…and now for something COMPLETELY different – Cleaning House

richidoo

Lookin fine Scott!     You need to bring those TTs closer together so you can DJ. ;)

The front wall light color wood panelling is a nice touch. Is it acoustic-ish treatmental?

Scott F.

Lookin fine Scott!     You need to bring those TTs closer together so you can DJ. ;)

That's too funny :lol: I can just see it, me scratching away with a VdH Frog and and a Lyra  :thumb:

Kinda funny story about the paneling. First, it's pure decorative. I did it because I thought it would look good.

So the paneling...my wife thinks the idea is nuts but that happens all the time. I go up to Home Depot and make my way to the lumber department. I find the stack of door skins which are nothing more than 1/8" Luan. I start sifting through the stack and I notice the consecutive pieces have a really close grain pattern. Makes sense, especially remembering how plywood is made after watching one too many episodes of How It's Made.

Now I'm on a mission. A mission to find four bookmatched door skins. The stack of Luan is on an end cap of a major isle. I'm digging through the stack of skins and next thing you know, I've got the ones I've picked laid out, flat on the floor making sure they match as close as possible. I'm busy digging and switching skins as these are taking up major isle space on a busy Saturday. Honestly, I'm not paying much attention as people are walking by me and grumbling. Then the store manager walks up and asks me, Sir, is there something we can help you with? I sorta don't pay much attention and say, Nope, I've just about got it, as I take another run at the stack of skins. I look up and notice it's the Manager I just blew off.

Needless to say, I had to stop and explain to him exactly what I was doing including the bookmatching of the grains. He was actually fine with it after I explained. He actually wanted me to send him a picture of it after I got it all installed, of which I've forgotten to do.

Here's a little wider pic of the head wall where you can see the grain match

20150726_100908 by sfaller_99, on Flickr

I didn't get it perfect but it's fairly close. Keep in mind, I got these from HD for like five bucks a skin or something. I like it, personally. Since the skins didn't fill the entire wall, I ended up installing a 1x8 pine 'picture frame' around the perimeter. That gave the wall the appearance of a bit more depth. I think it adds more character to the room. One of these days, I need to pull all the gear out from the wall and put several more coats of urethane on. That will really add more depth to the look...but like always, I got in a fat arsed hurry and said to myself, It's good!, lets fire up the stereo.  :duh:

mcgsxr

Sidebar - not often I see big old B&W's (I think) with a TONE LOC record in the pic!

Funky cold medina indeed.   :lol:

I like the look of the panels - then again I grew up in a home built in '68 so there was LOTS of wood paneling in the family room and finished side of the basement.

richidoo

That's amazing you got such good grain match. Looks real nice. Thanks for sharing the story!

Scott F.

Updated the original post as another piece just left the building. Thanks Ron!!!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135683.msg1441782#msg1441782