Finally a proud Odyssey owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arcticdeth

Finally a proud Odyssey owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: 25 Nov 2015, 05:27 pm »
Yes, you heard it correctly, I have purchased a used pair of Odyssey stratos, and have been quite impressed with them. I have a static noise from the tweeters, I didn't have on my sunfire.   I switched amps, had a friend of mine bring his reference amps over to my house, after a few days of begging him, he brought wrapped in many blankets, a beautiful pair of McCormack DNA-750 monoblocks. These are some of the best amps one can buy, regardless of price.   Anyway, the static was still present, so I am fairly sure this is a AC line issue, or maybe from the cable box/hdmi cables, NOT the Odyssey amps, as I am sure Klaus will love to hear this little bit of info. Or maybe it is because my preamp/cable box/tv/dvd player are not 3 prong grounded plugs, only the amps are grounded 3 prong plugs.  Either way the light static is driving me up the fuc*ing wall.
 Can not isolate it.  Bought a hum eliminator for cable box, and I just bought a furman pl-plus C power conditioner/ground loop killer.

I hope this all works, it probably won't, but we will see. The furman has two separate sections, the two rows of receptacles are completely isolated, and are separate from one another.  We will see

I am happy wi th these stratos, they do sound pretty clear, and do have good woofer control.  After the new year, I will contact Klaus about getting these the full Kismet upgrade, as I know I will love the extra power/grace from the Kismet amps.   I'm stoked bitches!  I'm an Odyssey owner now !!!!!!!!   

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Finally a proud Odyssey owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2015, 05:29 pm »
Long time coming, congrats!  :thumb:

I'm very happy with my Stratos, thanks Klaus!

GentleBender

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2015, 05:46 pm »
So glad to hear that things worked out for you. Congratulations and enjoy.  8)

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2015, 06:15 pm »
Congrats on the purchase

gregcss

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2015, 06:26 pm »
Congrats. I had hum coming through the speakers and tried a few things. Nothing worked until I used a Jensen transformer. Good luck.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/ci-2rr/

Arcticdeth

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2015, 08:27 pm »
Congrats. I had hum coming through the speakers and tried a few things. Nothing worked until I used a Jensen transformer. Good luck.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/ci-2rr/

I have static, not a hum noise. 

SJ David

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2015, 09:55 pm »
You didn't notice the hiss before the amps were inserted? Nothing else the signal chain differs?

Arcticdeth

« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2015, 10:15 pm »
You didn't notice the hiss before the amps were inserted? Nothing else the signal chain differs?

There was no static noise with the sunfire amp.

Sunfire has a two prong plug

AGS

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2015, 01:07 am »
Congratulations on your new addition!  The Odyssey Amps really stand out from so many other amplifiers that I have listened to.  I am sure you will enjoy your mono's as much as I do.  Happy listening!

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2015, 01:52 am »
Simple test, unplug everything but the Mono's and then add back one piece at a time with the cable box last.  I suspect the last piece will bring in the noise.  Your amps and preamp should not be on the same "power strip" as the cable devices.  The Mono's will be better straight into the wall.  If you are worried about surge protection plug one of these in an outlet on each circuit(breaker) involved.  One will protect the whole circuit.

http://www.bluecircle.com/page95.html

Also spend a few months with the Mono's as is.  They are very good amps in their own right.  You won't appreciate the upgrade until you know the sound of the basic amps.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2016, 02:37 am »
Well, looks like things are finally going my way for once. I have spoken with Klaus, and he is going to meet me around azpona time in April, I will hand off my very old pair of stratos, and the upgrade will start, the wife has helped me with funding, as we had an unexpected expense a couple weeks back, our garage door took a shite on us, so I was forced to drop most of my cash on a new one. 

I am very eagerly looking forward to gaining a little more power with the upgrade.

What do you all think?

Arcticdeth

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2016, 06:39 pm »
First, I figured out the hum I was getting.  It was the damn cables I was using.

The hum/radio/static sound was from my cables, I tried 4 different cables, audioquest, k-mart brand, some dogfish something or other, amd 1 other pair, not sure of the name, but fairly expensive.  I then was told by roger sanders to give blue jeans a try, huh!! 36$ and silent night! Shocked, returned all those expensive as hell cables, and the 36$ Belden rca's are flawless, and as quite as be all! I am stoked!!!! And happy!!!!

I am mega looking forward to the stratos upgrade by Klaus, I have not really owned a top shelf sounding quality system, I came close, but now that I am upgrading the older basic stratos, I am friggin so stoked!

What do you all think will be the outcome, out of curiosity what will I gain from my 15+year old basic stratos models to upgraded newer generation parts and Klaus love?   My old D-9's are begging for a proper engine, is t he stratos upgraded enough engine for the D-9's??  Klaus says I will be pleasantly surprised and pleased with the outcome.  I trust him, and his knowledge of audio.  I just get nervous when I spend a lot of money is all

As far as the basic strato. Monos I now have, I am pleased with t heir sound to say the least. They do have a crystal clarity to them in all freq ranges, I am shocked !  Just looking for a little words of encouragement as to what to expect.

uncola

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2016, 01:40 pm »
that's great you solved your static problem with a strongly shielded cable, I just got some bluejeans rcas myself