How It's Made--McIntosh Tube Amps (Very Cool Video)

Folsom

Re: How It's Made--McIntosh Tube Amps (Very Cool Video)
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2015, 09:22 pm »
I understand, because I prefer to build beyond the Jaguar. But I think you're underestimating McIntosh. I'd argue they lack engineering for the quality of their sound more than anything else! It's more like buying a Jaguar that despite the quality, the design performs like a Buick.

Most companies are spending less than McIntosh on the product, but they're very innovative by comparison for sound quality whether or not they use a few more expensive parts here and there or not.

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2015, 09:24 pm »
I just enjoyed the video.  I'm not a big McIntosh fan and never have been.  Their products are built well and look nice though and do have good resale value.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2015, 09:38 pm »
At 2:51 the narrator says:
the lamination are made of carbon steel.
So its not C core Silicon Steel(which its not great either), its just EI carbon.

At 3:52 are show various WIMA MKP4 caps, clearly appear they are only 10% precision.
By the little I know there is no worse grade that it.
PrimaLuna use 5% grade.

At 3:55 its showed the transformer leads use no solder.
Well at least they plug the vacuum tube one by one into the sockets at 4:07. :lol:

In my country this brand dealers advert in the local mags this amps as hi-end at T1 apto price.
The hi resale value is due incessant ads and pay reviews in audio magazines.

PGS3038

« Reply #23 on: 25 Nov 2015, 10:06 pm »
That's an interesting perspective. For me, high end is strictly about high performance.
IMHO High end means High Prices and High bull factor without necessarily meaning high performance, and value for money seems to be the last consideration.

undertow

« Reply #24 on: 25 Nov 2015, 10:14 pm »
Truth is if we are talking about Mcintosh specifically its not the best value on the planet, but everybody knows that. However, I have learned the hard way to stay away from most gear they make after 2000. Older models are by far a different beast. The newer Amps running between 3500 and 5500 bucks are in fact using many generic designed, with generic part modules.

They do make their own transformers which helps, and they have always been known for their "House" sound due to the Autoformers which most other amp brands don't use. Not bad sounding gear, but yes it is way over priced, over weight, and over hyped due to blue meters for the most part.

As for the used market resale... That's simple as well because most audiophiles know its around almost longer than any boutique brand out there, sorta like Klipsch speakers, and any doctor or lawyer normally buys this brand before any other just like a Rolex watch as this is what they know, and they know it holds a certain prestige. They don't want to sit there and explain what the hell that plain black box is to their buddies hanging out at a cocktail party when they know just sticking a Mac on the shelf will be self explanatory, look good, and make them feel like they made it!

This is not a slam at Mcintosh because truth is they still make some very respectable gear, and you can do far worse even at the money level they occupy.

Guy 13

« Reply #25 on: 25 Nov 2015, 10:35 pm »
It's sarcasm.  It means your statement has little or no validity.

To whom it may concern:

'' your statement has little or no validity ''.
To him, not to me....

Guy 13