Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

rodge827

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1560 on: 17 May 2016, 02:48 pm »
The HTD gain booster should work well. I had very good results with an IFi iTube from my Outlaw 975 PrePro.  There is an overall sound quality improvement. Only issue is the iTube is about 4x the cost of the HTD Booster.

Chris
« Last Edit: 18 May 2016, 03:13 am by rodge827 »

flat4

« Reply #1561 on: 17 May 2016, 03:22 pm »
The HTD gain booster should work well. I had very good results with an IFi iTube from my Outlaw 995 PrePro.  There is an overall sound quality improvement. Only issue is the iTube is about 4x the cost of the HTD Booster.

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris. The iTube looks interesting. Might wind up giving it a try. I have the input sensitivity on the amp set at 1.4v. There is less hiss that way but still think a booster would help as i could lower the gains. Maybe i will try the HTD first and go from there.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1562 on: 17 May 2016, 03:57 pm »
New here guys. Just purchased an XLS2502 for a great price to try out. Really surprised at the imaging and detail it produces. Of course power and dynamics are not a problem. This is my budget system/home theatre system. So far i am running an outlaw 975 pre/pro with an old Sony cd/dvd player. I also am running some Klipsch tower i purchased open box at a big retailer. It is getting upgraded a little at a time. Next up is some LSA 2.1 towers. Trying to decide on digital. All interconnects and speaker cable will be replaced after that.

I do have a hissing at idle with the amp gain controls all the way up. Was thinking of adding a line level gain unit from HTD so i can turn the controls down. Any suggestions?

The Outlaw doesn't have enough gain to allow you to trim the amp gain? Many of us have found we prefer between noon and 3 o'clock on the dial. Gives you finer volume control on your pre and gets it in a more ideal range for the pre dial as well (pots are at their worst at the low end of the dial).

Odal3

« Reply #1563 on: 17 May 2016, 04:00 pm »
Edit: Roscoeii beat me to it when I was typing so heres a repeat  of his message :D

Many of the comments for the older version of the amp (1500, 2000, 2500) recommended gain to be best around 1 o'clock.

Since you are running it with a pre/pro, check if you can increase the level output for those channels.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1564 on: 17 May 2016, 04:26 pm »
Klipsch are also usually damn efficient, so you'd be more likely to hear a him or buzz at full gain.

flat4

« Reply #1565 on: 17 May 2016, 04:37 pm »
Great suggestions guys! I am trying to learn this pre/pro thing and its adjustments. Had to look in the manual. Lol Seems with the pre/pro adjusted to +10db  internally and the amp set at 9-10 o'clock position keeps the noise down and gives me plenty of volume. It seems to have cleaned up the bass and getting a cleaner more open sound. Maybe i am just hearing things?  I know for sure the more i burn in the pre/pro and the amp it's sounding better. :D

flat4

« Reply #1566 on: 17 May 2016, 04:39 pm »
Klipsch are also usually damn efficient, so you'd be more likely to hear a him or buzz at full gain.

Yes they are efficient for sure so you are probably right about hearing some hiss. These are the R28F's from BB. They will need an upgrade me thinks but for what i have invested in this system so far it is pretty decent to my amazement.

Odal3

« Reply #1567 on: 17 May 2016, 04:57 pm »
Try turning down the pre/pro level a bit so you can dial in the crown amp closer to 1 o'clock gain and  check if that sounds even better. Utilizing a lower level output from the pre/pro will also make it easier to integrate surrounds, center  and subs if you are using it in a HT setup.

In other words, start with the crown amp at 1 o'clock gain and adjust the levels in the pre pro for each channel so you have an even level from all the speakers. The pre/pro normally have a built in test tone but if not there are many multichannel test DVD or surround test video online. Good luck and have fun!

flat4

« Reply #1568 on: 17 May 2016, 05:27 pm »
Try turning down the pre/pro level a bit so you can dial in the crown amp closer to 1 o'clock gain and  check if that sounds even better. Utilizing a lower level output from the pre/pro will also make it easier to integrate surrounds, center  and subs if you are using it in a HT setup.

