BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

schugh

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #840 on: 10 Feb 2015, 05:18 pm »
The balanced outputs don't defeat when you plug in headphones.
If there is a new version of the BHA1 sometime this would be a nice feature.

In the new house we moved to recently I setup my desktop system with the BHA1, Benchmark DAC2 and my headphones.
But I also got the Paradigm Shift A2 loudspeakers which sound great.
I decided to take advantage of the BHA1 outputs to drive the loudspeakers.
But in this case it's a dual use system. I want to use it with my headphones and other times I want to play the loudspeakers.
Unfortunately when I plugged in my headphones a couple of days ago the loudspeakers were still playing.
I will have to plug them into a dedicated power bar which I can use to power the loudspeakers off and on.

-- Sanjay

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #841 on: 10 Feb 2015, 05:26 pm »
The balanced outputs don't defeat when you plug in headphones.
If there is a new version of the BHA1 sometime this would be a nice feature.

In the new house we moved to recently I setup my desktop system with the BHA1, Benchmark DAC2 and my headphones.
But I also got the Paradigm Shift A2 loudspeakers which sound great.
I decided to take advantage of the BHA1 outputs to drive the loudspeakers.
But in this case it's a dual use system. I want to use it with my headphones and other times I want to play the loudspeakers.
Unfortunately when I plugged in my headphones a couple of days ago the loudspeakers were still playing.
I will have to plug them into a dedicated power bar which I can use to power the loudspeakers off and on.

-- Sanjay

Hi Sanjay

Yes the Balanced OUTS from the BHA-1 are in parallel with the headphone outputs so there is no way to mute one over the other.

james

schugh

« Reply #842 on: 11 Feb 2015, 07:50 pm »
Hi Sanjay

Yes the Balanced OUTS from the BHA-1 are in parallel with the headphone outputs so there is no way to mute one over the other.

james

OK, thank you.

Hubert381

« Reply #843 on: 2 Mar 2015, 10:09 am »
>>Also, is there anyone who uses the new AKG K812 with the BHA-1?

Yesss - works great!

guildenstern

« Reply #844 on: 4 Mar 2015, 07:29 pm »
I'm very happy with the sound of my BHA-1 driving balanced Sennheiser HD800. (Source is BDA-2 DAC, fed by either Sonos for streaming services or recently acquired BDP-2 for attentive listening and high-res.)

If I could ask for one thing, it would be a greater range of control when adjusting the volume. Even with the BHA-1 on low gain setting, I find that with the HD800s, things get pretty loud when the BHA-1's volume control reaches just past 9:00, and then even the slightest nudge of the volume knob can lead to a big leap in volume.

As far as I know, I can't decrease the output level of the BDA-2 DAC, but maybe there's a way that I'm not aware of.

But to reinforce the initial positive point -- to me, the BHA-1 does a great job when driving the HD800s balanced.

« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm by guildenstern »

R. Daneel

« Reply #845 on: 5 Mar 2015, 03:39 pm »
I'm very happy with the sound of my BHA-1 driving balanced Sennheiser HD800. (Source is BDA-2 DAC, fed by either Sonos for streaming services or recently acquired BDP-2 for attentive listening and high-res.)

If I could ask for one thing, it would be a greater range of control when adjusting the volume. Even with the BHA-1 on low gain setting, I find that with the HD800s, things get pretty loud when the BHA-1's volume control reaches just past 9:00, and then even the slightest nudge of the volume knob can lead to a big leap in volume.

As far as I know, I can't decrease the output level of the BDA-2 DAC, but maybe there's a way that I'm not aware of.

But to reinforce the initial positive point -- to me, the BHA-1 does a great job when driving the HD800s balanced.

Hi!

You can decrease the BDA-2 output level by 3 dB if you have the BR-2 remote control.

Also, I am not sure why you say the volume on the BHA-1 increases when you get passed 9 o'clock because on my BHA-1, the volume raises very gradually from 9 to 15 o'clock as it has a very "mild" middle range.

A few years ago I talked to James Tanner and he said Bryston was planning on replacing the volume control with a linear type. DId they do this? Does anyone know?

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #846 on: 5 Mar 2015, 03:40 pm »
>>Also, is there anyone who uses the new AKG K812 with the BHA-1?

Yesss - works great!

Hi Hubert!

Is there any hiss you can hear?

Cheers!
Antun

guildenstern

« Reply #847 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:44 pm »
Hi!

You can decrease the BDA-2 output level by 3 dB if you have the BR-2 remote control.

Also, I am not sure why you say the volume on the BHA-1 increases when you get passed 9 o'clock because on my BHA-1, the volume raises very gradually from 9 to 15 o'clock as it has a very "mild" middle range.

A few years ago I talked to James Tanner and he said Bryston was planning on replacing the volume control with a linear type. DId they do this? Does anyone know?

Cheers!
Antun

I say it because that's what happens on my BHA-1 in my setup. You may have a different experience, but I'm reporting what I observe. The basic point is that in my setup the volume control does not offer enough range of control for variation in level.

R. Daneel

« Reply #848 on: 5 Mar 2015, 05:10 pm »
You're welcome...

guildenstern

« Reply #849 on: 5 Mar 2015, 05:20 pm »
You're welcome...

