The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

Afterimage

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #840 on: 9 Jan 2011, 07:00 am »
SE version?  I have the original Tranquility and this is the first I have heard of the SE.  I went to the dB labs website and there is not mention of it.  I normally get emails updates from Eric but don't remember anything about an SE version.  So, how do I get this or how do I order it?  Do we send it in to get it updated?  Thanks.

Okay, I also see it is recommended to use the Mac Mini(700.00 from Apple) with the Tranquility.  I currently am using a Mac Book Pro.  I am also using the  USB from Db labs.  I put the Mac book pro on the floor connected to the Tranquility and into the preamp from there.  I have a remote ap. for my iphone so once I sit in my listening chair, I don't have to get up.  I can just choose whatever I want from my lossless Itunes library from my listening chair.  My question is would I be able to use my remote control app. with the Mini Mac?

highfilter

« Reply #841 on: 9 Jan 2011, 07:39 am »
SE version?  I have the original Tranquility and this is the first I have heard of the SE.  I went to the dB labs website and there is not mention of it.  I normally get emails updates from Eric but don't remember anything about an SE version.  So, how do I get this or how do I order it?  Do we send it in to get it updated?  Thanks.

The SE version has been out for awhile. It is not on the dB Audio Labs Web site yet, I am assuming like most smaller audio companies, the Web site takes last priority.

You can order one from Eric by phoning in and he'll tell you all about the differences and everything can be worked out via a call phone. Eric is a great guy and he'll let you know what your options are as an existing customer. Since the SE version is quite a bit different than the current one, you cannot get the actual unit "upgraded" and would have to get an entire new unit.

johnnydarko

« Reply #842 on: 9 Jan 2011, 10:30 am »
Another brand-new review of the Tranquility SE.... and a rather interesting comparison with the Weiss 202!

http://digital-analog.blogspot.com/2010/12/review-db-audio-labs-tranquility-dac.html

A smashing review from Seta.  I agree that the Tranquility SE is a superb DAC and am not at all surprised that it sounds superior [in the midrange] to the Bel Canto DAC 2.5. 

IMHO, The "humanity" of the Tranquility SE is unsurpassed (as yet) for the money.

bhobba

« Reply #843 on: 10 Jan 2011, 12:44 am »
SE version?  I have the original Tranquility and this is the first I have heard of the SE.  I went to the dB labs website and there is not mention of it.  I normally get emails updates from Eric but don't remember anything about an SE version.  So, how do I get this or how do I order it?  Do we send it in to get it updated? Okay, I also see it is recommended to use the Mac Mini(700.00 from Apple) with the Tranquility.  I currently am using a Mac Book Pro.  I am also using the  USB from Db labs.  I put the Mac book pro on the floor connected to the Tranquility and into the preamp from there.  I have a remote ap. for my iphone so once I sit in my listening chair, I don't have to get up.  I can just choose whatever I want from my lossless Itunes library from my listening chair.  My question is would I be able to use my remote control app. with the Mini Mac?

Ok about the SE check out:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74816.msg845242#msg845242

I presume your remote app is the standard Apple one?  If so you should have no problems.

Thanks
Bill

Afterimage

« Reply #844 on: 10 Jan 2011, 04:17 am »
Thanks Bill.  Yeah, I finally took some time today to read more from this thread and it yes the Apple Iphone remote app. will work fine with the Mac Mini.  I am going to pick one up in the next couple of days.

brj

« Reply #845 on: 10 Jan 2011, 04:45 am »
Happy new year, everyone!

Given that this thread exists with the Critic's Circle, can we please keep this thread focused on AC member comments reviewing the dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC?

If you have questions about operation, models, pricing, etc., please direct them to Eric's dB Audio Labs Tranquility - technical musings and computer discussions thread.

There is a lot of very useful content in this thread, but the signal to noise ratio is diminishing, and at 43 pages long and growing, neither TCG nor I have the time to go through and prune it to down to an actual review thread.  (And realistically, any sense of continuity would be destroyed at that point.)

This is the last shot.... if we can't keep this thread more focused, we'll need to lock it.

Thanks for your understanding!

Hifinut604

« Reply #846 on: 14 Jan 2011, 05:08 am »
After a long time lurking on this thread, I’m going to come forward with my first time chirping in regards to my experience with the Tranquility (non-SE) in comparison with the Bryston BDA-1 DAC and to perhaps nudge the thread back on track. This is my first review, and although I think I’ve picked up a fair bit of knowledge through skimming through the past 800+ posts, which had lured me to acquire the Tranquility in the first place, I do welcome comments and questions. So here goes:

My initial set up was from a mid range Acer laptop running Windows 7 and Foobar 2000 to the BDA-1 via USB. The sound was fairly decent with good tonality and detail and pace. Soundstage depth could have been a bit better but the greatest weakness was a glare and harshness in the midrange and treble that caused listener fatigue, especially at higher volume levels and overall, the sound was more “digital” than I would have liked. Reviews on the BDA-1 (as well as Bryston’s own admission) were that the USB implementation was not up to the same level sonically as their coaxial inputs. Since my plan was to go exclusively to a computer server, I looked into the many USB DACs and options out there. The quest led me to acquire the M2 Tech HiFace USB to SPDIF converter (which many have deemed a must-try because it costs a fraction of most audiophile cables) and the Tranquility DAC along with a Ridge Street Audio Enopias and DB Audio Essential USB cables along with a Power Mac G5 through my local craigslist.

So here are my observations of the Tranquility as compared to the BDA-1.

The number one observation I found in a direct comparison between the two DACs was that the Tranquility is far more dependent on associated gear than the Bryston. All the positive changes I made to the system improved the sound of both DACs but it was more magnified with the Tranquility in all regards.

Starting with the Windows 7/Foobar setup with a generic USB cable, the sound through the BDA-1 was crisp, with good detail, but lacked fluidity. Compared to the BDA-1, the Tranquility sounded a bit smoother and relaxed but lacked some life and jump. The Bryston was more forward and exhibited a bit more detail. At this point, I would give the slight edge to the BDA-1. I’ll make a quick footnote to mention I also tried using the M2Tech Hiface to output an SPDIF signal to the Bryston, with both regular 16/44.1 and hi rez files, and overall, my reaction was mixed. There was more perceived detail and definition to the sound, but it didn’t do much to clean up that digital haze that was ultimately corrupting the sound, and overall wasn't much more musical. I could seldom listen for more than 30 minutes before listener fatigue set in. The HiFace Evo may fare better but I haven't tried it.

Replacing the stock USB cable with the Essential and Enopias USB cables did quite noticeably tamed some of harsh edge in the music by cleaning up a lot of the intruding digital noise, especially in the mid to highs, which made live jazz and classical much more listenable. Both the audio grade USB cables improved dynamics, and the overall ease of the presentation. The bass had more definition and presence, but the Enopias went that bit further to open up the soundstage a tad more, especially in depth, but keep in mind this is RSA’s best USB cable line at triple the cost of the Essential. Both USB cables improved the BDA-1 and the Tranquility but the results were greater with the latter, which seemed to really benefit from the higher grade cables. If I were to quantify the improvement from a rating of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the best), I would rank the USB cables 5,4 and 1 for the Enopias, Essential and stock for the Tranquility and 4,3 and 1 for the BDA-1 respectively. With the Enopias and Essential cables in the mix, using a Windows 7 based music server, the Tranquility was undoubtedly more "analog" sounding and exhibited instruments with better harmonics and decay, but the Bryston was more resolving. But as everyone here knows, few Tranquility owners use a Windows server, so how much does moving to a Mac improve the performance of the DACs?

Well, in short, the difference was significant, especially for the Tranquility, which simply confirms what everyone already knows. The sound was clean, crisp, dynamic, detailed but smooth and non fatiguing. The soundstage exploded in all dimensions and the imaging became more holographic. Compared to the Bryston, the Mac driven Tranquility pretty much clobbered it across the board. The Mac did improve the sound of the BDA-1, but not as significantly. It was cleaner and a bit more organic, but was now a lot more "digital" compared to the Tranquility.  Listening to a Vinyl hi-rez rip of Jazz at the Pawnshop even down sampled to 16/44 on the Tranquility was remarkable and quite clearly the best I've ever heard from "CD quality". With the Mac, the Tranquility is clearly in a different league than the BDA-1, but I will qualify this observation by stating that I believe that the USB input is inferior to the other inputs in the BDA-1 and optimized for performance on the Tranquility. I had sold the HiFace before I acquired the G5 so could not have used it to provide a SPDIF output to the BDA-1. I would speculate that using a good Firewire or USB to SPDIF converter or soundcard would yield a better result for the Bryston but will obviously up the cost. The clincher for me was that I managed to get SIGNIFICANTLY better sound from my existing computer based system for less money than BDA-1 . That's called having your cake and eating it. To try and squeeze the best performance from the Bryston would be require substantially more cash outlay.  However,  in the interest of fair and balanced reporting, the BDA-1 does offer significantly more functionality like the ability to play up to 24/192 files without downsampling, and also having balanced outputs and multiple digital inputs which may be important for other users.

