New HE1000 version-Edition X, at Lower Price

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
New HE1000 version-Edition X, at Lower Price
« on: 1 Dec 2015, 12:37 pm »
Name is Edition X, price yet not affordable,
sensitivity is hi 103dB, colour is black also :lol:
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/edition-x.html

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Re: New HE1000 version-Edition X, at Lower Price
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:25 pm »
Affordable is a relative term.  If the performance is near that of HE1000, then it isn't priced that far from
what the Beyer T1 or the Senn. HD800 are priced at.   It's like any other aspect of this hobby, the price/performance
ratio that people are willing to bear varies from person to person.
Hibuck....

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2015, 11:53 pm »
Well its not affordable for me, its alot of money here.
I think headphones roof price are $500 max $600.
I think again HD800, T1, K812 dont delivery enough
performance to charge these prices they cost, ie its
retail price are inflated, $600 is a fair price for these
phones.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2015, 06:15 pm »
Regarding the HD 800 specifically, Sennheiser has officially made some changes to the voicing (and charges the customer another $100 dollars for the privilege, much as they did when they introduced the HD 650 to take over the 'top dog' spot from the HD 600.)

Dale, I have heard the T1 and I liked it, but I have a hard time understanding why it costs five times as much as a DT series headphone when the design is virtually the same except for the drivers themselves and their angling. While I am sure those Tesla drivers cost more to make, can it really be enough to justify that?

Realizing that the above comments have absolutely nothing to do with the original topic, I will steer the thread back to that just long enough to say that I don't especially care for the looks of the HE1000, but since it is above what I am willing/able to pay for a pair of headphones anyway, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Seems like just another manufacturer trying to figure out what the market will bear. Audeze is doing the same thing with the LCD4 for example. I agree with full range man's comments. These things are getting too expensive for my blood but as long as people buy them, I guess it's hard to say they're overcharging.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2015, 06:43 pm »
I like the no-nonsense design of the Beyers but have never been able to abide sealed headphones that well. The velour ear pads on the Beyers do help, though. These days however, when I'm looking for isolation, I'm looking for in ear monitors. Been coveting Shure SE 535's for a while now but as some of you who know me on here are aware, this hasn't exactly been much of the year for any kind of discretionary purchasing.

usp1

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2015, 06:49 pm »
I like the no-nonsense design of the Beyers but have never been able to abide sealed headphones that well. The velour ear pads on the Beyers do help, though. These days however, when I'm looking for isolation, I'm looking for in ear monitors. Been coveting Shure SE 535's for a while now but as some of you who know me on here are aware, this hasn't exactly been much of the year for any kind of discretionary purchasing.

+1 for the Shure 535. Keep your eyes on Massdrop they often have them for a good price.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2015, 06:56 pm »
BTW, I got a short (1.5m) Cardas cable for the DT1770, which has raised the quality of the sound another good notch.  I think I'm as close to Nirvana now as I've ever been.
I glad you happy, please keep us posted.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2015, 07:21 pm »
I'm impressed with the clarity, but that's not a huge difference.
The extra extension at 11 khz and above is very nice.
But the bass - I have many tracks (esp. jazz) that use upright bass, and the sound of those is really great - excellent tone and sensation of plucking - probably the best I've heard - even better than the LCD2.
This is promissing, what the about soundstage size?

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2015, 09:01 pm »
+1 for the Shure 535. Keep your eyes on Massdrop they often have them for a good price.
Saw a 'used-like-new' pair on head fi for $300+/- but timing not good plus hesitant to spend that much & have no mfr warranty

usp1

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2015, 03:54 am »
Saw a 'used-like-new' pair on head fi for $300+/- but timing not good plus hesitant to spend that much & have no mfr warranty

Massdrop has new for around 380 sometimes.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2015, 02:53 pm »
Grey market? If I am buying new, I would prefer to have a warranty, so probably "in for a dime, in for a dollar". For some reason, I can accept paying that for a used set more easily than I can for a Gray market set which potentially could even be counterfeit. Anybody have experience dealing with purchasing this way?