Best NOS 12AT7 tubes for Fet Valve 400R and 600R amp?

steve k

Re: Best NOS 12AT7 tubes for Fet Valve 400R and 600R amp?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:56 am »
steve, do you have a reliable vendor for the Sylvania Gold 6201s?

Upscale Audio

Hydro

« Reply #21 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:19 pm »
The Genalex Gold Lion cryo 12at7's beat every thing I threw at my 350 and 600R. Before that the '60s Mullard gray plates worked best in my systems. Anyone else tried the Genalex?

Kwebb

« Reply #22 on: 2 Apr 2013, 09:40 pm »
Hydro,

I have an AVA 600R amp, and have order a matched pair of the Genalex Gold Lion Cryo 12AT7's.  Should get them tomorrow, I will spends some time listening and let you know what they do compared to the original tubes that came with the amp. 

System
DAC:  AVA FET Valve Hybrid
Pre:  AVA FET Valve Hybrid
Amp:  AVA FET Valve Hybrid 600R
Speakers: Salk HT3's
TT:  VPI Traveler
Room has a bunch of acoustic dampening

Kyle

Kwebb

« Reply #23 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:48 am »
Hydro,

Thank you for the good recommendation.   I received the Genalex Gold Lion Cryo 12AT7's (matching pair) and replace the stock tubes in my FET Valve Hybrid 600R amp.   I let the system warm up about 30 minutes before I played anything.  Then I started listened to digital music (FET Valve Hybrid DAC) and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!  Compared to the stock tubes these Genalex are a GREAT improvement.  There is a wider soundstage, cleaner, more colorful, more resolute, and sweeter sound that is more life like - realistic.  The tonal quality is truly a magnitude better than stock.  Horns, piano, drums, symbols, voices sound even more life like than before.  I only have a few hours of runtime now and having a hard time turning it off, so far so good.
When I first turned the amp on was worried because these Genalex tubes don't glow and I thought something was wrong.  So I double check all switches and connections and then tried some source music and the WOW began.

Frank,

If you have not heard your FET Valve Hybrid 600R with these tubes then you really should treat yourself.  I can definitely recommend them for this amp.

Kyle
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2013, 06:37 pm by Kwebb »

Hydro

« Reply #24 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:37 pm »
Kyle, I noticed you have the same Salk speakers I have. Man do those image. The Genalex tubes are the only tubes that get the air and phasing right guitar pedal effects, have a real sound rather than a tube sound. I have to say they were a bigger upgrade for my Soundlab A-1 system than going from the ultra double 350 to the new 600R. Glad to hear someone else hears the difference I did.

Hydro

« Reply #25 on: 4 Apr 2013, 06:14 pm »
One other thing about the Genalex, I tried them in my AVA dac and they didn't sound nearly as good as Telefunken's. They were brand new then, but I find that cryo tubes don't seem to have much of a burn in time. I'll shut up now.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #26 on: 5 Apr 2013, 01:58 am »
Kyle and Hydro,
Thanks a lot guys for feeding my addiction! I convinced myself that spending $40+ per tube on Genalex tubes would not be worth it.  Now because of you two I think I have got to try them. :lol:

trackball02

« Reply #27 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:44 am »
Thank you about your experiences with the Genalex Gold Lion cryo 12at7s. I think I'll pick up a pair for my 400R.
What on-line store did you purchase them?

Kwebb

« Reply #28 on: 5 Apr 2013, 04:12 am »
let us know what you think once you've tried them!

part number: Gold Lion ECC81 / 12AT7 Gold Pin Cryo Matched Pair

at the following link:

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=304&osCsid=8769dcc99aee530cd2c7700172a54373

enjoy :D

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #29 on: 5 Apr 2013, 10:17 am »
Hydro,
My AVA Dac uses 6CG7 tubes.  I can't find Genalex Gold Lion tubes in this size. Did you use the cryo Electro Harmonix brand?

avahifi

« Reply #30 on: 5 Apr 2013, 03:00 pm »
Actually Dean Barnell sneaked a set of Gold Lion 12AT7 tubes into my shop Fet Valve amplifier a while back while I was out for lunch.  I never noticed any difference at all.

Our ABX box does not let one get away with fooling themselves!  Perhaps I simply need to cryo the ABX box.  :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Hydro

« Reply #31 on: 5 Apr 2013, 03:48 pm »
Nightfall, My dac is an older AVA that uses 12at7's.  As far as hearing a difference in the tubes, I find that all A/B boxes affect the sound, and there is no really good way to instantly compare two componets. It is more, close your eyes, listen to the music and see how much emotion it evolks and how interesting the sound field is. Does my mind wander to other things? or am I transfixed by the preformance. Also, time and again, I find that friends hear imaging differently. I have rolled a lot of tubes and they all sound different. 

Kwebb

« Reply #32 on: 5 Apr 2013, 05:37 pm »
Couple of things:

1) Let me make this unquestionably clear:  On my system the Gold Lion ECC81 / 12AT7 Gold Pin Cryo Matched Pair, made a night and day difference.  This a factual statement.  I will not replace them back to the original tube condition.  This was the only change made to my system in this trial.