The final note is  that I wanted to mention that picking up an old, dated, slightly beat up but easy to upgrade Mac G5 off of craigslist an absolute steal at current market prices and could be the best transport for around $400 that you can buy period . Now most of you guys out there probably have Mac Minis and I do acknowledge the general consensus is that the Mac Mini is the best match for the Tranquility. I have not tried the Mini, either the 2010 Mini or the previous version, but I am inclined to believe that the G5 is better than a stock previous gen Mini due to the better power supply and that older Minis tended to be lacking in the RAM and hard drive that comes standard. There is a pretty long and detailed thread over at Computer Audiophile that compares the two Macs in detail so I will not go into it further here. Suffice to say that I found the G5 an excellent and versatile computer transport and an incredible value.  As some of you may know, replacing the memory and hard drive on the older Mini is a rather difficult task and not recommended to be undertaken by average user. Upgrading the G5 is infinitely easier and simply involves popping open the case and plugging in some more memory or a shiny new hard drive or solid state drive. After exchanging emails with Eric, I think I may eventually be swayed by the much better power supply built in to the 2010 Mini (but is currently far more expensive than a used G5).  In the meantime,  I think the G5 makes a wonderful cheaper alternative if you can live with its inherent shortcomings which is a large and bulky chassis and some noticeable fan noise.

Conclusion:
The Db Audio Labs Tranquility is a remarkably musical and "analog" sounding DAC and a tremendous value. It does require careful matching  to sound it's best, which includes an upgraded USB cable and most importantly, a Mac transport, which is of course no surprise whatsoever. The Bryston BDA-1 is an excellent performer and may be a better choice for an audiophile using a CD transport or making the additional investment to add a high quality soundcard with a 24/192 SPDIF output.

Happy listening,
Phil

Review system:
Acer Laptop running Windows 7 and Foobar 2000
Power Mac G5 (DP 2.0 Ghz, 6GB RAM) running PureMusic, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Tranquilty DAC
Bryston BDA-1 DAC
M2 Tech Hiface USB to SPDIF converter
Brinkmann Integrated amp
Manger Zerobox 109 monitors
Cables include: Crystal Cable Micro speaker cables, Ridge Street Enopias and Db Audio Essential USB cables, Stealth Indra Rev 08 interconnects, Crystal Cable Reference and Standard and Audience Powerchord power cords.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2011, 02:17 am by Hifinut604 »

highfilter

« Reply #847 on: 14 Jan 2011, 05:45 am »
Hey Phil,

that was a great write-up, thanks for sharing. I was always curious to thoughts on the Bryston DAC.

You nailed it as well, ANY changes to the source will change the sound coming out of the Tranquility. This is what I actually love about the Tranquility, because you actually see results when you upgrade a component for more money. You see where your money is going and the value it is adding to the system.

Glad you found a solution that works for you.  :thumb:

saisunil

« Reply #848 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:30 pm »
Very nice review ... thanks

genjamon

« Reply #849 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:11 pm »

This is what I actually love about the Tranquility, because you actually see results when you upgrade a component for more money. You see where your money is going and the value it is adding to the system.

There's a difficult flip-side to this issue.  While you do see results, this opens up a pandora's box of "solutions" looking for a problem.  In other words, what if you're very happy with the sound of the Tranquility with stock power cords on your Mac Mini, stock hard drive, etc?  It seems every week there's a new tweak begging for you to part with more of your hard-earned cash.  Audiophilia is a challenging enough disease to kick without products that come along and add to the temptation.

Realize, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.  I agree it's a stellar DAC, and I'm very happy with mine.  I also agree that because of its quality it tends to maximize the impact of investments upstream from the DAC, as well as downstream.  However, there are those who have balked at the prospect of buying it because it purchase of a Mac Mini is so highly recommended alongside it.  But it wouldn't have to stop there, and it hasn't.  Now there are Mach2 mods, power cords and Mac Sandwiches, more and more expensive USB cables.  I'm sure a boutique audiophile manufacturer is working on their own external hard drive made especially for the Mac Mini right now.