In other words, start with the crown amp at 1 o'clock gain and adjust the levels in the pre pro for each channel so you have an even level from all the speakers. The pre/pro normally have a built in test tone but if not there are many multichannel test DVD or surround test video online. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you Odal. I am currently only running two channel but plan a center and maybe surrounds. HT isn't really my first priority to be honest. Will be moving in a year and plans are for a dedicated sound room if all goes as planned. This will be a 2nd system. Big thing for me on HT is a center.

Yes the 975 has a test tone. Was trying to get the balance of lowering the hiss and being able to have enough gain for max listening levels when using the volume on the 975. I seem to have it set best i can. Also like mentioned with sensitive speakers i will always have some hissing at idle. So not sure if i should grab the line-level gain from htd as it might not help.

flat4

« Reply #1569 on: 19 May 2016, 08:54 pm »
This thing keeps getting better with time! I haven't finished reading this entire thread yet. Has anyone run 2 in mono? Results? Any internal mods that can or should be done?

Think i am gonna order another. For anyone on the fence on trying one Crown has $50.00 off until June. The company i ordered from had great hassle free service. Love this amp especially for the money.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2016, 01:02 am by flat4 »

Folsom

« Reply #1570 on: 19 May 2016, 11:11 pm »
I'll still perform mods, but feedback has never truly come in for them since almost everyone just had them done before listening. Again I think it sounded much more organic, but it's always nice to have extra opinions.

isitu

« Reply #1571 on: 20 May 2016, 03:35 am »
Is it okay to daisy chain 2 8ohm subwoofers off of 1 bridged xls2500?

thanks for advice,
isitu

isitu

« Reply #1572 on: 20 May 2016, 03:37 am »
I meant 2 4ohm subwoofers...excuse me

isitu

mcgsxr

« Reply #1573 on: 20 May 2016, 10:09 am »
If you mean run the 2 in series creating a 4 ohm load yes.  If you mean run the 2 in parallel creating a 2 ohm load I don't think the Crown is rated for 2 ohms bridged.

JohnR

« Reply #1574 on: 20 May 2016, 10:12 am »
For 2 x 4-ohm subs, it would be simpler to just run the amp in stereo mode.

isitu

« Reply #1575 on: 20 May 2016, 02:45 pm »
I have been running them in a home theater for a year now and the fan never turns on and they sound ok. but...

Just got off the phone with crown and talked to 2 techs(maybe the 2 of you that responded?) and both said no but they didn't say it would kill the amp. They are 2 older eminence 4 ohm 18's

Best thing here is to re wire in stereo. running them in parallel is a touch confusing to me these days...guess I could. just have to stay focused for a half hour maybe haha...we have the revenent on bdp so maybe rewire in strereo for now...maybe not hmmmm

wow...my minds slipping or did a year ago...4ohm + 4ohm =2ohm not 8ohm as in a daisy chain

isitu

« Reply #1576 on: 20 May 2016, 02:47 pm »
excuse me...thank you for your responses. what a great forum!

isitu

« Reply #1577 on: 20 May 2016, 07:34 pm »
got them in stereo now. not much difference in music. wife has a few movies so hopefully get to compare this weekend. anymore comments please tell. and thanks again for the hand in clearing my fog

isitu

flat4

« Reply #1578 on: 11 Jun 2016, 02:25 am »
Anyone have a pic of the insides with the top cover off on the Crown?

Panelhead1

« Reply #1579 on: 11 Jun 2016, 05:09 am »
  I need to look. Thought a few were taken while my XLS-1500 was modified. Planning on modifying a XLS-2000 some more.
  Folsom may have taken more pictures of a stock unit.
  I keep seeing the gain level mentioned. If balanced inputs are used the gain can be fully maximized. The pot is an input attenuator. If things are working correctly, the SN ratio is fine.