REM, "Automatic For The People" on DVD-a

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 21 Jan 2003, 12:10 am »
I just picked up this disc today, and after a listen I can say conclusively that it creams the CD version!  As is often the case, I'm not totally ecstatic about the way it was remixed for surround, but the increase in air and resolution is undeniable.  Also as usual, the greatest gains were in vocal clarity and treble detail.  The music just lives and breathes in a way I've never heard on CD or LP.  

For the record, I wouldn't rate this as one of the best sounding DVD-A's I've heard, either.  Part of this may be the occasionally distracting vocals and percussion panned too far rearward for my tastes.  Overall, I'd give it an 8.0 or so.  Much better than the CD, but maybe not as good sounding as Steely Dans "Two Against Nature" or Foreigner 4.

I'm really jacked about the possibility of sending my Pioneer Elite to Modwright once the mods are all finalized.  But even stock I'm pretty happy with the sound.  Now if I could just get my hands on some more discs!

Mathew_M

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2003, 02:41 am »
so you've heard the lp?  I own it and am pleasently impressed.  Much more atmospheric. Actually all of R.E.M.'s early stuff on vinyl sounds excellent and much better than the cd.  My questions are:

1: did they fix the annoying echo reverb (not sure how to describe) sound after the orchestral intro of nightswimming? you probably know what i'm talking about.  it exists on both the cd and lp.

2. How's the stereo mix?