DAC:  AVA FET Valve Hybrid (stock tubes)
Pre:  AVA FET Valve Hybrid (stock tubes)
Amp:  AVA FET Valve Hybrid 600R (Gold Lion ECC81 / 12AT7 Gold Pin Cryo Matched Pair)
Room: Very Acoustically Dampened (many acoustic panels and bass traps)

It could be that my system combination is different than others which may explain differing results.  Frank, I can't imagine that your system isn't already dialed into the max with so many improvement tweaks that a normal person couldn't keep track of the improvments. 

2) I have purchase a pair of EH Gold 6CG7 tubes that i will receive on Monday and will try them in my FET Valve Hybrid Preamp.  I will report back on the results.  Below is the link to the specific 6CG7 tube pair that I have coming.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=EH+Gold+6CG7+&search_in_description=1&osCsid=96646e8182ef8a9d8c24ee40e2a0fb40&x=6&y=10

I Love my 2 channel system

Kyle

martyo

« Reply #33 on: 5 Apr 2013, 05:52 pm »
Couple of things:

1) Let me make this unquestionably clear:  On my system the Gold Lion ECC81 / 12AT7 Gold Pin Cryo Matched Pair, made a night and day difference.  This a factual statement.  I will not replace them back to the original tube condition.  This was the only change made to my system in this trial.

DAC:  AVA FET Valve Hybrid (stock tubes)
Pre:  AVA FET Valve Hybrid (stock tubes)
Amp:  AVA FET Valve Hybrid 600R (Gold Lion ECC81 / 12AT7 Gold Pin Cryo Matched Pair)
Room: Very Acustically dampend (many acustic panels and bass traps)

It could be that my system combination is different than others which may explain differing results.  Frank, I can't imagine that your system isn't already dialed into the max with so many improvement tweaks that a normal person couldn't keep track of the improvments. 

2) I have purchase a pair of EH Gold 6CG7 tubes that i will receive on Monday and will try them in my FET Valve Hybrid Preamp.  I will report back on the results.  Below is the link to the specific 6CG7 tube pair that I have coming.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=EH+Gold+6CG7+&search_in_description=1&osCsid=96646e8182ef8a9d8c24ee40e2a0fb40&x=6&y=10

I Love my 2 channel system

Kyle

Hey Kyle, looking forward to your impressions. I have the last generation AVA gear with the HT3's and am running the stock EH tubes.  8)

Kwebb

« Reply #34 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:11 pm »
Martyo,

Will do, might be late monday or tuesday before I have any experiences to share.

Kyle

trackball02

« Reply #35 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:04 am »
Kwebb, I just got the Gold Lion cryo ECC81s and have been listening to them tonight in my 400R. Right out of the box they sound fantastic. I think they blow away the Telefunkens. All of your comments hold true to my system as well (Avastar Preamp and Zu Audio Soul Superflys). I really can hear an improvement no matter what type of music. They are keepers. By the way, the FET Valves are great with rock and electronic music!

Kwebb

« Reply #36 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:20 am »
Trackball02,

Yes, they are a good set of tubes!  I am very glad that you are enjoying  them as well.  Its like all my whole collection of music is all new again and I am listening to it all again for the first time.

Kyle :D

Hydro

« Reply #37 on: 9 Apr 2013, 07:13 am »
Glad you guys are enjoying the Gold Lions. The really good thing about them is that they are in current production and you know you are getting a fresh set of matched tubes and can have some spares. I have been running mine for a couple of years in three FetValve amps and they still sound fantastic. I use an AVA Super Pas with Telefunken's as a preamp on my Soundlab system and the combination is magic. Audio Note preamp with 60' SQ Amperex tubes in my Salk HT-3 studio system, incredible. So many stereo's, so little time.....

Kwebb

« Reply #38 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:04 pm »
Martyo,

Just a quick follow up on the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 match cryo pair tube set.  I received the tubes yesterday and put them in my FET VALVE Hybrid preamp.  They replaced the factory install non-cryo-ed Electro-Harmonix counter part.  The difference in sound was slight but noticable.  I was able to distiquish a little bit better clarity in details such as  brush cymbals and original recording studio echos.  The difference was an improvement but not earth shaking in magnitude.

I have ordered  a matched balance pair of RCA Clear Top 6CG7's (non-cryo-ed) that i will try in this same preamp.  If they provide are a significant improvement then will leave the Clear Tops in the preamp and move the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 match cryo pair tube set to my FET VALVE Hybrid DAC and see how that works.

Tube rolling is fun!

Kyle
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2013, 05:45 pm by Kwebb »

martyo

« Reply #39 on: 10 Apr 2013, 04:57 pm »
Martyo,

Just a quick follow up on the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 match cryo pair tube set.  I received the tubes yesterday and put them in my FET VALVE Hybrid preamp.  They replaced the factory install non-cryo-ed Electro-Harmonix counter part.  The difference in sound was slight but noticable.  I was able to distiquish a little bit better clarity in details such as  brush cymbals and original recording studio echos.  The difference was an improvement but not earth shaking in magnitude.

I have ordered  a matched balance pair of RCA Clear Top 6CG7's (non-cryo-ed) that i will try in this same preamp.  If they provide are a significant improvement then will leave the Clear Tops in the preamp and move the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 match cryo pair tube set to my FET VALVE Hybrid DAC and see how that works.

Tube rolling is fun!

Kyle

Thanks Kyle. I may have to check out a pair. Inexpensive improvement is always good. 8)