Bryston Loudspeakers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2080 on: 18 May 2015, 12:40 pm »
Well, I did it! I have a pair of Model T (passives) on order with a matching center channel in the custom Rosewood finish. Needless to say I'm super excited and will report back when they arrive and have had some good run in time.  :thumb:

Hi

Here is a shot of the outriggers I mentioned.

scirica

« Reply #2081 on: 18 May 2015, 02:47 pm »
Outriggers ordered too. Thanks James!

95Dyna

« Reply #2082 on: 18 May 2015, 03:52 pm »
Hi Scirica

Put the order in for you today - they tell me about 3 weeks.  Congrates - you will love these speakers and after looking at your room they should throw a terrific soundstage for you.

james

Congrats Scirica!  I'm on the verge of a decision myself.  James, what are the characteristics of Scirica's room that will facilitate the "terrific soundstage"

Thanks,

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2083 on: 18 May 2015, 05:04 pm »
Congrats Scirica!  I'm on the verge of a decision myself.  James, what are the characteristics of Scirica's room that will facilitate the "terrific soundstage"

Thanks,

Bill

Nice and open with lots of cubic feet and not a lot of absorption - if he gives me permission I will post the pic he sent me.

james

scirica

« Reply #2084 on: 18 May 2015, 05:55 pm »
You have my permission James!  Just don't give out my address  :lol:

95Dyna

« Reply #2085 on: 18 May 2015, 06:46 pm »

I have an APP that I can just scan the photo and it will give me your GPS coordinates.  Not sure what I'd do when I arrive.  Maybe knock on the door and see if I could buy you a beer  :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2086 on: 18 May 2015, 07:14 pm »

Mag

« Reply #2087 on: 18 May 2015, 08:05 pm »
IMO you want to have the Model T's spaced as wide as possible. In my room spaced 10' apart the speaker acts as a boundary. I don't even hear the speakers but the soundstage imaging between the speakers. 8)

95Dyna

« Reply #2088 on: 18 May 2015, 08:07 pm »
Nice room.  Are those 1038 BE's?  If they are and you are replacing them with Model T's that's a big hats off to the Brystons.  I've heard the 1038's and was very impressed with them except for the very low end.

James, how much does the high ceiling account for the soundstage performance?  My room is currently 16'x21'x10' high and I'll be moving to a similar sized room that is longer but the ceiling is lower 16'x27'x8' high.

Thanks.

scirica

« Reply #2089 on: 18 May 2015, 08:11 pm »
Nice room.  Are those 1038 BE's?  If they are and you are replacing them with Model T's that's a big hats off to the Brystons.  I've heard the 1038's and was very impressed with them except for the very low end.

James, how much does the high ceiling account for the soundstage performance?  My room is currently 16'x21'x10' high and I'll be moving to a similar sized room that is longer but the ceiling is lower 16'x27'x8' high.

Thanks.

Yes, those are 1038be's but they are only on loan as an in-house demo. I do love the mids and highs, but there is something lacking in overall sound stage and as you mentioned the low end.  And the Model T is 1,000's less than the 1038be's.  What I'll actually be upgrading from is Focal Aria 948's.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2090 on: 18 May 2015, 10:33 pm »

Thanks.

Yes the high ceiling just adds a sense of height to the stage but with our speakers first reflections from nearby surfaces are not a problem.

james

Mag

« Reply #2091 on: 20 May 2015, 12:07 am »
IMO you want to have the Model T's spaced as wide as possible. In my room spaced 10' apart the speaker acts as a boundary. I don't even hear the speakers but the soundstage imaging between the speakers. 8)

Took my own advice and widened my Model T speaker placement from 10' to 12' in my 25'x 11'x 8' room. I have them reflecting off the back wall about 40" to the sides of listening chair. I would describe the imaging or soundstage as a little more relaxed and the bass has more body to it considering the heavy bass the T's are already capable of pumping out. Which I think is impressive considering I have a table full of junk to the right and a pile of cd cases to the left.

