BDP-2 Digital Player

ozzy

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1320 on: 11 Dec 2015, 10:04 pm »
Chris,

Actually I had both the AES and the usb connected at the same time going from the Bryston BDP-2 to the Direct Stream Dac so I could toggle between those outputs. Do you think just having the AES connected while using the usb output could have caused the distortion?

I should add that this occurred when I had the IAD board installed. I then tried another IAD board and still I got the distortion when playing HiRez files through the usb output into the Direct Stream.

So could the AES/XLR cable and the enabled IAD board have caused the distortion with the Direct Stream when just using the usb output? If so, it sounds like it could have been a ground interference.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1321 on: 12 Dec 2015, 11:22 pm »
Chris,

Actually I had both the AES and the usb connected at the same time going from the Bryston BDP-2 to the Direct Stream Dac so I could toggle between those outputs. Do you think just having the AES connected while using the usb output could have caused the distortion?

No

R. Daneel

« Reply #1322 on: 13 Dec 2015, 03:39 pm »
Hi James / Chris!

I have a question regarding BDP-2. I will be moving and so will my system. But it will have to be stored in it's box for a couple of nonths till everything is taken care of. Is this a good idea? Is there something inside the BDP-2 that could fail if it's not plugged into the mains for several months? A back-up battery or something?

Thank you!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1323 on: 13 Dec 2015, 04:18 pm »
Hi James / Chris!

I have a question regarding BDP-2. I will be moving and so will my system. But it will have to be stored in it's box for a couple of nonths till everything is taken care of. Is this a good idea? Is there something inside the BDP-2 that could fail if it's not plugged into the mains for several months? A back-up battery or something?

Thank you!
Antun

Hi Antun

I believe there is an issue if stored for long periods of time with no power (battery not being charged) but Chris will know better.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1324 on: 13 Dec 2015, 05:08 pm »
Hi Antun

I believe there is an issue if stored for long periods of time with no power (battery not being charged) but Chris will know better.

james

Thanks James!

Okay, I hope Chris will have a definitive answer for me.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1325 on: 13 Dec 2015, 11:24 pm »
Hi James / Chris!

Thank you!
Antun

The boot order might be out of order, but it can be fixed easily enough.  Simply leave any USB drives unplugged when you plug everything back in and power it back on.  Shut it off after a succeful boot and plug your drives back in.

tie_breaker

« Reply #1326 on: 15 Jan 2016, 03:07 am »
Hi Chris,

I just purchased a bdp-2 from an authorized dealer. It was a demo unit. I plugged it in and booted up, after initializing for a few minutes it indicted Error 09.  I noticed that during boot my bda-1 dac which is connected to the bdp-2 locked on the spdif input until the error message came up on bdp-2.  I read on the manual that if this occurs we should open the top cover and make sure that the bdp-2 serial cable is not loose.  I did exactly that and made sure both ends are connected,  tried again. I am still getting error 09, the 3 digits next to the firmware on the display says 188.  This is disappointing. Can you please help me out??Thank you..

Mag

« Reply #1327 on: 15 Jan 2016, 03:44 am »
Hi, my experience with error 09 when using a flash drive it's best to let the unit initialize first before plugging in flash. Not all flash drives cause 09 to happen some do. With an internal drive I would try doing the same thing then connect the drive.

tie_breaker

« Reply #1328 on: 15 Jan 2016, 04:09 am »
Hi Mag, I have no drives connected to the bdp-2 except its own CompactFlash drive that comes with it.
thx..

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1329 on: 15 Jan 2016, 02:29 pm »
Hi tie_breaker,

The symptoms you are describing sound like a loose serial cable on the inside of the unit.  This cable goes from the system board (near the rear of the unit) to the front panel board (mounted to the front of the unit).  There is a picture of the cable in the BDP manual.

ozzy

« Reply #1330 on: 15 Jan 2016, 03:10 pm »
This happens a lot with my BDP-2. Usually after I have updated music onto my drive from another source.
My fix is this;
Turn on the BDP-2 first let it settle in, I think I wait until mfd shows on the BDP-2.
Then plug in your hardrive or flash drives let it read the drive takes a few minutes.
Then I turn on my PS Audio Dac.
Sometimes, I will have to go into "device" settings and make sure the usb drive for the PS Dac turns from red to regular and is disabled.
Works every time.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1331 on: 16 Jan 2016, 07:42 am »
Hi Chris,

I just purchased a bdp-2 from an authorized dealer. It was a demo unit. I plugged it in and booted up, after initializing for a few minutes it indicted Error 09.  I noticed that during boot my bda-1 dac which is connected to the bdp-2 locked on the spdif input until the error message came up on bdp-2.  I read on the manual that if this occurs we should open the top cover and make sure that the bdp-2 serial cable is not loose.  I did exactly that and made sure both ends are connected,  tried again. I am still getting error 09, the 3 digits next to the firmware on the display says 188.  This is disappointing. Can you please help me out??Thank you..

