Sylvania 6SN7GT Tubes

shawbros3

Sylvania 6SN7GT Tubes
« on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:00 am »
Nice tubes, measured close to NOS when bought.  Guaranteed not DOA.

A member has pointed out to me that these are not real "bad boys" as they only have 2 holes in the plate.  The dealer (Brent Jessee) I bought them from said there were bad boy 2-hole versions made in 1951.  I just don't want anyone to think I'm trying to sell fakes here.  I also own the 3-hole version and they sound the same to my ears.

Asking:

$70 shipped.  Add 3% for Paypal or send as "gift.  Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2016, 05:54 am by shawbros3 »

jbtrio

Re: Sylvania Authentic Bad Boys 6SN7GT's
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:18 am »
Sorry, but those aren't Authentic Bad Boys. Bad Boys were made in years 51 to 53 and had three holes in their plates.

shawbros3

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:24 am »
Sorry, but those aren't Authentic Bad Boys. Bad Boys were made in years 51 to 53 and had three holes in their plates.

Well these were bought from Brent Jessee and so far I haven't been disappointed with his tubes.  These were made in 1951 and have the 2-holes.  To my ears the 2-hole and 3-hole versions sound identical.  I am not trying to deceive anyone or trying to sell fakes...

Cheers...

From Brent's website:

"Later GT versions were in a medium glass envelope with a green label and blackplates with bottom getter, sometimes called the “Bad Boy” 6SN7, and are sought after for their excellent sonics. The Bad Boy tubes are virtually identical to the military VT-231 from the early 1950s and are currently a less expensive alternative, but this could change as the Bad Boy fad catches on! A side note about Bad Boys, there were versions with 2 rivet holes in each plate, and versions with 3 holes. Both types sound identical. Don’t fall for the bogus story that only the 3 rivet hole types are the true “Bad Boys”! You will miss out on some great sound from the 2 hole type, since the 3 hole versions are more difficult to find, more expensive elsewhere, and don’t sound any different! I suspect the “3-hole only” story got started by my competition to justify charging a higher price for these tubes!”

jbtrio

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2016, 02:10 am »
I didn't imply you were selling fakes, sorry if that is how it was perceived. Brent is a good guy but, is in the business to sell tubes.
To say that the VT-231 and 52 Bad Boys sound virtually identical is just false. The 52 bad boys do bass which are the VT-231's weakness, IMHO.

shawbros3

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2016, 02:25 am »
I didn't imply you were selling fakes, sorry if that is how it was perceived. Brent is a good guy but, is in the business to sell tubes.
To say that the VT-231 and 52 Bad Boys sound virtually identical is just false. The 52 bad boys do bass which are the VT-231's weakness, IMHO.

The tubes I'm selling aren't VT231's.  I have a 3-hole version of this tube as well and the sound is similar, that includes the bass, IMHO.

RDavidson

Re: Sylvania 6SN7GT Tubes
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2016, 12:10 am »
If anyone is questioning shawbros3's intent, I just want to say I've bought items from him in the past with absolutely zero problems. He is an honest seller and a good AC member.

shawbros3

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2016, 07:29 pm »
If anyone is questioning shawbros3's intent, I just want to say I've bought items from him in the past with absolutely zero problems. He is an honest seller and a good AC member.

Thanks for the kind words, RDavidson :thumb:

shawbros3

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2016, 11:34 pm »
Bump...

shawbros3

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2016, 05:48 pm »
Bump...