What is the best way to play digitized (high and low rez) music under 10K?

srb

Where did you read that?

...I think the issue here is that this is not a product designed for thousands of music files and the management of such.  it is really much more applicable to someone wanting to listen to and have access to hundreds of files rather than thousands....
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82098.msg816697#msg816697

No the BDP-1 can play any number of songs. It just takes longer to load a T-BIT drive over say a 16-G thumb drive which takes a few seconds. Once the USB drive is loaded it stays loaded and you can access the song lists very quickly through whatever interface your using - mPod, iPad, iTouch, iPhone your computer, minion etc. or Bryston web interface.

I realize some people want to play with thousands of files at a time but I think most will use the BDP-1 as I do.

For instance I have a 500G USB hardrive connected to the back of the BDP-1 and it has about 5000 songs on it.  Then I have about 10 Thumbdrives with different material - a Jazz one, a Classical one, a top 25 favorites etc. which I use from night to night depending on my mood.

One of the things I have noticed since I have been using the BDP-1 is I tend to use it more like a large CD player rather than a server.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82098.msg847142#msg847142

I would say about 10 minutes with 1TB - but once scanned the access to the material is very quick.  But as I have said before I do not think the BDP-1 is for those folks wanting to deal with thousands of songs. It is really geared more to someone wanting to managing and listen to hundreds of songs with the highest quality possible.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82098.msg846715#msg846715

Steve

TomS

The Auraliti can use local USB and/or network attached storage via NFS as long you have avahi or equivalent installed.  Reducing contention for the USB ports is probably a good idea, so run it from LAN.  The current version does S/PDIF via BNC to 24/192 as well as USB 24/192 if you want it (the Bryston doesn't), and a USB only optimized version is in the works for about January.  They use an MPD server, the same as Bryston, so it can be controlled by any of the MPD clients out there such as Minion for Firefox or MPod on the iPod.  There is no front panel interface, as in the Bryston.  The software for both is pretty much all open source, so free.

skunark

This is a pretty fun question, but perhaps a personal question?   :scratch:

Tomorrow if I was going to drop 10k on gear to play back hi-rez and low-rez music.  I would pick up the Bryston BDA, BDP, mac mini, ipad and an apple tv and spend the rest on hi-rez tunes.. I would be content that i've covered both simplicity and quality.    I'm sure it's not everyones cup of tea but it would be challenging to do better.

jamesg11

"If you decide to go with a computer device, the Apple Mac Mini equipped with an SSD internal drive and controlled with an iPod Touch or iPad is a quiet, compact possibility."

SRB - where do you go for this SSD mod on the Mac Mini: info & retailer?

Thanks.

srb

SRB - where do you go for this SSD mod on the Mac Mini: info & retailer?

Mach2 Music, http://www.mach2music.com/index.html either sells an already modified new Mac Mini, or they will modify your existing Mac Mini.

The upgrade package for an existing Mini includes 2GB > 4GB upgrade, installation of a 40GB SSD drive and their Mach2 software modifications.

You would have to ask them if they would do an SSD-only upgrade, but if not, any local Apple store or retailer could easily do it for you.

Steve

roscoeiii

Software game just changed a bit today, with Pure Music supporting FLAC now. Will save me a lot of hassle coverting files from FLAC. Nice program, with some great features and capabilities. And uses iTunes interface though bypassing its effects on sound.

morganc

Can you use the remote app through the itunes to run the Pure Music?  That is how I control my Mac Mini. 
Thanks,
Morgan

Robin Hood

Save some money and time and just get

The best Mac:
Mach2 Music Server - $1495

The best players:
Pure Music player - $129
AyreWave ~ $100
Audirvana - free

The best remote and portable player:   
Apple iPod Touch 32GB or iPhone 32GB - $299

The best DAC under $2K:
Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 - $1499

The best digital recorder under $2K for digitizing your vinyl:
Korg MR-2000S - $1799

Total - $5,321
 :D

roscoeiii

Robin,

Yes that is a nice set-up, but if OP has the budget, there are better DACs than the W4S. Maybe not at that pricepoint, but spending more on a DAC would pay off. Only OP can judge if it is worth it. For the DACs, I would take ted_b's list and audition those whose descriptions look most interesting. Even with restocking fees, the ability to audition in your system is worth it.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Can you use the remote app through the itunes to run the Pure Music?  That is how I control my Mac Mini. 
Thanks,
Morgan

If Pure Music is running, there is no problem using remote. I use vnc to gain access to the mini (which is headless) from my iPad. If I am on the iMac, I use screen sharing for more granular control.

