28B SST

caleb

28B SST
« on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:52 pm »
Hello out there.

Has anyone got the 28B SSt monoblocks yet?

What speakers are you driving with them, and what is your impression??

I wish we could get them here in this third world down here, but we are not yet allocated any I dont think.

caleb

Re: 28B SST
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:18 am »
Oh dear Oh dear!!

After 182 people read this, not one has a reply.

Guess then that you havent sold many 28B SSTs then James??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:42 pm »
Sold 30 pairs so far but most went to dealers and our distributors for demo systems and they do not tend to be part of this forum of course.
Have 28 units still on backorder. There is a review in the magazine Inner Ear Report that came out last week and Stereophile will be reviewing them as well.

We will be using them in our demo room in Vegas as well next week.

james

Paolo Griffani

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2007, 08:50 am »
Hello

i found something interesting about the new Bryston Monsters 8)

take a look

please apologize my bad english and i hope, it's possible for you to understand wat i mean an hopefulli it's not too hard to read :wink:

Greetings from Switzerland

Paolo

"Start review"

REVIEW | AMPLIFIERS

1000 WATTS OF REFINEMENT
BRYSTON'S NEW 28B-SST MONOBLOCKS REVEAL
DELICATE NUANCES IN THE MUSIC
BY ERNIE FISHER

Tremendous power is coupled with incredible weight: nearly 100 pounds per monoblock.

I suspect that most audiophiles know of Bryston Limited as do those beyond the
audiophile camp.Around for more than 40 years, Bryston is one of the few equipment
companies catering to both the audiophile community and the professional audio
industry, including film and recording studios. The Inner Ear has reviewed most of Bryston's
gear and, over the years, I have noticed that the company has gradually but consistently
upgraded its designs-raising the sonic bar at each stage.
With the introduction of the 28B-SST monoblocks, a powerful pair of amps indeed,
Bryston has approached what I consider to be a benchmark for the design of high-end,
high-performance audio. More about this later; first let's look at some of the details.

Appearance
Once you've seen one Bryston amp, you've seen them all.Though different in
weight and dimensions, Bryston amplifiers have retained a signature appearance
through various iterations. Unlike others I do not find such consistency offensive...
it matters not to me, as I am focused on performance.
At 95 pounds, each of these monoblock amplifiers is heavy enough to cause an
inguinal hernia, so I recommend the help of a friend to move them into position-preferably
close to the loudspeakers. Part of the incredible weight can be attributed to the balanced
configuration (two amps in each monoblock) and the massive heat sinks on both sides of
each amp.