The reason I hadn't done this sooner is I have a 4.1 set up. But lately I've been listening in 2.1 with just the T's. :smoke:

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
« Reply #2092 on: 20 May 2015, 04:40 am »
Yes the high ceiling just adds a sense of height to the stage but with our speakers first reflections from nearby surfaces are not a problem.

james

Hi James,

Why do you say that ?  Why are "first reflexion not a problem with your speakers" ?

I thaught that "first reflexion" was not a "side effect of speakers" but more related to the structure of the room versus speakers and listener placement.

Unless your speakers are really directionnal, I should guess that "first reflexion" is a problem for any speakers.

You mentionned in the past that the "T's" where very wide dispersion, so I guessed that "first reflexion" could be a problem in that case...  (Victim of your own success...)

So are you saying that the "T's" are less dependant upon "room treatment" ?

(By the "T's" I mean do the Mini/Middle/Full T's the same ?)

Thank you for your time!

Take care!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2093 on: 20 May 2015, 11:09 am »
Hi AJ - put this together this morning for you - hope it helps.

You are NEVER listening in the NEARFIELD or the DIRECT SOUND from the speaker.

HI Folks

Many times I get asked why Bryston is not concerned when placing our speakers in normal domestic audio rooms as opposed to acoustically treated rooms.

The two most critical parts of any loudspeaker system choice is the listening ‘ROOM’ and the loudspeakers ‘POLAR’ response. Recognizing how the room imposes its boundaries (floor, ceiling, walls) on the speaker and how that speaker radiates its energy (polar response) into a specific room is critical to the understanding of the overall performance of any speaker and it is no different for the Bryston loudspeakers.

When you are listening to a loudspeaker in a room you are always listening to balance between the ‘Direct Sound’ and the ‘Reflected Sound’ from the boundaries of the room – this is called the ‘Power Response or Sound Power.’ It is that balance between direct and reflected energy which changes depending on the frequency radiation pattern (polar response) of the given speaker and the boundaries of the room the speaker is placed in.

The ‘direct sound’ is the sound radiating from the front of the loudspeaker and the ‘reflected sound’ is all the sound your ears perceive after the sound waves have interacted with all the different boundaries in the room. It is important given real world conditions that the on axis response and the off axis frequency response of a loudspeaker be as uniform as possible.

Recognize when you listen to a speaker in a room you are NEVER listening in the NEARFIELD or the DIRECT SOUND from the speaker.

This on and off axis characteristic is generally referred to as Polar response. The smoother and more uniform the on and off axis polar response of the speaker the better the tonal balance between the direct sound and the reflected sound will be. In other words, the reflected sound will have the same overall tonal balance and sonic characteristics as the direct sound if ‘on and off’ polar response is smooth and even. This approach also provides the optimum overall 3-dimensional soundstage presentation as well. The Bryston Model-T is a very wide dispersion design so the polar response is very flat on axis and very uniform all the way out to more than 75 degrees off axis in both directions from center to provide a very wide and even listening window.

So the boundaries of the room are used to enhance the listening experience by providing a sense of spaciousness and naturalness to the listening experience.  We all listen in real rooms and our brains are use to interpreting the overall direct and reflected energy in a specific manner.  I find rooms that treat the reflections by trying to absorb them just makes the listening experience very unnatural and almost anechoic.

Also remember that you cannot absorb all frequencies equally as the thickness of the absorption material affects the frequencies it can affect.  So a few inches of fiberglass or whatever absorptive material will only affect a specific range of frequencies – generally midranges and highs so it creates an energy imbalance in the room.

Many people will disagree with me but I have gone the route of serious absorption in many of my rooms and have always reverted back to less absorption is better and I much prefer Dispersion over Absorption. That’s my story and I am sticking to it !

James

Bryston Model T - 0 - 35 Degrees

45 - 75 Degrees

gene9p

« Reply #2094 on: 20 May 2015, 01:29 pm »
Many people will disagree with me but I have gone the route of serious absorption in many of my rooms and have always reverted back to less absorption is better and I much prefer Dispersion over Absorption. That’s my story and I am sticking to it !

