the SE have been able to spread their speakers farther apart to increase the size of the sound stage, while maintaining the coherence of the centered image, apparently in many cases far enough that when using the original Tranquility the center image would fall apart, and also often enough farther apart than would generally follow with conventional wisdom.  Very good news for me, as I normally run a fairly near field arrangement in my room with a wide spread between my speakers.

bhobba

« Reply #862 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:25 am »
Hi Guys

Previously some friends of mine who I lent my Tranquility Signature to so they could check it out reported they could not hear any difference between the essential USB cable and a standard one.  Now personally I had never checked this out because I knew the technical reasons why it should be better.  But because of this I promised to get to the bottom of it and Eric supplied me a Signature cable to check out.  Well I had a standard Tranquility available but my Signature was on loan so I decided to wait until it came back before doing the test.  A friend whose reference system I use said he would check it out once the signature cable arrived but he is really busy right now and didn't get around to it.  Well I waited until my signature arrived back, which it did yesterday so I got the cable and hooked it up.  Ahhhh - one channel of the signature was distorting - probably as a result of some transport rough handling loosening something and perhaps associated with the horrific floods we have had here in Queensland Australia so it may have had to be stored longer and jostled around more.  Anyway I had to rush back to my friend who had the standard Tranquility and drop off the broken one for a technician to have a look at.  Of course I have zero doubt Eric will support his product but really in this case it is my issue so I will see if I can get it fixed without bugging him.  I will let him know what is going on if he does not already know from reading this. Besides I don't really wan't to be without it while it is shipped to and from the US.

OK.  Got back with the standard Tranquility and hooked it up with a standard USB cable and fired up some Dianna Krall I know very well.  It simply did not sound right - sibilancy, bass indistinct and not quite as clear as I recall.  Whacked in the Signature cable.  Sibilance pretty much gone, bass tighter and clearer as well - pretty much as I remember the standard Tranquility to be - perhaps even a smidgen better due to signature cable.

Well this is just one guys (namely me) opinion so to really check this out I will be arranging a get together at my place a bit further down the line so we can look into it a bit more.  Also this will provide an opportunity to check out some other stuff such as how an Aurality matches up to a mac mini.  Also my system will be undergoing a significant upgrade soon with a pair of Lenehan ML3 Limited Edition speakers with its crossover hand tuned to a Leben 300XR amp.  Incredible combination - especially in the midrange.  I was listening to it extensively with a friend yesterday before the hand tuning to the Leben is done, which the maker thinks will make a big difference.  It sounded simply awesome - me and the other guy were entranced and didn't want to hook up the Macintosh 501's which normally is the amp in that system.  It totally blew away a Modwright amp which was full of mosfet mist. I actually thought it was better than the 501's - but that is probably because I am a midrange freak and the Leben has a glorious midrange.  That combo should really reveal any differences between stuff.

Thanks
Bill

PhillipC

« Reply #863 on: 29 Jan 2011, 04:41 pm »
Switching from the standard Essential USB cable to the Signature version on my Tranquility SE dac was a game changer for me.

With the standard Essential USB cable, I found the presentation to be a bit laid back for my tastes.  I kept wanting to turn up the volume in order to get the vocals to come forward more.  The Essential Signature USB changed all that and provided to my ears a more balanced and dynamic sounding presentation

2bigears

« Reply #864 on: 29 Jan 2011, 04:47 pm »
 :D so the new improved cable is a must with the Sig dac.you know,my system does sound laid back compared to the old dac as i never went for the new cable.gotta buck-up for that now ..... :D

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #865 on: 29 Jan 2011, 04:59 pm »
:D so the new improved cable is a must with the Sig dac.you know,my system does sound laid back compared to the old dac as i never went for the new cable.gotta buck-up for that now ..... :D
Yep, the Signature cable is a definite must have.  You know the old saw: "there is more there, there."

Dave

bhobba

« Reply #866 on: 29 Jan 2011, 10:33 pm »
Yep, the Signature cable is a definite must have.  You know the old saw: "there is more there, there."