TONEPUB

Anyone try the PS Audio perfectwave dac and bridge?

The PerfectWave is excellent.  We reviewed it a few issues ago.  Our reviewer bought it and I compared it to the Naim 555 and my dCS Paganini stack.  Not bad at all.

If I were spending 10k on a DAC, I'd probably go for the dCS Debussy, or if I needed disc play as well, the SimAudio Moon 750 is excellent, though a bit above your budget at 12k.  If you don't mind used, there are a handful of Wadia 781's floating around for about 9-10k and if you don't need SACD playback, the new 381 is great for about $7500.  Excellent DAC.

avta

Don't forget the Wadia 521 dac. I have one and although it's limited to 24/96 the sound is very natural and it has an excellent digital volume control built in. For reasons I don't understand this dac is rarely mentioned in articles and reviews which in my view is unfortunate.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Don't forget the Wadia 521 dac. I have one and although it's limited to 24/96 the sound is very natural and it has an excellent digital volume control built in. For reasons I don't understand this dac is rarely mentioned in articles and reviews which in my view is unfortunate.

I'm sure it's still a great DAC, but the OP assumes sources include a computer server and another source (discs).  The 521 is not only limited to 24/96 but has no USB or firewire for the computer, so it requires a computer interface like M2Tech (hiface, Evo), Wavelink, Weiss, etc.  That cost and any addtl cabling should be added to this (and some of the other DACS mentioned) to provide a full solution.

firedog

What server, Woodsyi?  it makes a difference, cuz if it's a MAC, then a direct connection (firewire preferably, or asynch USB) DAC is in order.  If it is a pc then you might need an S/PDIF to USB interface before the DAC (budget $1k max).  A newly discussed Linux-based server, Auralitii, is $799 and S/PDIF based.  Some say it is the quietest most musical out there.  More to come...

Off the top of my head stuff.......

Great DACs I've heard that play redbook to 24/192:

primary connection is firewire:
Metric Halo LIO-8 $3400  (also is an 8 ch DAC if needed, MAC -based software, can be driven directly to some amps)
Weiss DAC202 $6k (can be a digital preamp as well)
Prism Orpheus ($4k) (also an 8 channel DAC, can be driven directly to some amp)
Weiss DAC2 ($2300 used...mine :)  )

primary connection is asynch USB:
Antelope Zodiac Plus ($2500)
Ayre QB-9 ($2600) USB only
Wavelength Coscecant ($3500-6k depending on options) (tubed)
Wyred4Sound DAC2 ($2k) (Can be driven directly to some amps, includes HT bypass)

primary connection is S/PDIF and/or AES/EBU (i.e USB is not 24/192 or USB is not good aysnch interface):
Forsell MDAC-2 ($3k)
Eastern Electric Mini Boulder modded ($1500+ depending on mod) (tubed)
Berkeley Alpha ($5k) (can be digital preamp)

I'll add more.   Several of these DACs sound only average until about 400 hours.  A real PITA when eval'ing them.   :o

I've not heard some of the other contenders: the PS Audio PWD/PWT, Audio-GD ref 7, Cantata or Wavelength Crimson...

Ted, how do rank the DAC's - purely in terms of sound quality for 2 channel listening?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Software game just changed a bit today, with Pure Music supporting FLAC now. Will save me a lot of hassle coverting files from FLAC. Nice program, with some great features and capabilities. And uses iTunes interface though bypassing its effects on sound.

Where did you see that PM supports (or will be supporting) FLAC? 

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Where did you see that PM supports (or will be supporting) FLAC?

It's due to be included in the next release.

roscoeiii

PM 1.7 is out now and includes FLAC capability.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Firedog, I really can't rank them for you because I have different tastes, different hearing, a different room and different synergy with my system.  I've ehard a bunch and any of the ones I've listed here (plenty not listed that I heard and wouldn't think about purchasing) are very good and are candidates for a great system.  Some are drier and more detailed, some are wetter and more organic, but since a system is like a recipe....some systems need a dash, some need a lot of salt, and some need pepper.  There is no right answer.

Additionally, new DACS I'm going to evaluate, whether inhome or at places like this week's CES (worst case) are the new M2Tech Young (24/384k), the new MP-3 from Playback Designs (32/2.6Mhz DSD), the Antelope Zodiac Gold (24/394) or maybe revisit the Antelope Zodiac Plus with the new Volticus external power supply.  Antelope claims it adds that heft and weight the Plus could use, which could make it the real winner in many systems...like mine.  :)

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
PM 1.7 is out now and includes FLAC capability.

How do you get iTunes to handle FLAC?