James

:beer: here here!!..or should I say hear hear!

Samurai7595

« Reply #2095 on: 20 May 2015, 04:33 pm »

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
« Reply #2096 on: 22 May 2015, 01:58 am »
Thank you James for the detail explanation about the nearfield vs directsound post!

You talk a lot about the Model-T capabilities and specifications as is understandable as they are your flagship speakers, but how do the Middle-T and, more specific to my case, the Mini-T compare ?

For exemple, do you have graphs that shows off the Mini-T comparing SPL vs Freq vs orientation ?

In my case, my room is quite small.  Speakers would be about 5 to 6 foot apart with a listening distance about the same.  I suppose this is considered "nearfield" so I look more into the "Mini-T".  (I've offen wondered if Middle-Ts would be ok...  You once had a picture of a studio which used Middle-T in a nearfield setup...)

I've added some absortion panel to kill some echoe but don't want to over do it to kill the sounds...

I think I'll wait on the room treatment for now until a manage to get some quality speakers.

For a listening environment with the standard "listening triangle" having sides of 5 to 6 feet (speaker-speaker-listener), could the Middle-T do a good job or am I better to stick with the Mini-Ts ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2097 on: 22 May 2015, 02:09 am »
Thank you James for the detail explanation about the nearfield vs directsound post!

You talk a lot about the Model-T capabilities and specifications as is understandable as they are your flagship speakers, but how do the Middle-T and, more specific to my case, the Mini-T compare ?

For exemple, do you have graphs that shows off the Mini-T comparing SPL vs Freq vs orientation ?

In my case, my room is quite small.  Speakers would be about 5 to 6 foot apart with a listening distance about the same.  I suppose this is considered "nearfield" so I look more into the "Mini-T".  (I've offen wondered if Middle-Ts would be ok...  You once had a picture of a studio which used Middle-T in a nearfield setup...)

I've added some absortion panel to kill some echoe but don't want to over do it to kill the sounds...

I think I'll wait on the room treatment for now until a manage to get some quality speakers.

For a listening environment with the standard "listening triangle" having sides of 5 to 6 feet (speaker-speaker-listener), could the Middle-T do a good job or am I better to stick with the Mini-Ts ?

Hi AJ

The Middle T's are the same as the Mini T's except for the extra Bass driver so they will play a little louder than the Mini T but in a small room I think you would find them very similar.

All the Bryston speakers adhere to the same philosophy so you are making 'application' choices not 'performance' choices between the different models.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #2098 on: 22 May 2015, 11:00 am »
Yes, those are 1038be's but they are only on loan as an in-house demo. I do love the mids and highs, but there is something lacking in overall sound stage and as you mentioned the low end.  And the Model T is 1,000's less than the 1038be's.  What I'll actually be upgrading from is Focal Aria 948's.

Nice room

I'm definitely not a fan of the Electra's and given their price the Bryston's and even Paradigm S8's are definitely much better value. I've never heard the Bryston's but have heard the Paradigm's up against both the 1028's and 1038's and preferred the Paradigm's.

I assume you aren't going to be putting the Bryston center in the same place as your current center? Which center are you getting, big or small?

Is that a Sub 25 I see there?

scirica

« Reply #2099 on: 22 May 2015, 01:12 pm »
Nice room

I'm definitely not a fan of the Electra's and given their price the Bryston's and even Paradigm S8's are definitely much better value. I've never heard the Bryston's but have heard the Paradigm's up against both the 1028's and 1038's and preferred the Paradigm's.

I assume you aren't going to be putting the Bryston center in the same place as your current center? Which center are you getting, big or small?

Is that a Sub 25 I see there?
Thanks. Unlike you, I really do like the 1038's but there is something magical to the relaxed, uncompressed sound of the Brystons. And as I mentioned previously, the obvious value statement.

That is indeed a Paradigm sub, but I believe it is the Studio Sub 15. Regarding the center, I got the smaller one. It probably won't fit in the current position until I redesign the front wall next year.