As a happy listener with my Tranquility SE and stock 2010 Mac Mini with firewire external hardrive, I'm just struggling with keeping my money in the bank right now and resisting upgraditis and tweakalingus.  :duh:

I agree, though.  Very nice review.

~Ben

TomS

« Reply #850 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:39 pm »
Phil,

First of all, welcome to AC and what a terrific first post!

This was a very nicely done review and thanks for being so thorough and capturing your thoughts and insights as you went through the process.  It sounds like you're on your way to great sounding USB solution  :thumb:  As many have said there is probably even more room in terms of power cords, mac upgrades, etc.

I've been using the BDA-1 for awhile and many of your findings are very consistent with my own, including the HiFace option for USB.  As you so clearly stated, some users may have different needs in terms of the trade-offs, such as multiple inputs, etc.  I became rather hooked on that particular feature for my own system, so took a little different path, given the BDA-1's USB is rather mediocre in stock form.  I also tried the stock HiFace with both a Macbook/Pure Music and W7 with mixed results.   I had much better results (smoother, less dryness to sound, vanishing harshness in details) using an Audiphilleo 1 USB->S/PDIF converter into one of the BNC inputs of the BDA-1, along with a very low cost ($130) Alix Linux appliance for USB source.  It also supports native hi-rez to 24/192 with no supplemental application needed to switch sample rates.  This DAC combo by itself is more expensive, in the range of $2650-$3150 retail, plus a file server/NAS, but I think it allows the BDA-1 to perform much better than stock USB or HiFace (including 16/44.1 redbook), while retaining the rich functionality it has.  In my case, not having the Mac in play made the overall front end cost lower as my total Linux USB and server/drives investment is under $500 total, so turnkey about $3200 retail. 

This is a Tranquility review, but I want to make sure BDA-1 owners as well as those considering it as an option, know there are other options sonically, if that is also a feature set they want to retain, including Bryston's own Linux based BDP-1.  As a bonus, you get hi-rez support if it's important for you (it was for me), as well is IR volume control/track control integration with the Bryston remote functions.  Not needed for everyone but the trade-offs work well for my own needs.

Tom

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #851 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:42 pm »
There's a difficult flip-side to this issue.  While you do see results, this opens up a pandora's box of "solutions" looking for a problem.  In other words, what if you're very happy with the sound of the Tranquility with stock power cords on your Mac Mini, stock hard drive, etc?  It seems every week there's a new tweak begging for you to part with more of your hard-earned cash.  Audiophilia is a challenging enough disease to kick without products that come along and add to the temptation.

Realize, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.  I agree it's a stellar DAC, and I'm very happy with mine.  I also agree that because of its quality it tends to maximize the impact of investments upstream from the DAC, as well as downstream.  However, there are those who have balked at the prospect of buying it because it purchase of a Mac Mini is so highly recommended alongside it.  But it wouldn't have to stop there, and it hasn't.  Now there are Mach2 mods, power cords and Mac Sandwiches, more and more expensive USB cables.  I'm sure a boutique audiophile manufacturer is working on their own external hard drive made especially for the Mac Mini right now.

As a happy listener with my Tranquility SE and stock 2010 Mac Mini with firewire external hardrive, I'm just struggling with keeping my money in the bank right now and resisting upgraditis and tweakalingus.  :duh:

I agree, though.  Very nice review.

~Ben
Tweakalingus - that is just awesome!  If you don't mind I'm going to co-opt that one  :lol:

Satisfaction is a hard to come by quantity in high end audio.  If you are happy with the sound "as-is" then by all means save your money and spend it on software to enjoy.  There are those of us that, while satisfied, are fascinated with the challenge of just how much more performance can be squeezed from an already stellar product.  We are audioholics after all.   :thumb:

Dave

genjamon

« Reply #852 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:51 pm »
Yeah, feel free to use it, Dave.  And I didn't mean my comments as criticism of you or others.  I have interest in your and their products, and I have no doubt they help.  It's just that eternal question for me of where does it all end...?  I just thought it worth bringing that tension out into light a bit, that the revealing nature of the Tranquility can cut both ways.  Of course, none of us would be into this hobby if we didn't give in to tweakalingus on a somewhat regular basis.  I'm just trying to contain some of the damaging side-effects.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #853 on: 14 Jan 2011, 04:36 pm »
Yeah, feel free to use it, Dave.  And I didn't mean my comments as criticism of you or others.  I have interest in your and their products, and I have no doubt they help.  It's just that eternal question for me of where does it all end...?  I just thought it worth bringing that tension out into light a bit, that the revealing nature of the Tranquility can cut both ways.  Of course, none of us would be into this hobby if we didn't give in to tweakalingus on a somewhat regular basis.  I'm just trying to contain some of the damaging side-effects.
Certainly no offense taken.  There are times when I wish I could stop the madness, but I'm too old and set in my ways.

Where does it all stop?  It doesn't.  As long as there is audio gear there will be people like me that just have to tweak "a little more" from whatever 'it' is.  Hot rodders are like that  8)

Dave

Hifinut604

« Reply #854 on: 15 Jan 2011, 02:56 am »
Phil,

First of all, welcome to AC and what a terrific first post!

This was a very nicely done review and thanks for being so thorough and capturing your thoughts and insights as you went through the process.  It sounds like you're on your way to great sounding USB solution  :thumb:  As many have said there is probably even more room in terms of power cords, mac upgrades, etc.

I've been using the BDA-1 for awhile and many of your findings are very consistent with my own, including the HiFace option for USB.  As you so clearly stated, some users may have different needs in terms of the trade-offs, such as multiple inputs, etc.  I became rather hooked on that particular feature for my own system, so took a little different path, given the BDA-1's USB is rather mediocre in stock form.  I also tried the stock HiFace with both a Macbook/Pure Music and W7 with mixed results.   I had much better results (smoother, less dryness to sound, vanishing harshness in details) using an Audiphilleo 1 USB->S/PDIF converter into one of the BNC inputs of the BDA-1, along with a very low cost ($130) Alix Linux appliance for USB source.  It also supports native hi-rez to 24/192 with no supplemental application needed to switch sample rates.  This DAC combo by itself is more expensive, in the range of $2650-$3150 retail, plus a file server/NAS, but I think it allows the BDA-1 to perform much better than stock USB or HiFace (including 16/44.1 redbook), while retaining the rich functionality it has.  In my case, not having the Mac in play made the overall front end cost lower as my total Linux USB and server/drives investment is under $500 total, so turnkey about $3200 retail. 

This is a Tranquility review, but I want to make sure BDA-1 owners as well as those considering it as an option, know there are other options sonically, if that is also a feature set they want to retain, including Bryston's own Linux based BDP-1.  As a bonus, you get hi-rez support if it's important for you (it was for me), as well is IR volume control/track control integration with the Bryston remote functions.  Not needed for everyone but the trade-offs work well for my own needs.

Tom

Thanks  everyone for your comments and it's good to join the gang.

Tom, thanks for posting your thoughts on the BDA-1. I did evaluate the various options to improve the sound quality from the Bryston, including the Audiophilleo and even the Weiss INT 202 and even the ART Legato. All these options, as you mentioned is going to cost more $$$ and the decision to go in this direction is really dependent on how much one wants to spend on the front end digital and how good the rest of your system is. 24/192 is better than 16/44.1 but only if it is done right and the original recording is exceptional and even then, most listeners find the difference fairly subtle. My dog really likes 192khz but I don't think I can hear beyond 20khz.  :lol:

Personally, I find most of the music I like is available in regular 16/44.1 and my philosophy in building a system is to make it as simple as possible, but not simpler (to steal a quote from Einstein). During the current rise of computer audio, many of these "transitional" gizmos like USB to SPDIF converters are good tools, but I ultimately feel that they are a relatively poor long term investment as I imagine most if not all new DACs in 5 years will include a USB input. Passing a signal through a secondary device and a second digital cable to get a purer digital signal sounds counterintuitive to me. As long as the USB implementation is done right, I think computer to DAC would be the way to go.

As far as bang for buck goes, a Mac G5/Mini -> USB cable -> Tranquility is pretty hard to beat and for me, even with the down conversion still sound pretty good.