Hi guys.  Just to be 100% sure my post was clear I was comparing a bog standard el cheapo USB cable - not the essential cable - to the signature cable and into a standard Tranquility.  As explained my signature Tranquility is on the blink and needs a tech to look at it.  This was in response to a post a while back saying they could hear no difference with a bog standard cable compared to the essential cable.  Purely from memory I think the signature cable could be a bit better than the essential.  I have an essential available and I could check it out compared to the signature but don't really wan't to right now because I will be organizing a get together to check that and other stuff such as the Aurality out.  Interestingly out here in Australia, and this does not apply to the Tranquility because it is USB only, when fed with a heavily tweaked Martantz as transport everyone thought the transport was better than the USB into some other DAC's that were on hand, which seems to be opposite to you guys in the states experience.  I wan't to get to the bottom of that as well.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2011, 12:51 am by bhobba »

Audioclyde

« Reply #867 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:14 am »
I have the "Essential Signature" cable and may be looking to part with it; rather than turn this into a sales pitch, pm me if interested.

Randy

wdmoore451

« Reply #868 on: 5 Feb 2011, 04:02 pm »
I purchased the Tranquility DAC SE and Essential cable back in November and wrote some initial impressions at the time.  From the moment I plugged it in, well before the the DAC was broken in, I was really impressed with the quality of the sound.  As has been described before in this thread, the Tranquility SE has a relaxed but highly detailed sound.  Over the last three months the sound has continued to improve.  Today, it is the best digital front end that I have ever heard, and not by a small margin. 

I ran across this thread on Audio Circle and followed it for a few weeks before I looked into ordering the unit.  I made the decision to purchase the Tranquility after a 45 minute call with Eric Hider who took me through the design philosophy of the company and the DAC specifically.  Eric could not have been more gracious and helpful throughout the process.  I have since had two subsequent calls with him where he took me through all of the tweaks to optimize the sound coming out of the 2008 Mac Mini that I am using as the source. 

I have since also purchased the Duo Filter power cord for the older Mini's which made significant further improvement to the sound. 

Before I try to describe the sound, let me say that I have not heard many of the DAC's described in this thread, particularly some of the recently released products which have been highly regarded in this and other posts.  My experience has been with the Musical Fidelity V-DAC8, the HRT Streamer Pro, the Wavelength Brick(asynchronous), and the Ayre QB-9.  I have also listened extensively to the Audio Research DAC 5, though I have not owned that product.  Of these, I found the Ayre provided the best overall sound, at least from a USB source.   

As noted above, the essential sound of the Tranquility SE is a relaxed presentation, but one filled with detail that was simply not present in any other configuration that I have had previously. As the DAC has broken in, I have noticed the following improvements.  The bass became fully developed over time.  As the DAC got more hours under its belt, the bass continued to deepen and towards the end of the break-in period (after a couple hundred hours or so) the bass definition improved substantially.  Bass instruments and drums are very clearly defined in space with really beautiful, rich timbre to the sound.  The treble has also improved dramatically.  Cymbals now hit with very fast transient attack and decay very naturally.  Hearing this makes me realize that what I was hearing before was essentially white noise that approximated the sound of a cymbal.  Which brings me to the most obvious character to the sound -- it just sounds like the real thing. 

Vocals have a 3 dimensional presence to them -- the voice emerges from such a black background that you can either hear or maybe just perceive the physical presence of the person singing the words, not just the voice.  It is a difficult thing to describe, but it is transformative to the quality of the music.  A good recording no longer sounds like a recorded piece of music, the sonic illusion is completely convincing.  Other instruments have a similar quality in that they are isolated in space, though incredibly life like and life size and resonate to fill the soundstage, which by the way is absolutely huge.  It fills the room from ceiling to floor and several feet outside of the speakers. Also, sounds that were previously either totally inaudible or buried in the mix, are now crystal clear and distinct.  Finally, the music just grooves.  My wife, who has never gotten very excited about earlier improvements and tweaks, has noticed it too.  There is something about the detail and interplay between the instruments that communicates more than just the sound.  It draws you in emotionally to a degree that I have not experienced before.  It is frequently a revelation to listen to old favorites -- songs that we have heard hundreds of times before sound totally different -- in addition to all sorts of new sounds and detail, there is an underlying beauty to the music that just grabs you.

At this point, you can surmise that I am extremely pleased both with the product and the service that I have received in my dealings with db Audio Labs.  I have not participated in other threads, but felt compelled to write this review after my experience with this company. 

I cannot recommend the Tranquility DAC SE and db Audio Labs highly enough.  If you are using a computer as a source or looking to make the jump to a computer based music, I suggest that you give Eric a call.  To get the most out of the product, I think you do need to use the Mac Mini as your source, but provided you have one, or are going to purchase one, the Tranquility SE is a remarkable product.

