Larger subwoofers

oliverbubbles

Larger subwoofers
« on: 20 May 2016, 07:14 pm »
I am the recent new owner of a larger Sub woofer. The best I can tell it is an original larger sub. it is the tallboy design. I have also acquired more drivers that match and plan to build 2 more so as to run 3 of these in my dual purpose (2 ch listening and HT ) rig.
Question i have is that since I'm building a couple from scratch, has anyone else ever built any of these from specs Brian gave that may be slightly different in volume, shape, etc. from reading I see where these are listed as having 6.75 ft cubed and then the new largers are listed as having somewhat over 8 cubic feet of volume. When i measure mine the internal volume does not come out to even 6 ft cubed but around 5.75. however if I account for total volume that the enclosure takes up from an external focus it is over 6. This even includes the base are for the slot loaded passive. Does anyone know the true internal volume of any or all of the larger sub-woofer designs? Also the dimensions that i find given for these online; are they total dimensions including the slot area? or are they just eh cabinet portion? When i build I would naturally like to make a much heavier, more thoroughly braced cabinet, and possibly even vary the shape somewhat to better suit my space and therefore my wife. Since Brian did not use any "normal" modeling for these, it would be nearly impossible to reverse engineer them and since there appear to be no specs for the drivers it cant even remotely be worked out that way. Even the different drivers he apparently used in these  (supposedly) similar designs (larger and new larger, etc.) had very different specs for the most part. So the safest bet is to use what is known that Brian did and have it work.
Does anyone know the actual internal volumes of these models? does anyone have any detailed measurements of these models specifying the cabinet only portion and also the slot load portions dimensions separately?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: Larger subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2016, 07:54 pm »
You should talk to John Casler - he is the VMPS guru.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2016, 09:14 pm »
The TallBoy LARGER is often sought after and while I haven't measured the two, I would think the TB has a greater Cabinet volume overall.

The exact, if there is such a thing, measurements  went with Brian, and maybe a couple guys who worked in the factory might have a clue, if they are following any of the posts.

The best idea is to "go with what you know", in that if you already have a cabinet, THOSE measurments would be more valid than any printed or written down somewhere.

And there are a handfull of the 15" Ultra Passive Radiators still available.

oliverbubbles

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2016, 12:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies. John, I am keeping those passives in mind. I would definitely prefer them as i am sure they would greatly improve the sound from the much greater displacement they have over the original passives from the original Larger sub design. I have to keep an eye on the funds for this whole project.
My confusion on the volume is that the internal volume of the tallboy that I have does not match any published spec I can find for the volume of any of the larger subs. So i was wondering if the published volumes are the entire volume of enclosure outside dimensions, possibly. And if so is that just for the enclosure section or for the entire enclosure including the slot loading area?
If there are any others out there with larger subs, can you please measure your subs and let me know the dimensions of the main enclosure as well as the slot are. or if anyone else actually knows the internal volumes of these from measurements they have personally taken, please advise.

Conradicles

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2016, 01:28 am »
I had the Tallboy Larger and it was my 1st "real" bass box. Wish I could help with the dimensions, but I will look around to see if I have any old info. I miss that bad boy. Peace.