damaged Shure Ultra 500 and AT ML150OCC

Nick B

damaged Shure Ultra 500 and AT ML150OCC
« on: 11 Aug 2016, 05:12 pm »
Im getting back into phono after a long...8 year....break. My Ultra 500 stylus is trashed as the cartridge body separated from the headshell. Have been researching about a replacement and Shure hasn't offered a stylus for the Ultra in years. Jico has a couple including one for $300, but that's a lot for such an old cartridge. Can anyone recommend a replacement stylus?

I also found a brand new AT ML150OCC as I was looking thru my audio stash. Wasn't aware I even had it. Is anyone familiar with those carts and can advise if one is sonically superior to the other? I just ordered a phono pre and can't spend the money right now on a Dynavector or Soundsmith Zephyr

Thanks,
Nick

richidoo

Re: damaged Shure Ultra 500 and AT ML150OCC
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2016, 06:24 pm »
Is it similar to AT 150MLX? I  liked that cart very much.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2016, 07:56 pm »
The new Jico SAS looks pretty good, but no user reports yet?   Both of these are SAS tips with sapphire cantilevers:
http://www.jico-stylus.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=shure+ultra+500&x=15&y=4

I think the more expensive one has a tie wire and the other doesn't.

The ML150 is similar to the MLX, but with some notable differences.  The cantilever is beryllium rather than boron, and compliance is higher.  Max VTF is 1.55g.  With internal impedance of 2.5K the motor is similar to MLX at 2.3K.   Med/light arm is recommended. 

I think you have a NOS gem with that cart.  Try to keep total capacitance load < 200pF. 
It might have an extra long break in.  AT MMs can take 50hrs or more and yours has been sitting. 
neo

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2016, 08:15 pm »
Is it similar to AT 150MLX? I  liked that cart very much.

Hi Rich,
Well, it's great that  neobop knows the AT carts. I am leaning toward using the AT cart and have an offer via pm for the Ultra. Are you doing any vinyl right now?
Nick

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2016, 08:22 pm »
The new Jico SAS looks pretty good, but no user reports yet?   Both of these are SAS tips with sapphire cantilevers:
http://www.jico-stylus.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=shure+ultra+500&x=15&y=4

The ML150 is similar to the MLX, but with some notable differences.  The cantilever is beryllium rather than boron, and compliance is higher.  Max VTF is 1.55g.  With internal impedance of 2.5K the motor is similar to MLX at 2.3K.   Med/light arm is recommended. 

I think you have a NOS gem with that cart.  Try to keep total capacitance load < 200pF. 
It might have an extra long break in.  AT MMs can take 50hrs or more and yours has been sitting. 
neo

Thanks neobop,
I appreciate the information. My new phono pre has various capacitance and loading options, but I really don't know much about that right now. The AT 150 appears to be a good match with my Graham 1.5 arm. Bob Graham felt most any cartridge would work, except for those that are somewhat heavy
Nick

djEmpire

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2016, 08:27 pm »

neo

Just to add...Apparently this cart is one of the best AT has made, you'll love it!  Pity it's discontinued. The VTF is actually 1.25 +/-0.3. Oddly, too little VTF can cause more wear than more VTF.
Pic from my ML150:

*Scotty*

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2016, 10:22 pm »
When insufficient VTF is used, the stylus literally rattles back and forth chattering its way down the groove, generating tremendous forces at each point of impact along the way.
 This damages the record immediately and the stylus in a very short period of time.
Scotty

Nick B

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2016, 10:33 pm »
Thanks much for the AT info.

That light VTF is a concern to me. I have limited experience in vinyl, but I don't think I've ever seen one that low
Nick

djEmpire

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2016, 10:53 pm »
When insufficient VTF is used, the stylus literally rattles back and forth chattering its way down the groove, generating tremendous forces at each point of impact along the way.
 This damages the record immediately and the stylus in a very short period of time.
Scotty

Makes sense.
I remember in my early spinning years, some pressings had so much bass I would place a dime on the headshell in order to keep the styli from dancing around.

*Scotty*

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2016, 01:12 am »
If audio-technica gives you a VTF range you should be safe if you stay within the boundaries. I run an AT 440ML with a AT150 MLX stylus and I set my VTF based on the HI-FI New and Record Reviews test recording tracking test bands.  See link below:
https://www.amazon.com/HiFi-News-Test-Producers-Cut/dp/B00KMCL1PE
Scotty

Nick B

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2016, 05:07 pm »
If audio-technica gives you a VTF range you should be safe if you stay within the boundaries. I run an AT 440ML with a AT150 MLX stylus and I set my VTF based on the HI-FI New and Record Reviews test recording tracking test bands.  See link below:
https://www.amazon.com/HiFi-News-Test-Producers-Cut/dp/B00KMCL1PE
Scotty

Didn't think about a test record, although I've used my test CD numerous times. The stylus looks to be very fragile.......

G E

« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2016, 06:01 pm »
I have had my Well Tempered Amadeus for a few years and I continue to marvel at its ability to play music.

It was a demo close out I got for about $2k  plus full warranty.

It is slightly lean sounding but it delivers PRAT in spades.

The Simplex model is the entry level model.