The Sound
As they arrived at the same time, I first connected these amplifiers to the WLM Diva
loudspeakers (reviewed in this issue).Once connected to these very efficient speakers, I
fired up the 28B-SSTs and both Bryston's James Tanner (who helped me move these monster
monoblocks around) and I did an instant double take.The sound of this system combination
was not just good, it was outstanding. Both the monoblocks and loudspeakers had been
burned in and our astonishment related to the
extent of "musicality" obviously unexpected by either one of us.This was but an indication of
what was to follow.
When Tanner left, I began my customary testing routine. I had three preamps on hand,
our in-house Wyetech Labs Opal (reviewed in Vol. 10, No.2), the Sim Audio P-8 and the
ModWright Instruments SWL 9.0SE (both reviewed in this issue). I rotated them in and
out of the system and each preamplifier allowed a clear insight into the Bryston's performance.
The Opal/Bryston and P-8/Bryston combinations proved to be more revealing, to be sure,
than the ModWright/Bryston pairing, but I'd have to admit that the sound of the latter
combo was a touch more musically pleasing. I don't mean that it was better, just different, and
very pleasing to the ears.
With the Opal, bass was 100% resolute, right down to pedal-note territory,while with the
ModWright, bass was less firm, but still defined enough to reveal the Brystons' control. Both
preamps confirmed the 28B-SST's midbass veracity-that's the region from about 40Hz to
90Hz. Plucked or strummed bass, electric or upright, sounded wonderfully real; the combination
readily conveyed, for example, the size and body of a traditional upright bass.
The 28B-SST's midrange reproduction-from about 170Hz to 1300Hz-has to be an industry
first among powerful solid-state designs. Instruments performing in this region did not
sound even remotely close to what a typical solid-state design produces.With the Bryston,
the smoothness and bloom reminded me of what I hear from a good single-ended vacuum
tube amp.This may not be to everyone's liking, but I enjoyed the Bryston's brawn at the bass
seamlessly coupling with the smoothness in the midrange, the region where male and
female voices and many instruments perform.
The only frequency range in which reproduction wasn't as smooth as one would get
from a really great single-ended amp,was between about 12kHz and 20kHz.While the
28B-SSTs provided just enough smoothness to make a noticeable difference (compared to
the 7B-SST, for example), they didn't wrap up with tube-like "sweetness".
However,most single-ended amps do not finish top and bottom frequencies entirely without imperfections.
Those who want the aforementioned "sweetness" can attain it with the ModWright
preamplifier, as I did during my listening tests. What you can expect from this combination is
well-controlled bass, a blossoming midrange and sweet top-end frequencies.
You should also know that these Bryston monoblocks provide resolution with unwavering
proficiency.This simply means that the sound reproduction permits listeners to
discern and understand the musical lines and instruments making up a performance.Of
course,most preamplifiers add their own individual "personality", and while the three I used
clearly demonstrated the Bryston's sonic attributes, I'd personally opt for the more neutralsounding
SimAudio P-8 or theWyetech Opal, if money were no object.
Imaging can be best described as the accuracy with which an amplifier, or more
precisely, a system, re-creates the original arrangement of instruments; their size and
location on a sound stage. Clearly, the 28B-SST contributes to imaging, but so does the
source/preamp and speaker combination.The loudspeakers I used for this evaluation come in
at different price points, though it must be said that each of them is of top quality. I began
with theWLM Divas, continued with the Monitor Audio GS60s and the Coincident
Technology Total Victory IIIs (all reviewed in this issue) and finally, because they were on
hand, I connected theWLM Gran Violas (reviewed in Vol. 16, No. 4).As revealed by the
various preamp/speaker combinations I threw into the mix, an impressive sound stage with
clearly defined borders can be attributed to the Bryston amps.All speakers sounded good with
the Bryston amps, offering synergy and revealing the amplifiers' superb sonic imprint.
To find out more about the sound of the loudspeakers themselves, please read the reviews,
which will help you to make better decisions about each product.

Synopsis & Commentary
WHEN THE 28B-SSTS get hot-and they will after playing for a couple of hours-they
sound hot (I mean that in a positive sense). They can sizzle, and I had them cooking up a
lot of wonderful music. Some of my guest listeners could not accept that these
monoblocks sounded closer to tube designs than to solid state.Why, you ask? Here's the
short answer. Generally, powerful amplifiers tend to generate loads of kinetic energy, yet
they often fail to correctly deal with delicate tonal hues and timbres.The widespread
opinion of most in the business-including this reviewer-is that low-powered amplifiers
better convey such nuance and musicality. However, exceptions to the rule
exist-and the Bryston 28B-SSTs are ideal examples.
I had expected to hear/see a really good amplifier, based on my earlier reviews of the
Bryston 7B-SST and 14B-SST, but I hadn't expected to hear a pair of 1000 watt amplifiers
exhibit the kind of sonic sophistication found chiefly among expensive low-powered amps. If
you have a power-hungry pair of speakers, the 28B- SSTs will make them sing; but don't let
that opinion hold you back if you prefer very efficient speakers.My tests clearly show that
loads of power prevents amplifiers from labouring or clipping.The 28B-SST has enough
power and, chances are, you will never use all of it-which can be a good thing indeed.

Authorized reprint of:
The Inner Ear
Volume 17, #3 2006/2007
85 Moorehouse Drive,
Toronto,ON,
Canada M1V 2E2
For subscriptions call
Tel: (416) 297-7968