I agree the there is always the urge to keep upgrading, and Eric is now seriously tempting me to try the SE and offering me a deal that's pretty hard to refuse. I want to say that Eric's level of commitment to customer service is absolutely top notch. I would also like to point out that I didn't even buy the Tranquility directly from Db Audio but had bought it second hand from the first buyer who had to sell for personal reasons and he is still providing the same support and option to upgrade as if I had bought directly. There are some buzz out there about how good some of the $1K DACs from Asia (eg. Audio-gd etc.) are, and while I haven't heard one to make a comment on the sound quality, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be getting this level of customer support on a $1K DAC.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #855 on: 15 Jan 2011, 05:57 am »
Tom, when I decided to go down the road to a digital audio server, I had no clue as to what I was getting myself into.  Now, 8 months later I'm really glad that I did.

I tried to wrap my head around all of the formats available to the budding digiphile from MP3 (YEECCCCHHHHHH!  :nono:) to the hirez stuff up to and including 24/384.  All that I could remember were the format wars from a few years ago, and I looked at my collection of Redbook CD's and thought of the hundreds of thousands titles out there in that format and decided that I could make a native 16/44.1 format work for me.  I knew from my studio experience that VHQ audio is possible in Redbook.  My journey has been a circuitous one, and I'm very glad that I found the Tranquility/Mac combination.   

I would wholeheartedly recommend the SE over the base Tranquility.  It is better at just about every aspect of reproduction and I am personally in bliss with the Mach2 Mini and the SE.  The thing that kills me is just how much data there is on discs that I have never been able to extract before.  My old CD player was a Cary 306 with 8 parallel ADDACs and a killer output stage.  Upsampled and dithered it just never did what my current set-up is capable of and I'm not done tweaking.  The Mac/SE just kills the old setup.

You will never find a better man in audio than Eric.  We started out as business acquaintances and have become very good friends over the last year.  He is one of the few people that I truly trust in this audio biz.  Oddly enough the other ones are also AC members: this place is a great place to be.  Welcome.

:thumb:

Dave

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #856 on: 16 Jan 2011, 05:33 pm »
I owe Eric a few minutes of time, as I have been saying for a while I would put down a few words in review regarding Tranquility and dB Audio Labs' USB cables.

In short background, I got on board early on with the initial promotion pricing for the Tranquility DAC, added a Essential USB cable, then recently sent both back to upgrade to the SE version of the DAC and cable.

I could write a bit about this gear and how it sounds with my system, but much of that is very well covered already in this huge thread.  As a brief aside, other than the savings/value with the introductory offer, the reason in the end I decided to take the plunge on this DAC is because of the information I found in this thread.  I know it has strayed quite a bit from the traditional path of the standard review threads here on AC, but honestly it has done so, in my opinion, in a manner that is very arguably much more helpful, productive, and comprehensive way than the traditional "standard" of review information in the scope of Internet communities in general.  I think it would be a great disservice to see it either locked or ended due to what has become its unique nature.  Short story long, just as it is, it gave me the information I needed to make a well informed buying decision - the fundamental purpose for a "review" if ever I could think of one.

That said, the note I wanted to add has less to do with the nuts and bolts of the equipment itself, but rather I wanted to say a few words about Eric and the way dB Audio Labs does business.  It is both unique and refreshing to me - a statement made crossing various industries with which I do or have done business.

First off, in my early exchanges with Eric, I thought I had enough information to make a purchase based on what I read and the email exchange I had with him.  The funny thing is, he basically all but politely refused to sell me something without actually talking to me on the telephone first.  To say the least, I was a little surprised and taken back by this, considering the direction online business has gone these days (actually, at first, I was a little annoyed, to be completely honest).

From that phone call on, however, I was very glad to have spoken to Eric and can say nothing but good things about the way dB Audio Labs does business.  It really shows in that the goal of this company isn't to sell a piece of equipment.  The goal, rather, is to provide a complete "solution" to a client.  The goal is to see through to delivering on a promise to improve the sound and enjoyment a client gets from their stereo.  From technical details, to design philosophies, to specific advice regarding getting the whole thing (a client's system) running its best - and not just inclusive of the company's "recommended" configurations - db Audio Labs is about getting the most one can out of their music system, and if (how) what they have to offer can help deliver on that goal.

I was excited when I got my first Tranquility DAC.  That unit was a little sick when it arrived (output voltage was off between L/R channels, I think?).  Eric was quick to get the problem resolved, and I was very happy with what I had.  A little while later, Eric called me out of the blue to ask me how everything was going and we spent an hour or two talking about different things - the purpose of his follow up call to identify any opportunities there were to suggest adjustments to my existing system/equipment to make sure I was getting everything I could out of the DAC.  All was well.