I do want to also call out one other product that I have been particularly pleased with, and which also seems to be a perfect complement to this DAC, at least in my configuration.  I purchased Bruce Brisson's DIY Giant Killer speaker cables with the two upgrade modules (www.diyaudiocable.com).  The total price comes to about $1200, which is not especially cheap for wire, but as best I can tell, the DIY product is roughly equivalent to MIT's Magnum 1.3 retail product which sells for ~$4k.  Whatever its retail equivalent, it absolutely blows away any other wire that I have used including mid-range Audioquest, Transparent and Kimber products that are all in the same price range.  The assembly required is negligible and the sound quality delivered by these cables is absolutely fantastic.

System Components
Balanced Audio Vk-55SE
Audio Research LS-26
Magnepan 1.7's
Tranquility DAC and Essential USB
2008 Mac Mini with external firewire HD
Bruce Brisson DIY Giant Killer Speaker Cables
Audioquest Columbia interconnects
Entry level Shunyata Power cords
Shunyata Hydra 2 power conditioner
db Audio Labs Duo Power Filter Cord (to Mac)

bhobba

« Reply #869 on: 6 Feb 2011, 01:46 am »
I do want to also call out one other product that I have been particularly pleased with, and which also seems to be a perfect complement to this DAC, at least in my configuration.  I purchased Bruce Brisson's DIY Giant Killer speaker cables with the two upgrade modules (www.diyaudiocable.com).  The total price comes to about $1200, which is not especially cheap for wire, but as best I can tell, the DIY product is roughly equivalent to MIT's Magnum 1.3 retail product which sells for ~$4k.  Whatever its retail equivalent, it absolutely blows away any other wire that I have used including mid-range Audioquest, Transparent and Kimber products that are all in the same price range.  The assembly required is negligible and the sound quality delivered by these cables is absolutely fantastic.

What a great review - well done.  Some other cables that work well with the Trainquility are Ribbontec cables:
http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/cables.php

I compared them to a few cables such as Van Der Hull and some overpriced $10K job whose name escapes me.  It blew them all away.  In fact in comparison the Van Der Hull made the music sound dull and for want of a better word brown.  Well worth getting a pair to try - although not mentioned in the link I am pretty sure the maker has a money back guarantee.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #870 on: 6 Feb 2011, 11:42 pm »
Just - how should I put it - acquired - a copy of Jodi Mitchell Blue direct from the master. Wasn't really thinking when I started playing it. But the moment I heard it WOW. Unbelievable. Absolutely entrancing. I have always believed direct from the master is the go - this just confirms it. I wish everything was released that way.

I know Eric designed the Tranquility using double blind tests from the master tape. Believe me when fed that diet it shines. As I am typing this I keep hearing stuff from all over the place such as knocks etc and keep on looking up to see if someone is knocking on the door or something else is going on in my room. This is crazy.

Thanks
Bill

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #871 on: 7 Feb 2011, 08:31 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91134.new#new

Eric seems to agree when I talked to him about it.

Geir

« Reply #872 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:51 pm »
Dear All
I have been following this thread and can see that you are really enthusiastic abou the DAC. Since I live overseas it is impossible to audit the DAC and I find it a little risky to purchase without listening in my own system. A few questions:

- is it tested in any well reputable HiFi magazine?
- how is it directly comparred to the Ayre QB 9 (seems to be the king)?
- I could read somewhere that the DAC reduce all native resolutions down to redbook before converting. How does that impact the sound of hi-rez files?

Thanx
Geir
Norway

bhobba

« Reply #873 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:22 am »
I have been following this thread and can see that you are really enthusiastic abou the DAC. Since I live overseas it is impossible to audit the DAC and I find it a little risky to purchase without listening in my own system. A few questions:
- is it tested in any well reputable HiFi magazine?
- how is it directly comparred to the Ayre QB 9 (seems to be the king)?
- I could read somewhere that the DAC reduce all native resolutions down to redbook before converting. How does that impact the sound of hi-rez files?

Hi Geir

The Tranquility has not been tested by Hi Fi magazines yet.  The issue is if you don't advertise in such magazines then they are usually not interested.  This is why I personally don't use the term reputable to describe them.

However it has been reviewed by a professional reviewer who I respect and know can be trusted:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/169-dblabs-tranquility-usb-dac-signature-edition

It has been compared to the Ayre - although I personally do not think that is the DAC to beat - I know quite a few DAC's that IMHO are better:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=75402.80

I know a guy who had just been checking out the Ayre and popped around to hear the Tranquility because he found out I had it at Hi Fi shop for people to check out.  It blew it away.

