RM40 Phase Plug

GeographicVoid

RM40 Phase Plug
« on: 3 Oct 2013, 12:54 pm »
Hello All... Went to listen to some Pink Floyd (dark side) last night and heard a very annoying buzz from the left speaker.  After investigating it appeared to be the phase plug rubbing when the speaker vibrated.  From day 1 none of my plugs were centered and this one has always been very close.  Long story short I put a little side pressure on it to see if it would flex a little and stop the noise.  Rather than flex it popped off  :o  but the noise went away  :D  Now I need to get it back on there. 

Question is I have many things that would work... JB weld... SuperGlue...Gorilla glue (expands quite a bit) ect... Is there something that you shouldn't use or does anything work as long as it holds?  Also does the overall length of the plug matter?  I Trimmed the back to clean off the factory glue so the part is just a hair shorter not.  Also if a guy wanted to make a new one is there magic in these besides the overall dia and length?  Does the material matter?  I have a machine shop and could make some nice aluminum ones... or maybe use some other nice hardwood.  If that worked I might  considering doing all 4.  That way I could make sure they are all centered better than they came from the factory.

Maybe a silly question but what exactly does the phase plug do?

Thanks for your time.

Brax

Re: RM40 Phase Plug
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2013, 08:04 pm »
I would  be hesitant to use a glue that runs or expands, you just don't have access to clean the access if needed. I used hot glue to replace the plugs and that also minimised the cure time.

As far as size and shape, I would like to mimic the plug on the 6-1/2" drivers but I don't know if it would really make any difference.

GeographicVoid

Re: RM40 Phase Plug
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2013, 11:56 pm »
Thanks Brax... just used some crazy glue and we are back in business.

So can someone tell me exactly what the phase plug does?  I have some Focal car speakers with bullet shaped aluminum plugs.  Just curious. Thanks