Later still, Eric was confident that his USB cable would make things noticeably better, and offered a free demo to prove it - a "free demo", as in "I'll ship you one of these cables without so much as taking down your credit card number as collateral to give it a shot, and if it doesn't do anything for your system or you don't like it, just send it back".  For various reasons, I didn't get a chance to get the cable pulled out of the box and hooked up for quite a while (a few months, if I'm remembering correctly).  I called Eric back finally to actually PAY for the cable he sent me (note I had still not hooked it up yet).  Eric tried to insist that he not get paid for it until I tried it - now even months after the "demo" period should have been over, but I won this exchange and got him to take my money.

I read the buzz from RMAF regarding the SE version of the DAC and cable, saved my pennies, and a month or so later called Eric to ask about the upgrade offer he made available following the show.  I called Eric out on the phone that when he sold me the original Tranquility, he said he was selling me the last DAC I would ever need to buy.  He started to joke a bit about the audio industry, how things can always be made better, upgradeitis, and so on. . .  I stopped him there and put it another way.  I had bought some gear from him, and now he was giving me the full value I paid for that gear back to me to invest in new gear he believes is better for my system than the gear I had.  How many other places in the audio industry offer an opportunity to their clients to improve their systems as products get better without facing the prospect of having to resell their old products - at best in most cases breaking even financially - with zero potential of losing money on their original purchase?  In short, although the physical parts that make up the gear I bought from Eric may not have been the last I would ever have, not a single dollar I have invested in dB Audio Labs has gone to waste, something I can't say about the majority of money I've invested in other pursuits in this hobby.

Thanks to all for their time in reading my thoughts, and Eric at dB Audio Labs for demonstrating one "right way" of doing business.

MichAgain

« Reply #857 on: 16 Jan 2011, 05:54 pm »
I owe Eric a few minutes of time, as I have been saying for a while I would put down a few words in review regarding Tranquility and dB Audio Labs' USB cables.

In short background, I got on board early on with the initial promotion pricing for the Tranquility DAC, added a Essential USB cable, then recently sent both back to upgrade to the SE version of the DAC and cable.

I could write a bit about this gear and how it sounds with my system, but much of that is very well covered already in this huge thread.  As a brief aside, other than the savings/value with the introductory offer, the reason in the end I decided to take the plunge on this DAC is because of the information I found in this thread.  I know it has strayed quite a bit from the traditional path of the standard review threads here on AC, but honestly it has done so, in my opinion, in a manner that is very arguably much more helpful, productive, and comprehensive way than the traditional "standard" of review information in the scope of Internet communities in general.  I think it would be a great disservice to see it either locked or ended due to what has become its unique nature.  Short story long, just as it is, it gave me the information I needed to make a well informed buying decision - the fundamental purpose for a "review" if ever I could think of one.

That said, the note I wanted to add has less to do with the nuts and bolts of the equipment itself, but rather I wanted to say a few words about Eric and the way dB Audio Labs does business.  It is both unique and refreshing to me - a statement made crossing various industries with which I do or have done business.

First off, in my early exchanges with Eric, I thought I had enough information to make a purchase based on what I read and the email exchange I had with him.  The funny thing is, he basically all but politely refused to sell me something without actually talking to me on the telephone first.  To say the least, I was a little surprised and taken back by this, considering the direction online business has gone these days (actually, at first, I was a little annoyed, to be completely honest).

From that phone call on, however, I was very glad to have spoken to Eric and can say nothing but good things about the way dB Audio Labs does business.  It really shows in that the goal of this company isn't to sell a piece of equipment.  The goal, rather, is to provide a complete "solution" to a client.  The goal is to see through to delivering on a promise to improve the sound and enjoyment a client gets from their stereo.  From technical details, to design philosophies, to specific advice regarding getting the whole thing (a client's system) running its best - and not just inclusive of the company's "recommended" configurations - db Audio Labs is about getting the most one can out of their music system, and if (how) what they have to offer can help deliver on that goal.