Yes it does down-sample Hi Res but surprisingly double blind tests show little or no difference.  Quite a few studies have now shown that the audible advantages of Hi Res is mostly at the recording engineers stage where they can be a lot sloppier.  When down-sampled to bog standard 44.1/16 it is surprisingly difficult to tell a difference.  I have directly compared Hi Res on a WFS DAC and the Tranquility - the Tranquility is better.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2011, 07:52 am by bhobba »

ultrafi

« Reply #874 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:53 am »
Thanks for all the kind words guys; but, one small correction....I'm the chief designer for the Tranquility.  Eric is the sales/marketing for dB Audio Labs, and a good one at that.

Geir

« Reply #875 on: 9 Feb 2011, 08:32 am »
Dear All
Thanx for the replies. I need to go through some of the threads and that may take some days since I will go to Germany for a meeting now.
But one question strikes me; the DAC is reducing the resolution from hi-rez to cd quality and still performs well. Very good. I have feeling that the db Audio Labs are working with an upgraded version that can play the native resolution whatever it is and maybe launch this soon???
A smart supplier will never admit and confirm such speculations since that may reduce the sales of today’s product….
I’ll be back.

Rgds
G

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #876 on: 9 Feb 2011, 09:02 am »
Yea Bill, get the facts straight.   :oops: :duh:  :lol:

Ultrafi is the silent man behind the Tranquility.  :thumb:   

Eric is the face of Tranquility.   8)
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 06:05 am by Dracule1 »

bhobba

« Reply #877 on: 9 Feb 2011, 11:49 am »
I have feeling that the db Audio Labs are working with an upgraded version that can play the native resolution whatever it is and maybe launch this soon??? A smart supplier will never admit and confirm such speculations since that may reduce the sales of today’s product….

The Hi Rez version is definitely in the pipeline and I will be getting one when released.  Last I heard the issue was they did not want to release it until it was at least as good as the normal version.  That was proving difficult because the normal version sounds so good.  Also I know the the trial offer on the Tranquility extends to overseas counties.  I am in Australia and thats how I got mine.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 09:36 pm by bhobba »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #878 on: 9 Feb 2011, 03:42 pm »
As a Tranquility and now Tranquility SE owner it is my not so humble opinion thay it is going to take a lot to pry my ears and my heart away from the SE.  When I began my music server quest, I was the owner of a Cary 306-200 CD player and many HUNDREDS of CD's.  Since acquiring my Tranquility DACs and selling my 306 I can categorically state that I never had this level of musical enjoyment from any of my prior systems.  The Tranquility has a way of communication the music and the emotion within in an organic manner that the Cary and prior digital playback componentry never did.  The Cary seemed to be "more detailed" in the beginning, but I soon came to realize that the original Tranquility DAC was resolving the details as integral portions of musical timbre and subtlety and the Cary was putting and etched and stark haze over many of the upper midrange and HF components - very much like a tiny burst of white noise that shouted HEY! LISTEN TO ME!!! Neither of the Tranquility DACs do that.  They make music in a way that hi-rez to my ears, at least at this time, has failed to do.

I've been "doing music" for many years as a listener as well as an industry professional.  SACD has nothing on my Tranquility SE, nor do any of the hi-rez files that I have heard in the context of sheer listenability.  Some of the hi-rez files may have a little more energy in some places, but (at least to my ears) most of it isn't MUSIC and that is the important part.  If I want to hear edgy, etched and hard I'll just go back down to the recording studio.  For me 16 bit 44.1 NOS is a respite from all that is bad about digital reproduction.  My advice is to let the computer downsample from whatever to the native Redbook format and just enjoy the music.  Oh yeah - there are millions of 44.1/16 files out there, too.   :thumb:

Dave
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 03:11 pm by dBe »

newzooreview

« Reply #879 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:40 pm »
Right on, Dave.

Since all of my music is on my computer, I did a calculation and found that about 98% of my music is 16/44 and 96% of my new music purchases are 16/44. The vast majority of what I have and would be interested to purchase is not high-resolution. And like you I've found that the Tranquility (and then the SE) make 16/44 sound much better than high-resolution files sounded on my previous DAC. And I'm not a vinyl/tube person. I've had solid state and CDs for 20 years. I'm happy with detailed and accurate sound--there's just a lot more music in 16/44 than most people have experienced (including me before I took a chance on the Tranquility DAC under the introductory pricing).