Help me choose: Harbeth 40.2 OR Sonus Faber Amati Futura, or something else?

haragr

My system so far comprises of the MSB Analog DAC (maxed-out with the quad DSD input, Power Base, and Volume Control options), the MSB S201 Class A Solid State Amp, Shunyata Research Anaconda Zitron Speaker Cables and Interconnect. What's left to buy is a pair of speakers in the sub 20k price range that'll be a solid fit with my system above. I mostly listen to Jazz and Blues, though I have an enormous library covering many genres. Format of choice is DSD.

I'm thinking about buying either a used-but-in-as-new-condition Sonus Faber Amati Futura speaker system, or a brand new Harbeth 40.2 monitor system. I heard the Harbeth's at RMAF 2015 in Vinnie Rossi's room, and they sounded incredible. And I heard the Amati Futuras at Listenup in Denver a couple of years ago, and they sounded amazing too. Obviously, I have no way of auditioning them side-by-side at this point. So I'm seeking the advice and help of all of you audio fanatics on this forum in making my decision. I am open to other suggestions as well, besides these two speaker systems.

Thanks in advance to all of you. Looking forward to your responses.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
What's the size of your listening area? Dedicated audio room or multi-purpose? The Harbeth's 40.2 are indeed incredible, beautiful sounding speakers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
At this price point, home auditioning is the only way to make a good decision, and the store(s) should darn well allow you to do this (and offer setup advice).  Room and ancillaries cannot be factored in away from your home.  And our tastes (or those of reviewers/sale staff) would certainly vary from your's. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I dont like 3 way speakers but SF is 90dB much more usable than 86dB, Hartbeth will need a monster amp and a stand.

*Scotty*

If you have not already done so, read the Stereophile review. See link.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/sonus-faber-amati-futura-loudspeaker#CGDgjfxTSIJr9kdS.97
My vote goes for the Sonus Faber because of its build quality and sensitivity.
Scotty

JackD

For less than half the price of the SF's and less than the Harbeth's take a look at the Reynaud Concorde Supreme.  Bob Neill of Amherst Audio and Positive Feedback is the importer.  He was a longtime Harbeth and Spendor owner.

http://jm-reynaud.com/concorde-supreme.html

roscoe65

I dont like 3 way speakers but SF is 90dB much more usable than 86dB, Hartbeth will need a monster amp and a stand.

Not true.  The Harbeths are famously easy to drive, despite their low state sensitivity.

OzarkTom

If you can swing $25K, take a look at the Zellaton Legecy's. These won a best of sound award in Muinich last year, and all the big companies shows there. These are so good, you will want to keep them till your grave.

The importer says these Legacy's are now preferred in SQ over the 50-70K Zelletons by many of his customers.

Here are the pros and cons of Zellaton speakers.

http://analoghighend.blogspot.de/2016/04/the-zellaton-studio-reference-one.html

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Here's a a pair of universally praised speakers (TAD Evolution One's) at a very good price, from a great AC contributor:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146263.msg1564965#new

George

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Not true.  The Harbeths are famously easy to drive, despite their low state sensitivity.
By a monster amp, not a small tube amp.

roscoe65

By a monster amp, not a small tube amp.

I will stand my my statement.  A 25wpc tube amp will do very well with Harbeth.  Unless you have direct experience to the contrary you should keep an open mind.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
I will stand my my statement.  A 25wpc tube amp will do very well with Harbeth.  Unless you have direct experience to the contrary you should keep an open mind.
Not sure it you mention will do. I have listen a Dyn audio pocket monitor 88dB w/a Rotel 971 70W and the amp had suffer w/all music genres.
By prevention I would let the Harbeth go by, unless the OP are Harbeth fanboy.