Is my used DAC defective?

luckyguy

Is my used DAC defective?
« on: 23 Oct 2016, 08:37 pm »
Hello. Just bought my first self standing DAC component, a used Bel Canto 3.  I was looking for an economical way of upgrading my old cdp which is a Pioneer PD 65.  Using plain optical cable the resulting sound is fabulous.  Crystal clear especially in the upper registers.

One problem I have encountered is short "clicking" or "ticking" interruptions on certain tracks on copied cds. :(  So far after 8 or 9 original cds no problems, just smooth music.  Should I experiment with better cables?  Did I buy the proverbial pig in the poke?  Sorry, but this newbie needs some advice perhaps at a very basic level.  Please help.  Thanks.

bacobits1

Re: Is my used DAC defective?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2016, 08:48 pm »
A good place to start would be the optical cable or try the SPDIF connections which should be better.

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2016, 09:22 pm »
How large is the CDR library you plan to use with this unit?  I have also experienced strange sonic artifacts from CDRs in some CD units while the same CDRs are fine in other units.  It is hard to tell whether this is a function of the DAC or the transport.  Do you have a different transport with optical out that you can swap in?  That would give you a better notion of what is happening.   :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2016, 09:24 pm »
That DAC is a very good DAC. I'd use a BNC/RCA cable 75ohm, optical is not good.

The sounds are more likely misreads from CD player or losing sync over the optical.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:21 pm »
Be sure the DAC is warmed up. Clocks can be very sensitive to jitter prior to temperature stabilization. Turn the unit on a few hours prior to playback or just leave the unit on continuously. This is very likely why it sounds fine after several CDs. I've owned DACs that did this as well. It's normal, not a defect. Virtually all electronics benefit from temperature stabilization.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2016, 12:34 am by RDavidson »

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:54 pm »
When you copy a CD you rip it to a file on the hard drive, then write it from the file to a new CD-R. The original ripping probably had read errors, which were written to the copied disks. This causes clicks in the data. You can probably hear the same clicks on any CD player or DAC.  Nothing wrong with the DAC.

Try using a better/different ripping drive in the future to minimize errors. Use a quality ripping software that can verify that the ripped file is accurate, like EAC, dbPoweramp, etc. Then if the ripping drive makes errors, the software will alert you. iTunes and Windows Media Center, Roxio do not care about the data quality of the rip/copy.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:56 pm »
Burning at slow speed is ideal.

luckyguy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2016, 02:44 am »
Thank you all.  Great places to start.  I'll try different inputs and wiring esp. SPdiF and co-ax rca.  I've switched CDPs to my even older X77 Sony with the same clicking results.  Age may have something to do with the laser not picking up all the info?  CDR copy quality together with outlet selection are probably more keys and glad to hear the DAC may not be the problem.  Thanks again--please keep comments or suggestions coming.

Ron

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2016, 02:58 am »
Thank you all.  Great places to start.  I'll try different inputs and wiring esp. SPdiF and co-ax rca.  I've switched CDPs to my even older X77 Sony with the same clicking results.  Age may have something to do with the laser not picking up all the info?  CDR copy quality together with outlet selection are probably more keys and glad to hear the DAC may not be the problem.  Thanks again--please keep comments or suggestions coming.

Ron

Some transports are more sensitive than others and as someone else already stated, errors when burning the CDR will have contributed to the errors being burned into the CDRs.  Not biggie, it does happen but I have not heard such errors since almost 15 years ago.  I once had the Bel Canto DAC 1 and DAC 2, in fact, I had the clicking errors play back through one of the DACs.  I never thought was an error of the DAC because the same CDR made a sonic clicking sound through my car CD head unit. 

Slowing burning speed does make a difference.  See whether your CDR can take a certain X speed...make sure that the burner app follows that or lower.  I have wasted several CDrs by attempting to burn the file in question in speeds not supported by the blank media.

megabigeye

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2016, 03:03 am »
I would try switching back to the analog outputs to see if it's still there only maybe less noticeable.  I've noticed that every time I get a new piece of equipment I find some egregious fault with it, only to realize later that the "problem" has been there all along but I've never bothered to notice it before.  I listen much more critically when I first get a new piece of equipment and so am more likely to hear the faults.  Later I relax and the problems seem to fade into the background again.

Even if it's not still there, it's good to eliminate one more potential source of the problem.

luckyguy

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2016, 06:48 pm »
I have switched back to analog at least twice with the Pioneer CDP and twice with the Sony.  Both instances same results with the clicking occuring with cd copies only when the bel canto dac in play.  Sure feels like the copies aren't supplying enough info or the wires/inputs not sufficient in this instance.  I shall be calling/emailing bel canto this week and explain the problem, hopefully they can be constructive.

Meanwhile I have ordered coaxial wires to use the SPIDF connection.

This is not a plug but I have been using a Folsom 7297 amp the past few weeks to power my mid bass/bass module in my bi amped system.  This little amp must be heard to be believed, such a full clean impactful sound and if I tell you what it replaced, you won't believe me.  This amp is the reason I have decided to upgrade the front end with a used bel canto DAC 3.  Thanks for all the input. :D

bacobits1

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2016, 08:27 pm »
Try any single interconnect on the SPDIF RCA. Most digital spdif cables are not 75ohm anyway unless specifically stated so. I have a Canare Digiflex Gold here that states it is 75 ohms if you need to try, PM me. Where are you located?

srb

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2016, 08:34 pm »
If you have any composite or component video cables lying around they are also ~ 75 ohm.

avta

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2016, 10:47 pm »
Another approach would be to try playing music files from a computer to the dac. A USB connection would be the easiest if you have an A to B type. It's similar to what you would use to connect a printer to a computer. You could use any software player.