I was excited when I got my first Tranquility DAC.  That unit was a little sick when it arrived (output voltage was off between L/R channels, I think?).  Eric was quick to get the problem resolved, and I was very happy with what I had.  A little while later, Eric called me out of the blue to ask me how everything was going and we spent an hour or two talking about different things - the purpose of his follow up call to identify any opportunities there were to suggest adjustments to my existing system/equipment to make sure I was getting everything I could out of the DAC.  All was well.

Later still, Eric was confident that his USB cable would make things noticeably better, and offered a free demo to prove it - a "free demo", as in "I'll ship you one of these cables without so much as taking down your credit card number as collateral to give it a shot, and if it doesn't do anything for your system or you don't like it, just send it back".  For various reasons, I didn't get a chance to get the cable pulled out of the box and hooked up for quite a while (a few months, if I'm remembering correctly).  I called Eric back finally to actually PAY for the cable he sent me (note I had still not hooked it up yet).  Eric tried to insist that he not get paid for it until I tried it - now even months after the "demo" period should have been over, but I won this exchange and got him to take my money.

I read the buzz from RMAF regarding the SE version of the DAC and cable, saved my pennies, and a month or so later called Eric to ask about the upgrade offer he made available following the show.  I called Eric out on the phone that when he sold me the original Tranquility, he said he was selling me the last DAC I would ever need to buy.  He started to joke a bit about the audio industry, how things can always be made better, upgradeitis, and so on. . .  I stopped him there and put it another way.  I had bought some gear from him, and now he was giving me the full value I paid for that gear back to me to invest in new gear he believes is better for my system than the gear I had.  How many other places in the audio industry offer an opportunity to their clients to improve their systems as products get better without facing the prospect of having to resell their old products - at best in most cases breaking even financially - with zero potential of losing money on their original purchase?  In short, although the physical parts that make up the gear I bought from Eric may not have been the last I would ever have, not a single dollar I have invested in dB Audio Labs has gone to waste, something I can't say about the majority of money I've invested in other pursuits in this hobby.

Thanks to all for their time in reading my thoughts, and Eric at dB Audio Labs for demonstrating one "right way" of doing business.

And...? What can you say of the SE vs. your original Tranquility? 

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #858 on: 17 Jan 2011, 02:40 am »
M, a lot of more broadly knowledgeable folks than myself have said even more about these DACs, but for what it is worth, my $.02:

My original Tranquility was very well broken in.  The SE, not so much.  It is going to take quite a bit of time to get the SE to where my original was, but it is still enjoyable in the meantime.  The SE acts a lot like the original during break in - lean in the bass, the midrange has yet to fill out, but the details in the highs are already "there".

Honestly, right now, there is very little difference in how the SE acts in my system compared to the original.  Note, however, that I have not done any adjustments to my speaker placement (per Eric's suggestion going up to the SE).  The difference for my system, again I stress right now, is very subtle, but I can see the potential that is there to be had. 

My other big(ger) problem, I think, is that I have pretty much pushed the speakers I have to the best of their capabilities in my setup with the amplification I have on tap.  Right now, I'm running a pair of hybrid planar speakers with an admittedly low powered (for planars) digital amp.  I'm actually in the process of putting together a pair of higher efficiency speakers more capable of taking advantage of what the SE has to offer, in particular when I can offload the bass amplification from my amp and gain efficiency/headroom enough to be able to shine a better light on the little things that start to set the SE apart from the original Tranquility.

Short answer:  right now, the SE is solid and has potential, but I've got a lot of things that need to change to take advantage of that potential.  I purchased the SE both on Eric's insight as to what was improved with the SE design, and knowing that I was investing in a component I would be growing in to.

Cheers!

EDIT:  I forgot to add, I want to ditto most of that in regards to going to the SE cable.  I've got a ton of things going on in the system right now that are changing before I could even begin to give an intelligent opinion on what just the SE cable alone is doing to improve things.  Again, this was a purchase made to both take advantage of the generous trade-up offer and to grow in to.  The "final frontier" so to speak for me with this system is going to be playing around with cables to very (very) finely tune the "final" result. . . and that's a long time off from now.  (major equipment needed to finish changing up first, then to finally get to dialing in the room, THEN on to cables)

Rapt

« Reply #859 on: 18 Jan 2011, 01:13 am »
I have not done any adjustments to my speaker placement (per Eric's suggestion going up to the SE).

Cheers!

Hi Jonathon,

Do you mind telling us what suggestion that Eric gave you as to speaker placement as this sounds very interesting?   Thanks!