Hi!

I had the same problem with my BDP-1. One particular flash drive would always cause the mentioned Error 09 to appear on the display. Other flash drives worked fine. However, plugging in this drive into the BDP-1 while it was already powered on caused no problems and the player could play the files on it normally.

Still, this same drive causes no problems with my BDP-2.

I followed Chris' advice and reformatted the drive to avoide any chance of data corruption and drive defragmenting but it didn't work.

The bottom line is, it's impossible to tell why some flash drives work and while others don't. The reason must lie within the hardware itself and considering Bryston outsources the mother-bpard, CPU and peripherals, they too can't offer an explanation. Computers are a haze of complexity. But that shouldn't be an excuse when these kind of products are in question as they cost a lot more than ordinary computers.

MoPac

« Reply #1332 on: 18 Jan 2016, 02:48 am »
BDP-2     S2.22     PNY 12GB thumbdrive      ( other drives are SSD )

Guys:
 Tried the above thumbdrive because the SSD drives were starting to get a bit too full.  Put a couple albums on the thumy and after an Update all was well.  Then one night I added another album to the thumbdrive from Windows Explorer and hit the sack being so late ( don't recall if I did an Update before knocking off ).

The next morning I opened MPAD and found there was no library at all.  Not on MM either.  Figured there was a power glitch over night so I powered down the BDP, but it powered down normally indicating no power outage. 

Powered the BDP back up and executed an Update which took a month of sundays.  Figured it was hung, so I powered down again.  After which I yanked the thumbdrive and powered back up.  An update was again slower than normal, but I let it go while having breakfast. 

The Update did finish, but stopped in the middle of the library.  Powered down / up again.  Then went to the computer room and put the three albums that were on the thumy onto the internal SSD.  After another Update, which was normal this time, ( 30 or so seconds ), all was well.   :scratch:

My question is:
 Should I bother with thumbdrives at all?  I think NOT!

Thanks, Rich 

Blik9

« Reply #1333 on: 7 Feb 2016, 09:31 am »
Yes I have, it makes no difference.

Did you resolve the 05-error problem? I have also experinced this with two different BDP-2 players. The vendor says its due to high AC in my house, but the values are well within the normal AC for Norway where I live.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1334 on: 7 Feb 2016, 10:48 pm »
Did you resolve the 05-error problem? I have also experinced this with two different BDP-2 players. The vendor says its due to high AC in my house, but the values are well within the normal AC for Norway where I live.

It only needs to spike momentarily for it to trip the safety.  A multimeter just gives you an average over a number of samples.

Wim J

« Reply #1335 on: 8 Feb 2016, 08:17 pm »
Any news on why Roonlabs RAAT is removed from the latest beta release 2.24? Will it only stay availablein stable release 2.22 and up. Or will it be discontinued?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1336 on: 8 Feb 2016, 08:26 pm »
Any news on why Roonlabs RAAT is removed from the latest beta release 2.24? Will it only stay availablein stable release 2.22 and up. Or will it be discontinued?

We are still talking with them but no final decision yet.

james

Wim J

« Reply #1337 on: 8 Feb 2016, 08:33 pm »
We are still talking with them but no final decision yet.

james
:thumb: keep talking   :D  :thumb:

vonnie123

« Reply #1338 on: 8 Feb 2016, 09:10 pm »
BDP-2     S2.22     PNY 12GB thumbdrive      ( other drives are SSD )

Guys:
 Tried the above thumbdrive because the SSD drives were starting to get a bit too full.  Put a couple albums on the thumy and after an Update all was well.  Then one night I added another album to the thumbdrive from Windows Explorer and hit the sack being so late ( don't recall if I did an Update before knocking off ).

The next morning I opened MPAD and found there was no library at all.  Not on MM either.  Figured there was a power glitch over night so I powered down the BDP, but it powered down normally indicating no power outage. 

Powered the BDP back up and executed an Update which took a month of sundays.  Figured it was hung, so I powered down again.  After which I yanked the thumbdrive and powered back up.  An update was again slower than normal, but I let it go while having breakfast. 

The Update did finish, but stopped in the middle of the library.  Powered down / up again.  Then went to the computer room and put the three albums that were on the thumy onto the internal SSD.  After another Update, which was normal this time, ( 30 or so seconds ), all was well.   :scratch:

My question is:
 Should I bother with thumbdrives at all?  I think NOT!

Thanks, Rich

Thumb drives are handy if you want to transport your music to a friends or elsewhere.  HDD is super cheap storage now....even SSD is reasonably priced.

tie_breaker

« Reply #1339 on: 9 Feb 2016, 03:55 am »

Can Bdp-2 read cue files? I have many albums ripped into single files accompanied by cue sheets.  Bdp-2 interface seems to show the whole album as one song if it is ripped as one file.  Thx...