Bicycling Off-Road

JoshK

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #1040 on: 29 Oct 2012, 12:30 pm »
That's a decent sized crew.   I like how there is a dude on a cross bike and a dude on a fat bike in there too.  I'm surprised the fat bike can keep up.

jackman

« Reply #1041 on: 29 Oct 2012, 12:54 pm »
That fat tire bike is a Surly Pugsley.  I know a guy who has one as his only bike.  He rides over a thousand miles a month, year round, and fast.  The bike is heavy and those tires are massive but I've seen him maintain over 20mph in a pace line for over 40 miles on that thing.  He rarely does road rides but he comes along once in a while.  His tires are slicks because he literally rode the knobs off if them and he's probably over 60 years old. Tough dude.

When I met this guy on a ride, I thought he was a young kid until he took off his helmet at a rest area. My friend said he joined the group for a 100 mile ride and kept up for nearly 80 miles, on a nearly 40 lb Pugsley!  Until I saw it, I did not believe it was possible.  The next day, one of my friends went out and bought one for wjnter and bad weather riding.  Cool bike!

JoshK

« Reply #1042 on: 29 Oct 2012, 01:01 pm »
I went by a local shop on Saturday to exchange my dropper post (wrong size) and they had a Surley Moonlander in the shop.  I picked it up.  Wasn't as heavy as I expected, but was still mid to upper 30's I'd guess.   Looks like a cool winter snow bike. 

Levi

« Reply #1043 on: 29 Oct 2012, 01:23 pm »
Those FAT bikes are lots of fun. They are heavy when you pick them up but feels very efficient when you are riding.  If I only have room for one of them, I can ride it in deep snow and on the beach. We had 3 groups (fast, medium and social pace).  Tiny Woman in the far right was leading the fast group. :-)

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #1044 on: 29 Oct 2012, 01:50 pm »

For winter forget the fat bike and just get studded tires. That's what the Eskimos do up here in the great white north. We have had about 2" of snow on the ground for the last week. Should melt away soon hopefully. My wife's co-worker has put on studded skins on his trusty steed already.

Rocket_Ronny

Levi

« Reply #1045 on: 29 Oct 2012, 02:12 pm »
For winter forget the fat bike and just get studded tires. That's what the Eskimos do up here in the great white north. We have had about 2" of snow on the ground for the last week. Should melt away soon hopefully. My wife's co-worker has put on studded skins on his trusty steed already.

Rocket_Ronny

I am sure you know what you are talking about.  Check out this film "Epic Alaska Fat biking"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgOgBvRfZ0U

Levi

« Reply #1046 on: 29 Oct 2012, 02:16 pm »
Putting that BS on the side...here is another picture of my friend rolling over our friends' unmarked car.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #1047 on: 29 Oct 2012, 03:08 pm »

Impressive video Levi, esp. riding in snow with those steep banks. If you went over that you would know it.

I have never seen anyone riding a fat bike in winter. The hard core riders just use studded tires. Even those fat tires really need to be studded.

I have ridden my trials bike in winter and it has even fatter tires and it's out of control most of the time. But if it had studs, well that's altogether different.

My wife's co-worker uses studded tires that don't have the studs in the center. So when nice out you are riding on rubber. When ugly out he deflates them a bit to lower the center and is studded.

Rocket_Ronny

Levi

« Reply #1048 on: 29 Oct 2012, 03:53 pm »
FYI, you only need studded tires in ICE not snow (snow is soft).

Levi

« Reply #1049 on: 6 Nov 2012, 05:03 am »

Levi

« Reply #1050 on: 26 Dec 2012, 06:19 am »
The most expensive cycling rain cap.  :-)

JoshK

« Reply #1051 on: 27 Dec 2012, 02:04 am »
ouch...hope that is a misplaced decimal.

Anyone seen Where the Trail Ends?  just watched it tonight.   Inspiring.  Super super steep stuff in that.  Holly crap pucker factor indeed. 

Levi

« Reply #1052 on: 27 Dec 2012, 02:36 am »
Good to hear you are back!

JoshK

« Reply #1053 on: 27 Dec 2012, 02:48 am »
Well I am back as in I am trying again.   But I had major atrophy, so my fitness is basically 1 out of 10 and I need to build it back.  I watch these movies as motivation.   I won't be doing that but it motivates me more than watching lance armstrong.   To each their own.

jackman

« Reply #1054 on: 27 Dec 2012, 02:42 pm »
Hi Josh,
I'm glad to see you are thinking about getting back on the bike. I hate when people say this but please be careful.  Your injury was extremely serious and I hope you tske your time coming back.  You might want to get a stationary trainer and do some indoor training to get your legs back.  Just make sure to get a decent freak we tire.

I hate my trainer but Chicago winters don't give me enough outdoor opportunities to stay in shape. I know lots if guys who still ride outside but it gets dark so early and the icy roads combined with the darkness make it too dangerous for solo riding.  I'm doing the CTS training system and will be on the bike in about ten minutes.

Cheers

Jack

Levi

« Reply #1055 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:59 pm »
This is all I have.

J-Pak

« Reply #1056 on: 28 Dec 2012, 06:14 pm »
ouch...hope that is a misplaced decimal.

Anyone seen Where the Trail Ends?  just watched it tonight.   Inspiring.  Super super steep stuff in that.  Holly crap pucker factor indeed.

That's a good one. My favorite mtb related film this year was Strength In Numbers.

Levi

« Reply #1057 on: 28 Dec 2012, 07:15 pm »
They don't want you to buy it. 

JoshK

« Reply #1058 on: 14 Jan 2013, 05:22 pm »
CK hubs are not upgradeable.

It is cheaper to get a new front wheel.

Just an FYI, CK hubs can be converted. 

http://chrisking.com/files/upload/hubs/ISOInfoSheet4_11_A_1.pdf

Levi

« Reply #1059 on: 14 Jan 2013, 05:32 pm »
That's good to know.  They also upgraded their hubs to 11-speed compatible.  :thumb: