USB - Onkyo Problem

dougme57

USB - Onkyo Problem
« on: 17 Sep 2014, 02:37 am »
My setup is a small form PC with Windows 7, USB out to external soundcard and optic audio to Onkyo 708. Works great and happy with the setup (on my budget).

My problem is the Onkyo loses the signal from PC when I switch inputs or shut down for the night. I have turned off all power saving features including USB. Computer still puts out sound as all the indicators are showing. The Onkyo will not pick up again until I do a shut down and reboot, a restart will not do it.

Any suggestions?

*Scotty*

Re: USB - Onkyo Problem
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2014, 02:57 am »
I think the problem is that the external sound card may be loosing its handshake with the PC. If this happens the playback program keeps right on functioning but the computer doesn't see the soundcard so no signal is received by the soundcard. The Onkyo can't do anything with with a signal it never receives. What equipment is being shutdown for the night?
Scotty

srb

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2014, 03:10 am »
The Onkyo will not pick up again until I do a shut down and reboot, a restart will not do it.

Check if it is it recognized when you do this:

1.  Open Playback Devices (right-click on speaker icon in Notification Area)
2.  Right-click on USB device and select Disable
3.  Right-click on USB device and select Enable

Steve

dougme57

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2014, 02:15 pm »
That did not do it. I went to sleep listening to a playlist, this morning the Onk still had signal but as soon as I change input and go back to pc it goes to "no signal".

dougme57

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2014, 02:17 pm »
I shut down the Onk and the projector, cable box, etc. I leave the PC running.

avta

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2014, 02:58 pm »
do you have another USB cable you could try?

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2014, 03:30 pm »
I know this is blasphemous for some but if you swap out the usb cable and still have the problem, do you have the latest versions of firmware on the Onkyo? Do you have all Windows and driver updates applied to the PC and souncard?

If not that's what I would do next.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2014, 03:34 pm »
That did not do it. [Disabling & Enabling external USB soundcard]

That and the fact that it still shows in Playback Devices suggests there may not be a problem with the USB connection from the computer to the external soundcard.

Sounds like there is a problem with switching inputs on the Onkyo that may not exist on another receiver.  Does the soundcard have a coaxial S/PDIF output that you could try instead of the optical?

Steve

dougme57

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2014, 03:54 pm »
I have all the latest updates and checked all my drivers last night. I have another USB cable but have not tried it, what the heck. I ran the Onk firmware update when I got about 3 years ago, but not since.

I am starting to think it is a handshake issue and I just need to shut the pc down every night. I do not use that pc for anything but music, have (2) 1TB external drives with FLAC files. The problem is when I am listening and want to switch over and here Monday night football or something. I then have to do the shutdown and restart.

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2014, 01:23 am »
Did this just start happening? Did the Onkyo work properly at some point? If you have another PC I would try it and see if the problem goes away.

It appears that Onkyo has a firmware update for your unit dated July 5, 2012 so you may not have the latest firmware. If not I would upgrade to it.

You could search and/or ask the question on AVSForum. Historically, the folks over there have been very knowledgeable about these types of issues.

Lastly you could run one of those free update my drivers programs which will tell you and or get you the latest drivers available for your machine. If you go this route make sure you snapshot your system beforehand so that you can restore if things get wonky due to the upgrade.