TECHNOLOGY
The most important thing to know about the Bryston 28B-SST monoblock power amplifiers
is that they are rated at 1000 watts (each), although they can provide up to about 1,200
watts per channel. Irrespective of the load of any speaker under the sun, these fully balanced
amps will drive it to earbleeding levels. To accomplish this feat, Bryston's head designer,
Stuart Taylor, designed a new input circuit to work with 32 output devices and capacitance of more
than 160,000 micro farads. The amps have no wiring in the audio (power) signal path and
also have extremely low distortion-typically 0.005% from 20Hz to 20kHz at 8 ohms.
However, for me, the most impressive measurement is the
signal-to-noise ratio-an astounding 118dB. Other features include
newly-designed input circuitry, extremely low noise-typically <-118dB-selectable gain
(2V-23dB and 1V-29dB), a greatly improved common mode rejection ratio (which
reflects the cancellation in a balanced line of common mode signals induced into it), two sets
of speaker outputs for biwire connection and a remote 12-volt power trigger input. The input
impedance is rated at 50 kohms for single-ended and 60 kohms balanced operation.

FACTS
MODEL
28B-SST
monoblock
amplifier
MANUFACTURER
Bryston Limited
DIMENSIONS
8 (h) 19 (w) 19 (d) (rack mountable)
8 (h) 17 (w) 19 (d) (C-series face plate)
WEIGHT
95 lbs per monoblock
FASCIA OPTIONS
silver; black
RATING !!!!
PRICE (US)
$7,000 each
CONTACT
Bryston Limited
bryston.com

"End of review"

I hope, Bryston will allow us, to hear this Monsters as soonest possible at home :thumb:

Greeting's from switzerland

Paolo

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2007, 05:51 pm »
Here is the link to the 28B SST review.

http://bryston.ca/pdfs/07/28BSST_InnerEar.pdf

james

Ron D

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2007, 09:41 pm »
Any updates in terms of anybody actually seeing these in the flesh and what your opinions are?

Tx
Ron

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2007, 12:08 am »
Hi All,

There are over sixty 28B's out there now.
Three suberb reviews coming - one from Italy, one from England and one from USA.

james

Ron D

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2007, 12:35 am »
Ok James all "biases" taken into account you if anybody has probably logged enough hours for a decent break-in. I currently have a 14B-SST and given I do not have a huge room nor large inefficient speakers (Talon Ravens rated 6 ohms nominal and 4 ohm min impedence as well 90dB) what would moving to a pair of 28B amps get me?

Do they require a dedicated 20A line for each amp as my 14B (15A version) barely gets warm on its own 20A line?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2007, 11:50 am »
Ok James all "biases" taken into account you if anybody has probably logged enough hours for a decent break-in. I currently have a 14B-SST and given I do not have a huge room nor large inefficient speakers (Talon Ravens rated 6 ohms nominal and 4 ohm min impedence as well 90dB) what would moving to a pair of 28B amps get me?

Do they require a dedicated 20A line for each amp as my 14B (15A version) barely gets warm on its own 20A line?

Hi Ron,

Well taking into account my obvious biases, as you say, I think I can describe the differences for you. Take into account that all these comments assume the amplifier is not having issues with the loudspeaker load.

The 14B SST sounds very 'smooth' and 'controlled'. The soundstage starts at the speaker and extends backwards so the perspective is that you are some distance from the performance. Most reviewers and listeners liken the 14B to a more "tube-like" sound. The 7B on the other hand is more 'forward' and has a bit more 'punch' to it. So if your system sounds a little 'reticent' you would probably prefer the 7B. If your system is more 'in your face' I think the 14B would appeal to you more.

The 28B is somewhere in between. The difficulty with large amplifiers is that their "power curve" is generally optimized at about 1/3 there power rating. In other words the best noise floor, drive capability and distortion is maintained from about 1/3 power and up. That is why I think most listeners prefer smaller simpler transistor amplifiers and even single ended tubes etc. on very efficient loudspeakers like 'horns' etc.  A significant part of the design criteria for the 28B SST was to develop a very powerful amplifier that would drive any speaker load but maintain an "ideal power curve" at 1 watt as well as at 1000 watts and every power level in between.

The Bryston 28B-SST Mono amplifier maintains its power curve right from the first watt. This results in a BIG POWERFUL amplifier that sounds incredibly detailed and musical at very low levels and maintains that same sophistication and drive capability with even the most difficult, inefficient speakers, large or small.

The 28B is available in either a 15 amp or 20 amp version but like most big amplifiers the limitation on current and voltage draw is the wall-plug (do I hear a 'plug' for Torus?)

Hope this helps - biases and all.

james