Super-V speakers and distance from wall

david45

Super-V speakers and distance from wall
« on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:05 pm »

So I should be getting my new speakers in the next few weeks.   8)
3' or more minimum distance from the wall behind them, but just about how close to the side walls before it messes everything up? I'll be using a projector and I would want my screen to be as wide as possible.

Thanks

Danny Richie

Re: Super-V speakers and distance from wall
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:29 pm »
Side wall issues will be less of an issue with these speakers through the lower ranges than typical speakers. As frequency increases though you will have a side wall reflection just like most any other speaker. So an absorbing panel on that first reflection point will make an improvement.

david45

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:55 pm »
Side wall issues will be less of an issue with these speakers through the lower ranges than typical speakers. As frequency increases though you will have a side wall reflection just like most any other speaker. So an absorbing panel on that first reflection point will make an improvement.

Thanks Danny. I'll have Mr. T diffusors directly behind the speakers as well as right in the middle already so I can easily add an absorbing panel to take care of the 1st reflection point at least on the left wall. Should I assume this is going to allow me to move the left speaker even closer to the side wall than how it is positionned on the picture? What would you say is the strict minimum? 18-24''?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2015, 06:18 pm »
Thanks Danny. I'll have Mr. T diffusors directly behind the speakers as well as right in the middle already so I can easily add an absorbing panel to take care of the 1st reflection point at least on the left wall. Should I assume this is going to allow me to move the left speaker even closer to the side wall than how it is positionned on the picture? What would you say is the strict minimum? 18-24''?

Listen to your imaging and center focus of vocals and let that decide your speaker width.

david45

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2015, 06:22 pm »
Listen to your imaging and center focus of vocals and let that decide your speaker width.

Sounds good thanks for the pointers. It's not like I have to order the screen right away after all...  :thumb:

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm »
I have my 110" projector screen flush with the ceiling and my Super Vs sit under it, just clearing the bottom edge.

david45

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2015, 02:45 am »
I have my 110" projector screen flush with the ceiling and my Super Vs sit under it, just clearing the bottom edge.

Hey Steven,

I probably should have mentionned that my Super-Vs are going to be 59'' tall  :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2015, 03:19 am »
That is going to make a high sound stage.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2015, 07:00 am »

The overall height is approx. 59". The coaxial driver is centered @ 39 3/4" from the bottom of the base.

Ruben

david45

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2015, 02:00 pm »

Ruben is also leaving a blank area at the top (not sure how many inches exactly) which will be nicely covered with the grill anyways. Somewhat of a fake upper baffle just so they can look as tall as the Super-7s but without affecting soundstage height and overall imaging since baffle step loss in taken into account (as discussed with you Danny  :scratch: )

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2015, 03:33 am »

Steven,

Could you tell me, how high is your ceiling and how far back is your projector?

Thanks,

Greg

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2015, 03:53 am »
Ruben is also leaving a blank area at the top (not sure how many inches exactly) which will be nicely covered with the grill anyways. Somewhat of a fake upper baffle just so they can look as tall as the Super-7s but without affecting soundstage height and overall imaging since baffle step loss in taken into account (as discussed with you Danny  :scratch: )

David,

Print out a picture of my super V's and a picture of the Super 7 and put them side by side. You can hardly tell the difference in the look and mine are already plenty tall at 52.5". I think it's deceiving just how big and tall they feel when you are in the room with them, they are a large speaker. I can't think of a good reason to make them taller unless you're worried about baffle step loss? It sounds like you're not if you're going to put an opening above the speaker.

Also the grill cloth is really thin, the opening will show. I don't have my speakers mounted yet and you can see right thru them, maybe a grill cloth behind the hole?

If Ruben has already made them forgive the intrusion.

Just my .02 cents.

Greg
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2015, 07:00 am by gregfisk »

stevenkelby

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2015, 04:03 am »
Hi Greg, sure, ceilings are 8', projector lens is 15' away from the screen and my Super V are 47.5" tall, they sit on short fat spikes on a tiled floor.

Steve.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2015, 07:05 am »
Hi Greg, sure, ceilings are 8', projector lens is 15' away from the screen and my Super V are 47.5" tall, they sit on short fat spikes on a tiled floor.

Steve.

Thank You much Steve, I'm doing pre wire right now for all low voltage and wanted to get a feel for what you have going. I'm wiring for a projector and was looking at the same size screen, my ceiling is 10' and projector is right about 15' as well.

Thanks again,

Greg

stevenkelby

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2015, 08:09 am »
No worries, I'm very happy with my set up and I'm sure you will be too :) I'd love the higher ceilings.

Steve.

david45

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2015, 08:47 pm »
David,

Print out a picture of my super V's and a picture of the Super 7 and put them side by side. You can hardly tell the difference in the look and mine are already plenty tall at 52.5". I think it's deceiving just how big and tall they feel when you are in the room with them, they are a large speaker. I can't think of a good reason to make them taller unless you're worried about baffle step loss? It sounds like you're not if you're going to put an opening above the speaker.

Also the grill cloth is really thin, the opening will show. I don't have my speakers mounted yet and you can see right thru them, maybe a grill cloth behind the hole?

Just my .02 cents.

Greg

Greg,

I've always been a fan of massive speakers. At some point I even had a pair of Altec VOTTs so you can imagine...  :green:

As for the grill material being quite thin, I just messaged Ruben and hopefully something can be done about it.

Thanks for mentioning these 2 points to me and please share your impressions as soon as you can get your Super-Vs playing some tunes.

David

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2015, 10:42 pm »
Greg,

I've always been a fan of massive speakers. At some point I even had a pair of Altec VOTTs so you can imagine...  :green:

As for the grill material being quite thin, I just messaged Ruben and hopefully something can be done about it.

Thanks for mentioning these 2 points to me and please share your impressions as soon as you can get your Super-Vs playing some tunes.

David

Hey David,

That's cool, if you like big speakers the Super 7's have a better flow to the sides and are a bit more elegant for sure. 

If Ruben can make the hole above the speaker a nice shape it may just add to the looks, maybe a horizontal oval or something like that.

Anyway, just got finished drilling all the speaker wiring holes. I used to drill holes for a living with 6' drill bits when I started in the alarm business 40 years ago and I was still nervous doing it with finished speakers. The wood is dense and I want to hide all the wiring so it was a bit tedious working in the corners to say the least. Ruben also installed the NoRes for me so I had to work around that as well.

Well, back to work on my speakers with the soldering gun, something else I haven't done for many years.

Take Care,

Greg

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2015, 08:18 pm »
David,

Just my .02 cents.

Greg

Hi Guys,

The baffle is full height. There is no need to remove any of the baffle above those drivers.

"The taller baffle will likely lift the response a little in the 200Hz range. But then the subs can be dialed back a little to simply shift the crossover point down a little. " - Danny

No see through baffles to worry about. :thumb:

Best,

Ruben