NEW MOD UNDER CONSIDERATION: Cambridge Audio Azur 851N Reference Network player!

modwright

I need to know if there is interest in the Cambridge Audio Azure 851N Reference Network player:

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/851/851n

$1799 retail, full digital inputs and outputs, including USB, Ethernet, toslink, AES/EBU, SPDIF and full streaming capability including wifi and blue tooth.  It reminds me of the very popular Slim Devices Transporter, albeit with MUCH greater functionality and benefitting from modern tech advancements.

Link to informative article/review:

http://www.goodsound.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/667-cambridge-audio-azur-851n-network-music-player-dac-digital-preamplifier

It accepts digital inputs up to 24/192 via all standard digital inputs and DSD via USB.  It then uses a proprietary algorithm to upsample all music to 24/384K PCM.  DACs are dual Analog Devices AD1955's. 123dB S/N, fully DSD compatible and differential current output.  This means that we can avoid ALL op-amps, for I-V conversion.  I PREFER this for the best sound!

Now we also modify the Sony HAP-Z1ES.  What are the differences you may ask?

Sony upsamples all to DSD.
Sony does not have digital inputs or outputs, only ethernet or WiFi connectivity to upload music to Sony's internal storage.
Sony does have internal 1TB storage as both streamer and server.
Sony does stream internet radio and other internet media.
Sony does not have built in volume control.

Both allow control via IOS or Android apps and both have great current output DACs.

Where I see the Cambridge standing out, is in its functionality:
With all bases covered for digital in/out and streaming, this unit acts as streamer, DAC and transport.
It works with virtually all media.
Its volume control utilizes a SHARC processor rather than the on-board DAC digital attenuator from what I can tell which is a good thing.

I am really looking for customer feedback and input.  I want to expand our mods offerings and I choose to only modify products that are well received.  We are too busy for 'one-off' mods, so I spend a good amount of time designing each mod and then we offer it to our mods product listings as standard fare.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences if you have heard this product, and your interest level.

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2016, 08:00 pm by modwright »

mr_bill

Dan
I think it's a great choice for mod. I don't know how the stock model sounds but the make up of this unit is what a lot of us are looking for - just add amps and go as everything else we need for streaming Dac and volume is contained in the Cambridge and seems like at a high level.

modwright

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

Dan