CDP-8/9

VintageFlanker

Re: CDP-8/9
« Reply #60 on: 10 Dec 2017, 03:06 am »

VintageFlanker

« Reply #61 on: 14 Dec 2017, 02:13 pm »
Also, a first review, which seems to conclude that way:
Upgrade the CDP-9 would be necessary for getting the full performance...

http://review.u-audio.com.tw/reviewdetail.asp?reviewid=1408

From Google Translate :

"Power upgrade, not an option, is required

NuPrime CDP-9 there is a place to upgrade, after trying, I almost think it is necessary to upgrade. That is the power. The CDP-9 is so small that it has CDs, a variety of wires, and no room for power at all. Therefore, the CDP-9 is the only one in the 9 Series that uses an external power supply. The original is attached to the ordinary exchange of power supply, although in line with industry standards, but also the Ming Wei such manufacturers products, but the output is still limited, 15V, 1.2A maximum output. I put KECES P8 linear power supply, this unit is dual-output version of this hand, one cut to 15V, the current output is 4A. The KECES P8 uses toroidal transformers, each with its own output ground and low noise levels. The chassis is made of 4mm thick aluminum alloy and isolates EMI / RFI electromagnetic waves. Put on, the sound of the entire triple jump, not only sound density is more solid, more full thickness, the ups and downs of music and contrast more intense, music dynamic more prominent, and the background is more quiet. Orchestration of large orchestration, whether it is subtle lines in the show, or a large dynamic when the energy sense, are more prominent; and large volume, the dynamic section is more calm and organized. Listen to the difference between the drums even bigger, it seems that the original weight of 200 pounds, plus P8, at least 300 pounds or more, and retractable faster and more neat. Just listen to Dali CD 4 again this album will understand, if you do not understand, put a Michael Jackson, Bao Zhisisha to. In fact, the original design of the CDP-9 should have a separate power supply, NuPrime do not understand the power design, but this way, the price is not so cheap. If you are hesitant to consider audiobooks, please inform the store in advance, prepare a power supply for you, I am afraid you listen to CDP-9 also No commitment to pay, after listening to the power of the sound after the upgrade, it was frozen. "

kaka89

« Reply #62 on: 14 Dec 2017, 04:05 pm »
Also, a first review, which seems to conclude that way:
Upgrade the CDP-9 would be necessary for getting the full performance...

http://review.u-audio.com.tw/reviewdetail.asp?reviewid=1408

From Google Translate :

In fact, the original design of the CDP-9 should have a separate power supply, **NuPrime do not understand the power design**, but this way, the price is not so cheap. If you are hesitant to consider audiobooks, please inform the store in advance, prepare a power supply for you, I am afraid you listen to CDP-9 also No commitment to pay, after listening to the power of the sound after the upgrade, it was frozen. "

The correct translation for the second sentence is: "It isn't that NuPrime does not know how to do power design, but the price won't be so cheap if it is included."

The article did strongly suggest upgrade the power supply, I wonder why.

VintageFlanker

« Reply #63 on: 14 Dec 2017, 04:34 pm »
The correct translation for the second sentence is: "It isn't that NuPrime does not know how to do power design, but the price won't be so cheap if it is included."

The article did strongly suggest upgrade the power supply, I wonder why.

Reminds me the case of Chord 2Qute. The designer himself (Rob Watts) strongly claims that a power supply will NOT improve his DAC in any way... but no, many HeadFi membres continue to claim the opposite. I chose to believe Rob Watts in this case.

Any thoughts, Jason?

JackD

« Reply #64 on: 15 Dec 2017, 03:07 am »
Not so sure what's so puzzling about the recommendation to upgrade from a supplied wall wart to an outboard linear power supply.  Pretty common place in today's audio marketplace.  Many manufacturers who sell the products with wall warts also sell upgraded power supplies for their own units.  Pretty sure you can find one for a reasonable price from direct sellers like Swagman, HD Plex and TeraDak for a reasonable price. 

As an example here is one for the NuForce Icon which used a similar power supply from the factory.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teradak-DC-30W-15V-1-6A-NuForce-Icon-HDP-linear-power-supply/222532768560?hash=item33cffc9330:g:twMAAOSwCU1Y0rp1

pawsman

« Reply #65 on: 15 Dec 2017, 12:18 pm »
Jason,
If I wanted to upgrade the power supply for my CDP-9, which one would Nuprime recommend?
BTW, I'm enjoying my CDP-9 greatly; I've found that upsampling everything to 768k PCM yields a very
natural, organic sound with Classical orchestral music (my main listening genre)-

pawsman

rustydoglim

« Reply #66 on: 21 Dec 2017, 07:42 pm »
People always want to push the limit and squeeze out every ounce of improvement. Any linear power supply that matches the voltage will be ok.
We can't recommend anything else because we don't keep track of what's out there.

