Sources for new/used jazz LPs??

eric the red

Sources for new/used jazz LPs??
« on: 22 Mar 2007, 09:17 am »
Looking to buy new/used Blue Note/Verve jazz LPs. Any good sites on the web that sell? TIA
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007, 04:40 pm by TheChairGuy »

Scott F.

Re: Sources for new/used Verve/Blue Note jazz LPs??
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2007, 03:00 pm »
On the used side, Euclid records in St Louis offers quality vinyl at average prices. Best part, you can trust their ratings.
www.euclidrecords.com

here is another decent shop in St Louis, The Record Exchange. Good selection, decent pricing, grading is accurate.
http://www.recordexchangestl.com/

Both store ship worldwide.

edit: added another shop
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2007, 06:07 pm by Scott F. »

Dan Banquer

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2007, 04:21 pm »
Try Mosaic Records and True Blue Records.
               d.b.

lcrim

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2007, 04:55 pm »
gooberdude:
thanks and I ordered some stuff fom Dusty Grooves.

eric the red

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2007, 09:09 pm »
some great sites thanks guys and yes this would be a great sticky for those of us who just jumped back in the LP pool. vinyl rocks! :guitar:

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2007, 11:00 pm »
Hey Goob,

I added the Record Exchange link to my post above. Vintage Vinyl, though cool and in a great part of town, doesn't quite have the selection of vinyl the other two have. I just visited their website and it doesn't look like it lists all of the vinyl they carry. Shame, it's a great place to shop for vinyl when you walk in but they sure don't have much of a web presence.

eric the red

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2007, 04:07 pm »
TCG:
STICKY! :weights: STICKY! :weights:

Listens2tubes

Re: Sources for new/used jazz LPs??
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2007, 10:41 pm »
I've found http://www.Gemm.com and http://www.Audiophileusa.com to be good vinyl sources also. :thumb: Enjoy :dance:

sabes

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2007, 11:16 pm »
for used vinyl, emil on audiogon (http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/search2.pl?seller&Emil_anghel) is a wonderful resource. he's constantly posting unusual/rare/well-recorded items, and is one of the most honest guys you could deal with. if he's got it, it's rarely (RARELY) less than a true NM copy.

lazydays

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2007, 05:48 pm »
I can recommend The Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds. Both places have extensive catalogs to choose from, and I've had nothing but great service from both outfits.
gary

ricmon

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2007, 05:54 pm »
Eric:

I have used these guys a lot.  http://www.mosaicrecords.com/
Good service and a very nice selection of titles. 

Great site.  THANKS big time.   :D

Marcos

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2008, 12:00 pm »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Better Records.  Don't let the expensive "hot stamper" pressings put you off.  Tom keeps a lot of modestly-priced stuff too.  I've picked up some very nice Bill Evans and Blue Note stuff from there.  Tom's bag is that a carefully-selected conventional pressing will often sound far better than the heavy-vinyl reissues.  Truth be told, I've never been enamoured of most of the heavy vinyl, outside of the looks.  Anyway - lots of good stuff, great service, AND, for $5 he'll clean the record for you on a VPI machine.  Well worth it if you don't want to invest in a machine.

hifitommy

here are a couple of sites not yet mentioned:
« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2008, 05:52 pm »
www.soundstagedirect.com

good selection of lots of things and decent pricing.

http://www.recordsbymail.com/

i have done biz w/RBM and his items are EXACTLY as stated and shipped superlatively.  i save his boxes to ship LPs with.

just a little advice from yer uncle tommy.
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2008, 01:05 pm by hifitommy »

BLS

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2008, 04:55 am »
I'm a 47 year old rocker who just dipped his ears into jazz with Diana Krall a few years ago. Now I subscribe to both Blue Note subscriptions from Musicmattersjazz and Acousticsounds.

If you like amazing realism with instruments and pretty cool jazz you have to check one of these 45rpm re-issues out. Go to http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/ and read about it. Acousticsounds puts out different releases from the Blue Note catalog at the same 45rpm. Acoustic does not provide the beautiful gatefold cover and black and white photos.

I am so spoiled by the sound it's almost a let down sometimes to listen to other records.

I will be the first to admit they are expensive. But you are buying a collectible piece of vinyl and packaging.

Another part of it for me is that this music was recorded in the late fifties and early sixties. I didn't know any of this music. I love the whole thing so much that I trust what they send will be fantastic sonically and musically. Twenty or so albums later and I'm hooked. I look forward to each month's new delivery.

chosenhandle

« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2009, 05:33 pm »
for used jazz, Tom at Jazz Record Revival is an awesome source. He is very friendly and his prices are fair (and he grades fairly!). He is also a hoot to chat with on the phone.

http://www.jazzrecordrevival.com/html_index.cfm?page=home

weirdo

« Reply #15 on: 9 Mar 2009, 01:40 am »
www.dustygroove.com    bad-a^& funky record store in Chicago, their used ratings are honest and the selection is amazing for certain genres.

Most of the jazz/funk/soul & r&b i own i've bought from them...

My experiences were not so good. When they rate a record condition as "good" the condition can vary a great deal. I recently purchased 4 albums as good and good+ and all are irrepairably scratched, at least on some area of each record.  I will purchase again from them, but only if the condition rating is their highest.

Sonny

« Reply #16 on: 9 Mar 2009, 01:45 am »
Looking to buy new/used Blue Note/Verve jazz LPs. Any good sites on the web that sell? TIA

Eric,

Living in the SF area, there's a few shops around here.  if you give me a list of LPs you'd like, I'll grab them if I see them.  Most of the OJCs or reissues, used, run from $5 to $10 and some rarer or more popular ones a little more. 

I'd be happy to pick them up for you if I run across them.  Let me know...

I would only ask you pay for them  :icon_lol:, and for shipping. 

T

tomatamot

tomatamot

« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2009, 06:12 pm »

My experiences were not so good.
When they rate a record condition as "good" the condition can vary a great deal. I recently purchased 4 albums as good and good+ and all are irrepairably scratched, at least on some area of each record. 
I will purchase again from them, but only if the condition rating is their highest.

"Good"on vinyl is never Good!
D`nt buy records grade "good" nowhere.
Dusty, really is OK but start buying at VG+ .

jeenie67

.....let your $$ do the talkin' !
« Reply #19 on: 18 Apr 2009, 02:42 am »
....I find so many fine albums of both jazz, classical, and real old western music at the Salvation Army outlet stores....and Goodwill Industries outlets. At $0.20 a copy typical, all it takes is time to pull a record from the sleeve and eyeball it in the light....and take a big chance with twenty cents! My collection of great music has been so enhanced by these little used resources. My three copies of the 1812 Overture and some Wes Montgomery....to Charlie Parker...all for less than a buck. And the sound....scratch wise...just as good as Music Fidelity's 200 gram vinyl!