DAC for squeezebox touch and NAD cd

srb

Re: DAC for squeezebox touch and NAD cd
« Reply #20 on: 8 Feb 2016, 07:22 pm »
It's a Bifrost.   ;)

Bigfishhk

« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2016, 07:46 pm »
I'm surprised you didn't hear much difference between the Squeezebox and Bitfrost Dac. The Touch does have a pleasant sound to it, but it doesn't have the drive and clarity of the Bitfrost in my system. I am running the Uber upgrade.  I will upgrade it to Multibit in the near future.  I the past I have run the Squeezebox through a DIY Chinese Dac with a transformer output which sounded very good.  I also used a Art DI/O dac before that fully modded.   The Schiit Dac sounds better than all of those and represents major bang for buck.  I am running this stuff though a Supratek preamp, Pass labs amp and Eminent Technology speakers and it sounds wonderful.  If you have speakers good enough to resolve the differences between the Touch and and a outboard DAC like the Schiit Bitfrost - go for the outboard DAC.  I haven't played with more expensive Dacs, but I don't feel the need to.
 :D
I have Salk song towers and Rogue 99 tube pre amp and Rogue 100 amp, great sound even with stock SBT. I was surprised but in my system the external DAc made very little difference. sAme with using an Eastern Electric Minimax previously. wIth a laptop and Bifrost I hear huge differences but not with the SBT..  I was surprised by this because my system is pretty revealing. I agree the Bifrost is an exceptional DAC.

mr_bill

« Reply #22 on: 8 Feb 2016, 08:08 pm »
Just spent some time with Schitt Bifrost multibit and the Squeezebox T. After a week's burn in, I did alot of A/B comparison with the Schitt DAc and without it. Very similar results. In many cases I could not distinguish between the two.. which says alot for the actual SQ of the SBT. It surprised me as the Bitfrost is clearly a good piece of kit and would do wonders for a computer..

This is a very interesting comment. Maybe differences in digital are not that great?

Bigfishhk

« Reply #23 on: 9 Feb 2016, 03:25 pm »
This is a very interesting comment. Maybe differences in digital are not that great?
in my system they diffrences are not that great. It would be interesting to hear the SBT paired with the very best DAC's..  I used to have a EE minimax Dac plus and it did wonders for playing files via a laptop esp in solid state mode. When I threw the SBT into the system and lost the laptop,  it got much harder to tell the difference so I sold the EE Dac.  Out of curiosity, I would however be interested in hearing a few other DAC's with the SBT, maybe another tube DAC like the Jolida Glass III. If nothing else it looks damn cool!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #24 on: 10 Feb 2016, 12:56 am »
If you're looking for something cheap and more ying to Bifrosts yang, you might give the Micromega Mydac a try. Formally $400, it's now widely available for $250 online. It will definitely sound different than the "meatier" wolfson and akm based dacs. Smoother and bigger soundstage as well.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #25 on: 10 Feb 2016, 02:24 am »
If you're looking for something cheap and more ying to Bifrosts yang, you might give the Micromega Mydac a try. Formally $400, it's now widely available for $250 online. It will definitely sound different than the "meatier" wolfson and akm based dacs. Smoother and bigger soundstage as well.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that one since it represents something different. And heck it's cheap.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2016, 02:26 am »
 If you're looking for something cheap and more ying to Bifrosts yang, you might give the Micromega Mydac a try.

- have you heard the Jolida Glass tube dac? I assume it too would add a whole new color to the pciture.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2016, 02:07 pm »
If you're looking for something cheap and more ying to Bifrosts yang, you might give the Micromega Mydac a try.

- have you heard the Jolida Glass tube dac? I assume it too would add a whole new color to the pciture.

Unfortunately I have not. At that price point I'm not sure it address what you're looking for. Ie tubes might be good for adding body - maybe dimension - to a cheap dac. But seems like your looking for something different from the NAD & Schitt sound and I have a feeling it's going to be more in that direction than different.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2016, 02:39 pm »
Unfortunately I have not. At that price point I'm not sure it address what you're looking for. Ie tubes might be good for adding body - maybe dimension - to a cheap dac. But seems like your looking for something different from the NAD & Schitt sound and I have a feeling it's going to be more in that direction than different.
Makes sense.. Have you experience with Peachtree Dac-it? I noticed it's on sale for $300 ..

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2016, 12:30 am »
Makes sense.. Have you experience with Peachtree Dac-it? I noticed it's on sale for $300 ..

Sorry - no direct experience with that peachtree dac. I suspect that it's going to be like the similar AW dragonfly w/ the budget sabre dac chip. Ie maybe better bass and more hard stomping, but the Mydac might be more spacious and refined.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #30 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:29 am »
I use a Aune X1 dac with my sb but I'm saving for the latest AUNE that has Sabre Chip... Like $289 on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014FBZCCA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_2g.UwbTSEX8FC