Oh, right, thanks for the tip about the BR remote -- but ouch, that's a costly little device.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #850 on: 7 Mar 2015, 11:41 am »
I say it because that's what happens on my BHA-1 in my setup. You may have a different experience, but I'm reporting what I observe. The basic point is that in my setup the volume control does not offer enough range of control for variation in level.

Hi

We can lower the output of the BDP but it needs a resistor change.

james

steve in jersey

« Reply #851 on: 7 Mar 2015, 01:50 pm »
Hello,

This is pretty interesting for the fact that I've had the same type of "running out of adjustable gain" issues with at least 4 different hp amps
while using the HD 800 headphones. The thing that I find  most peculiar is that the sudden jump in gain occurs at about the same place it
seems it does for the gentleman above ... just a bit past 9 o'clock !

I'm begining to believe that this sudden gain "intolerance" has more to do with the HD 800 than it does with any associated equipment that might be being used with them. Could this have anything to do with  the 800"s impedance "curve" transition not being gradual enough ?

I'd be curious to know if persons who have had their HD 800 straightwired to the headphone cable they're using have a smoother
,more gradual volume changes ? Don't get me wrong my HD 800 still sound fantastic but they're a little more work then other headphones
to find the volume "sweet spot" !

I should state the disclaimer that my signal chain  does not include Bryston equipment (though the BOT-1 looks very interesting) but
the circumstances of the reported volume issues are all too familiar to myself. I think Sennheiser can be a bit "wanting" in some of their
"Design" implementations.

ttsto

« Reply #852 on: 7 Mar 2015, 02:33 pm »
I don't believe is particular for HD-800
I experience similar loud sound when volume is above 9 o'clock and I own HifiMan HE-500, and I believe the same behavior was reported by others in this thread

rob80b

« Reply #853 on: 7 Mar 2015, 11:46 pm »
Hello,

I'm begining to believe that this sudden gain "intolerance" has more to do with the HD 800 than it does with any associated equipment...................

I’ve had similar experiences with my AKGs, Sennheisers and Grados so it’s not the HD800s.

There were a lot of previous discussions concerning the volume adjustments....too little…too much, high/low voltage outputs from different sources…balanced ….unbalanced…affecting the travel restrictions with regards to adjusting the volume.
Believe James explained it was to accommodate the numerous sensitivities of different phones.

“Hi Folks,
 Yes the volume control is designed as the above because we felt given the large amount of Current and Voltage output the BHA is capable of we wanted a very broad range in the middle to allow for the huge variation in efficency headphones have.
 James”

Basically it’s not your traditional linear volume control, at least when using headphones, depending on your source; I had problems achieving enough gain to power my inefficient AKGs and some Sennheisers running a single ended connection from my AVP for movies so that the control was almost maxed out and then that last little bit, lets say 5:30 there’s an exponential jump so that it was then too loud…… running balanced from my BCD-1 the volume is rarely above 9 o’clock.
I’m now running most sources from the tape out of my current preamp, which has a slightly higher output but….. I’m running the single ended output with a single ended to balanced adapter into the balanced input of the BHA-1 so that I’m more or less around 10 o’clock now on the dial for most sources and oddly much more room for fine tuning.
Now I mentioned “at least when using headphones” as when the BHA-1 is used as a preamp I find the gain structure powering speakers acts in the more traditional linear fashion with no major jumps in volume.
Bottom line is that headphones vary too widely in efficiency, current draw, 32ohm?..300ohm?...... but the BHA-1 manages to do a fairly descent job with most of them. :thumb:

KeithA

« Reply #854 on: 19 Mar 2015, 03:43 pm »
James

Will the BHA-1 be available to demo at the Montreal show next weekend?

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #855 on: 19 Mar 2015, 03:56 pm »
James

Will the BHA-1 be available to demo at the Montreal show next weekend?

Keith

Hi Keith

We will have units there but not demoing as you need a separate room for headphone listening.

james

KeithA

« Reply #856 on: 19 Mar 2015, 04:15 pm »
Hi Keith

We will have units there but not demoing as you need a separate room for headphone listening.

james

Ah, makes sense ! Well, I'll drop by anyway seeing how I'm coincidentally in town next weekend (from Newfoundland). I'm interested in seeing a BDP as well.

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #857 on: 19 Mar 2015, 04:26 pm »
Ah, makes sense ! Well, I'll drop by anyway seeing how I'm coincidentally in town next weekend (from Newfoundland). I'm interested in seeing a BDP as well.

Keith

Great - look forward to meeting you.  :thumb:

james

guildenstern

« Reply #858 on: 16 Apr 2015, 08:43 pm »
Hi!

I looked into getting a BR2 remote to decrease output on my BDA2 DAC, but found out it can't be done, according to this e-mail just received from Mike P. at Bryston:

"The ability to reduce the output was available on the BDA1 DAC, but only by
3db, and only because it had rather high output (2.3V).  Since the BDA2 has
a lower output (1.9V), this feature was not included."

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #859 on: 17 Apr 2015, 07:52 am »
Perfect timing! I just programmed it into my remote and was wondering what I did wrong. :D