Bryston BDP-Pi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:15 am »
Hi,

why did you say so? I don't understand what you're meaning...

Hi Grant

I think Chris meant that we have tried the Pi playing DSD over USB and with some DACs it may work but we have not officially built in the module that allows DSD playback in the Pi yet.  Just not sure what the outcome will be yet.

james
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2016, 01:34 pm by James Tanner »

Grant Hill

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2016, 12:59 pm »
Hi Grant

I think Chris meant that we gave tried the Pi playing DSD over USB and with some DACs it may work but we have not officially built in the module that allows DSD playback in the Pi yet.  Just not sure what the outcome will be yet.

james

Hi James,

thank you for explanation. I didn't get it, makes sense.

Have a nice day!

Marius

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jul 2016, 06:24 pm »
Hi Grant

I think Chris meant that we have tried the Pi playing DSD over USB and with some DACs it may work but we have not officially built in the module that allows DSD playback in the Pi yet.  Just not sure what the outcome will be yet.

james

HI James,

You are referring to a piece of software in MM here? Or do you mean an extra piece of HifiBerry hardware?

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2016, 07:19 pm »

HI James,

You are referring to a piece of software in MM here? Or do you mean an extra piece of HifiBerry hardware?

Cheers,
Marius

If you are looking to play dsd via USB then i would suggest a BDP-2 over the BDP-Pi.  DSD64 via USB has the occasional dropout and thus we aren't going to recommend it and DSD128 just doesn't play.  We have yet to test dsd via the spdif as our own dac's don't support this, however a Bryston customer using his own setup has pm'd that he finds the performance acceptable.  Because we have yet to test it we just aren't supporting dsd on the BDP-Pi, this stance may change in the future.

Marius

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2016, 07:29 am »
If you are looking to play dsd via USB then i would suggest a BDP-2 over the BDP-Pi.  DSD64 via USB has the occasional dropout and thus we aren't going to recommend it and DSD128 just doesn't play.  We have yet to test dsd via the spdif as our own dac's don't support this, however a Bryston customer using his own setup has pm'd that he finds the performance acceptable.  Because we have yet to test it we just aren't supporting dsd on the BDP-Pi, this stance may change in the future.

Hi Chris,

Understand what you're stating here, appreciated.
It's because James mentioned a certain module to be built in, that made me ask whether that would be a piece of hard-or software to be added later-on. I take it you see it rather as an evolutionary development of the current software.
Cheers,
Marius

schmidtmike76

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2016, 03:38 pm »
For those of us not good with computers I have my cd's ripped as Apple lossless.  Should I be ripping with AIFF or do they sound the same on playback as ALE? I have a iMac only and use a iPhone.  I have looked on this forum but didn't find anything for playback on a digital player. 
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2016, 10:00 pm by schmidtmike76 »

Audiophile58

« Reply #26 on: 2 Aug 2016, 07:53 am »
Hello James  Big question , does it have a Linear power supply ,noticably better then a SM ps.
How about output  how does the  PI  and BDP-2  sound vs each other ? Thank you,PJ.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 2 Aug 2016, 10:22 am »
Hello James  Big question , does it have a Linear power supply ,noticably better then a SM ps.
How about output  how does the  PI  and BDP-2  sound vs each other ? Thank you,PJ.

Hi

No the Pi uses a wall-wart currently.  The BDP-2 uses a linear supply.

I prefer the BDP-2 and I like the AES output best so I use the BDP-2 most of the time.  The Pi is a start point for those wanting to get started and try digital music whereas the BDP-2 is an all out state of the art approach for those who want the best available digital front end.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #28 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:09 pm »

The BDP-Pi does come with a brick (aka wall wart), but internally it has a bridge rectifier and linear regulatory.  You have the option to order it with one of our existing linear power supplies (MPS-2 or PS-3), but there are limitation (you won't be able to use the BDP-Pi with a bus powered hard/solid state drive).  The other option is to find an AC/AC adapter for your region that is within the BDP-Pi's tolerance, 1Amp to power just the BDP-Pi or 2Amp supply to power both BDP-Pi and bus powered drive.

