my goodness the 14b3 is a beast!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
my goodness the 14b3 is a beast!
« on: 16 Sep 2016, 11:48 pm »
wow check out the measurements...holy moly, lol i can't even imagine what the 28b3s are like!

http://hifilounge.co.uk/image/attachments/Bryston/Bryston%2014B%20Cubed%20Review.pdf

vegasdave

Re: my goodness the 14b3 is a beast!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2016, 06:32 pm »
wow check out the measurements...holy moly, lol i can't even imagine what the 28b3s are like!

http://hifilounge.co.uk/image/attachments/Bryston/Bryston%2014B%20Cubed%20Review.pdf

wow no replies yet? lol

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2016, 10:15 pm »
It's a Bryston.... :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2016, 12:27 am »
Owned a 14BSST at one point so I'd imagine this one (I believe it weighs even a few pounds more) is quite a beast.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2016, 12:50 am »

vegasdave

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2016, 10:10 am »
Considered a 'perfect' amplifier by some.

ftp://bryston.com/pub/reviews/Swedish%20Review%2014B%20SST,%20part%20III.pdf

james

nice, and congrats! so james, the measurements section of the review suggest to use a 30 amp dedicated circuit. i imagine you agree with this notion. if you do then is there any specific in-wall wiring or a/c sockets that you recommend to really quench the thirst, so to speak, of the 14b3? also, is 30 amp even enough? should want to go even higher? thanks...                             

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2016, 11:30 am »
^ A Hubbell-5362 outlet should be good.

That's a really good review. It's for the -SST amp from 2006 -- and it gets even better with the squared 14B amp!   :D :thumb:

Thanks

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2016, 11:59 am »
Hi James,

This Swedish reviewer interestingly goes out of his way at the end to actually discourage some potential buyers from acquiring the 14B amp. He basically holds the view that the 14B would be out of place in systems that are less than SOTA. I'm paraphrasing here.

I'm curious. Do you also agree with this stance? If so, how should one gauge the calibre of one's system to determine whether it would be up to the 14B's high bar? (I know...The Demo is Everything...but not everyone can demo this :?).

Thanks,
Pete

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2016, 12:52 pm »
Hi James,

This Swedish reviewer interestingly goes out of his way at the end to actually discourage some potential buyers from acquiring the 14B amp. He basically holds the view that the 14B would be out of place in systems that are less than SOTA. I'm paraphrasing here.

I'm curious. Do you also agree with this stance? If so, how should one gauge the calibre of one's system to determine whether it would be up to the 14B's high bar? (I know...The Demo is Everything...but not everyone can demo this :?).

Thanks,
Pete

I think like a engine in a car the amplifier has to be able to drive the loudspeakers and control the motion of the drivers without an sense of stress.  So if your speaker has a very benign load then lower power works great. If on the other hand your speaker is a difficult load with low impedance's and difficult phase angles the larger more capable amplifier is the better option.

So a lot depends on the speaker chosen the room size and the listening levels required in a specific setup.  I think the reason the 14B the 7B's and especially the 28B's do so well in most systems is because many speaker loads are much more difficult than most realize and an amplifier like the 28B just does not give a crap about what the load is  :thumb:

james

vegasdave

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2016, 01:04 pm »
^ A Hubbell-5362 outlet should be good.

That's a really good review. It's for the -SST amp from 2006 -- and it gets even better with the squared 14B amp!   :D :thumb:

Thanks

thanks for the recommendation...i take it you mean the review james posted, true? because unless i'm seeing things, the review i posted was for the 14b cubed lol.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2016, 01:25 pm »
thanks for the recommendation...i take it you mean the review james posted, true? because unless i'm seeing things, the review i posted was for the 14b cubed lol.

Yes, James' review was for SST.
Hope you're liking your cubes!

vegasdave

« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2016, 03:25 pm »
I think like a engine in a car the amplifier has to be able to drive the loudspeakers and control the motion of the drivers without an sense of stress.  So if your speaker has a very benign load then lower power works great. If on the other hand your speaker is a difficult load with low impedance's and difficult phase angles the larger more capable amplifier is the better option.

So a lot depends on the speaker chosen the room size and the listening levels required in a specific setup.  I think the reason the 14B the 7B's and especially the 28B's do so well in most systems is because many speaker loads are much more difficult than most realize and an amplifier like the 28B just does not give a crap about what the load is  :thumb:

james

hey james, i believe in high power (and current) meets high efficiency, especially speakers that dip down to 4 ohms like the jbls i currently use...as far as i know, they should be able to handle the power and current of the 7b, 14b, and 28b cubed. according to techbical support at harman/jbl, they recommended at least the power of the 4bsst, which i also use. i was surprised at this given the high sensitivity rating of 94db...apparently this is what they subscribe to. i think it has to do with the 15" woofer, which has a big voice coil and magnet...

vegasdave

« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2016, 04:30 pm »
Yes, James' review was for SST.
Hope you're liking your cubes!

well, i don't have the amp yet...lol hopefully in the near future...

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep 2016, 06:17 pm »
well, i don't have the amp yet...lol hopefully in the near future...

what are you presently using for power amp?

vegasdave

« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2016, 07:31 pm »
what are you presently using for power amp?

sure, 4bsst pro. :)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 20 Sep 2016, 07:32 pm »
sure, 4bsst pro. :)

what's the diff between pro and regular?

vegasdave

« Reply #16 on: 20 Sep 2016, 08:09 pm »
what's the diff between pro and regular?

i believe they're mostly the same. the pro has level controls on the back of the amp plus different faceplates...ask james to be completely sure though...

vegasdave

« Reply #17 on: 3 Oct 2016, 02:30 pm »
bump

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 3 Oct 2016, 07:57 pm »
Bryston's document on difference between Pro and regular models - http://bryston.com/PDF/Other/STPRO_NOTES.pdf

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 3 Oct 2016, 10:18 pm »
Thanks Phil and VD.
 :green:

Back to the mines....