yarrob

« Reply #67 on: 11 Jan 2018, 12:27 am »
I've had my CDP-9 for two weeks now and listened to CDs only.
Room:
  apartment bedroom/study
System:
  CDP-9 --> AVI DM5 active bookshelf speakers
Primary music:
  Weather Report - Columbia Studio & Live box set
  Naxos 30th Anniversary box set, John Williams - The Guitarist box set
  Motown - Hitsville box set,  80s Miles - Decoy & Star People
Impressions:
  I primarily listen to classical, jazz, R&B and rock.  My previous CDPs have included Linn, Sony ES, and ADCOM.  I would say that while the sound does not hug you, its accuracy and detail can be uncanny.  Similar to other listeners, I found the soundstage to be narrower than expected - especially for the DM5s.  Perhaps this will expand over time, or maybe if used with a different pre/amp.  Regardless, voice, strings, percussion, piano, guitar, etc. are all rendered naturally with accurate timbre, and the separation is excellent.  Live recordings are more nuanced w/ CDP-9 versus my older gear.  Again, like another listener, I enjoy the PCM 768 SRC setting.
  I intend to try some different cables and possibly another PS, but I do think it is very good CDP.  I do not think it is great or a real giant killer given the stage width and a lack of the 'you are there' experience from the best, but it has a very clean and analytical (not distorted) sound. It works for me in my room with AVIs and the music I enjoy.

- yarrob
PS IMO Jazz and CD box sets seem to be a great buy these days.  Incredible, historical music with artwork and notes to boot.

Nidri17

« Reply #68 on: 27 Jan 2018, 08:19 am »
@rustydoglim

Hi Jason, I know you said that CDT-8 transport is shipping soon (last week Jan).
But I was wondering if the CDT-10 model you mentioned is worth waiting for.
Is there a big difference in performance, or is it mostly cosmetic design?
Thank you.

Regards,
Nidri

Tom Davis

« Reply #69 on: 27 Jan 2018, 06:33 pm »
I have the same question as I will be mating a new transport with the TDSS modified IDA-16: I suspect that the CDT-10 will be a better match aesthetically, but I'm more curious if the "insides" of the CDT-10 will be essentially the same as the CDT-8.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

rustydoglim

« Reply #70 on: 31 Jan 2018, 08:02 pm »
CDT-8 Pro shipping date still not confirmed, hopefully within the next 2 weeks.
CDT-10 has the same fundamental design as CDT-8 Pro, the might be some improvement but I don't know yet.

Tom Davis

« Reply #71 on: 1 Feb 2018, 08:41 pm »
Thanks for the update.

Even if they have the same "insides," I suspect I'll wait to see what the CDT-10 ends up looking like before committing.

Thanks again.

left channel

• Everyone wants to date my avatar
« Reply #72 on: 2 Mar 2018, 04:56 pm »
Any update on CDP-8 Pro availability?

rustydoglim

« Reply #73 on: 3 Mar 2018, 03:56 pm »
It is shipping now.

left channel

« Reply #74 on: 3 Mar 2018, 04:27 pm »
It's not yet listed by Audio Advisor or Sonic Unity. All or most of your other US dealers are not set up to sell online, but I tried two of those websites and don't see it there either.

rustydoglim

« Reply #75 on: 3 Mar 2018, 04:39 pm »
I will remind them to list it.

left channel

« Reply #76 on: 3 Mar 2018, 10:34 pm »
Thanks. The Brand Uprise site is not listing it either. And they are not listed on the NuPrime website. (Wow. I must really want this thing. :-) )

rustydoglim

« Reply #77 on: 5 Mar 2018, 03:16 pm »
Brand Uprise is a distributor.  John Casler is helping them as their dealer and also sales consultant.
Just call John on the nuprime website to place your order over the phone.
Whatever you need, just call John  :thumb:

left channel

« Reply #78 on: 5 Mar 2018, 03:50 pm »
Thanks, actually John already messaged me and I've placed an order.

left channel

« Reply #79 on: 12 Mar 2018, 09:35 pm »
Received! My fifth NuPrime purchase, the CDT-8 Pro, is in the house. Many thanks to John for his fast response, and to the factory for the fast drop-ship. My first impressions have been great, once I got past an initial scare: the unit powers up into standby mode, and I could find no way to turn it on from the front panel.

The manual says there are power buttons on the front panel and on the remote. Actually, there is no button labeled "Power" on the front panel. Although I tried pressing all the buttons there including "Standby", nothing happened and I feared the unit was defective.  I figured out later that one must press and hold the Standby button for a few seconds to put the player to sleep or wake it up.

Before figuring that out I tried the remote. The remote did not include batteries, and although impressively substantial it really should not require a type of disassembly that — in the hands of the average consumer — will almost always result in some damage to the black color and possibly the metal of the four screw heads. Once I had the remote powered, I was able to turn the CDT-8 Pro on and eventually figured out the Standby button trick. 

I connected the player via coax to the nearest DAC, and have been enjoying Bob Kenmotsu on saxophone while putting the CDT-8 Pro through its paces. Upsampling works great, the controls are very responsive, the build quality of the player and the remote (battery access aside) is impressive, the feet are very well designed, and most important: the sound is fantastic! All is well here in CD Land.

[Edit: *fifth* NuPrime purchase. Forgot about the STA-6 I replaced with an STA-9.]
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2018, 03:17 pm by left channel »