Krutsch

« Reply #29 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:36 pm »
Quick question:

Virtually any DAC can be connected via the on-board S/PDIF and Toslink connectors. Also, get ultra-high resolution by connecting a USB DAC.

...from the web site seems to imply that S/PDIF is limited. I read the user manual, which doesn't mention sample rate limitations, other than for HDMI.

I recall a posting that mentioned that TOSLINK will be limited to 96/24, but can I assume that coax is supported up to 192/24?

Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #30 on: 2 Aug 2016, 02:30 pm »
I recall a posting that mentioned that TOSLINK will be limited to 96/24, but can I assume that coax is supported up to 192/24?

correct, i believe this has been mentioned in past posts

Jpktenere

« Reply #31 on: 9 Aug 2016, 12:21 am »
With the 1/3 chase size of the pi will there be a coming DAC for a maching stack?
How much better sound quality wise can I expect the pi to be compared to a laptop streaming tidal and playback off of a thumb drive with flac files?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 9 Aug 2016, 11:17 am »
With the 1/3 chase size of the pi will there be a coming DAC for a maching stack?
How much better sound quality wise can I expect the pi to be compared to a laptop streaming tidal and playback off of a thumb drive with flac files?

Hi

No smaller DAC planned at this point.

The whole idea with products like the BDP 2 and the BDP-PI is to optimize the playback of digital music files and not have to deal with all the other tasks that typical computers are dealing with (virus's, adverts, noisy power supplies, fans, etc.). The power supplies and electronic circuits are all designed to provide the best quality possible and targeted to one task only - playing a digital music file.

james

Jpktenere

« Reply #33 on: 16 Aug 2016, 07:45 pm »
Hi James I am getting some mixed info from my local rep that maybe you could clarify what I what to is get the bdp-pi and the bp2 mm-mc or the tf-2 and power them bolth from the same power supply like the mps-2 or ps-3 is this possible I am being told that it is not.. Also if it is possible can I still use thumb drive for my files?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 16 Aug 2016, 09:56 pm »
Hi James I am getting some mixed info from my local rep that maybe you could clarify what I what to is get the bdp-pi and the bp2 mm-mc or the tf-2 and power them bolth from the same power supply like the mps-2 or ps-3 is this possible I am being told that it is not.. Also if it is possible can I still use thumb drive for my files?

Hi JP

The Pi is powered by a wall-wart power supply only.  The BP-2 MM Phono and the BP-2 MM/MC phono stage is powered by the PS3 and we hope eventually by the MPS2 (working on it.)  The TF2 is a transformer step-up so it is passive and does not require a power supply.  It is designed to raise the output of the MC cartridge to the point that a normal MM Phono stage can use it.  If you have a MC and a MM cartridge then the BP2 MM/MC unit is the better option because it is all in one unit but it also needs the PS3 power supply.

james

Jpktenere

« Reply #35 on: 16 Aug 2016, 10:44 pm »
Ok so I am confused by what is says in the owners manual of the pi on page 9 item 15 where it states  the mps-2 will power it with special bryston cable but may not work on some drives? :| :| :|

Jpktenere

« Reply #36 on: 16 Aug 2016, 10:53 pm »
So I have a lv cartridge on my table so I guess the set up I am trying to do is mps-2 to power the pi and the bp-2 mm/mc 30db is this possible or soon to be?

Jpktenere

« Reply #37 on: 16 Aug 2016, 11:00 pm »
Is the owners manual wrong??

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #38 on: 16 Aug 2016, 11:47 pm »
Ok so I am confused by what is says in the owners manual of the pi on page 9 item 15 where it states  the mps-2 will power it with special bryston cable but may not work on some drives? :| :| :|

You could power the BDP-Pi as so long as the power supply doesn't have to supply power to the drive as well.

Jpktenere

« Reply #39 on: 16 Aug 2016, 11:52 pm »
Ok so a thumb or flash drive will not work the May or may not in the manual had me confused.. I was thinking a thumb drive would but a hard drive would not...