PDR Super V build

PDR

• May the best man win
PDR Super V build
« on: 2 Nov 2012, 10:54 pm »
I had a V-1, traded it for a Super V kit a friend had ordered but wanted finished speakers
pronto....so lucky me.

It will take a while for the kit to arrive up here in Canada, and because I mostly work
out of town, it will take a while to build. I want a bit of a different look and this is what I
finally came up with, some may like it and some may not, thats ok, my V-1s were a bit different
and was happy with the way they turned out.

I'll document my build in this thread, they will be a bit more difficult than my previous builds,
but I think if I take my time I can turn out a nice, but bit different Super V.

Basically I've stuck to the plans for the top baffle, Danny explained that I needed sides for
the baffle to work properly, so they are to spec. The bottom is the same inside demensions,
just a thicker (2") wall size and a rounded top.

I just learned Sketch-up so still a little crude, but you'll get the drift.
Any suggestions or criticism is appreciated right now is just lines on paper.

Thanks

Perry

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: PDR Super V build
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm »
You've got to name it Tombstone Super V  :)  Looking forward to seeing progress, curves are always challenging.

It looks like you're doing screenshots of your Sketchup model...correct? If you want to get rid of your constuction and guide lines for graphics you post, try this  File>Export>2D graphic    and stick that in some folder you can easily find...like this:

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2012, 11:27 pm »
Cool design Perry, can't wait to see the build! 

Best,
Ed

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2012, 02:14 am »
I love the look Perry  :thumb:

I love how you have changed the aesthetics and made it original,  but have not compromised the functionality at all so they should still sound as good as possible   :)

Will you put the filter network in that angled compartment on top?

What do you have in mind for the base? Will you put a bigger base on it or just leave it as is?

How will you build the curve? Thin sheets glued, stacked and then curved to dry?

What will you use, Ply or MDF?

I've used MDF a lot in the past for car audio sub boxes, furniture etc. but much preferred working with ply for my Super V build even though it's more work to finish the end grain. It smells nicer too :)

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2012, 10:51 pm »
Been out of town for 2 weeks.....back today and whats at the post office??
6 big boxes...... :D
I forgot how much stuff Danny packs into these!
The Jupiter caps are cool looking.....the Bigger PAudio co-ax are just that...BIGGER
I've unpacked everything to check for damage....looks good....its amazing how
much floor space all the parts cover when laid out on the carpet.

Its been quite a while since my V-1 build...they were the last project, so I'm really looking forward to making dust...

I neglected to answer the questions asked on this thread.....sorry, working out of town
makes me spend just a little time on the interweb....but I've taken almost a month off
to look after the farm....(thats what I told my wife anyway, its really to build Super Vs)...
while my wife and daughter travel to France.

So yes, I want to put the x-over in the angled compartment, but I want a bronze plexi glass to cover it so you can see it....I did this on my V-1 Servo amp cabinets but it was too dark, you could barely see inside, this time will be much lighter.
Speaking of the amps, I've yet to design an enclosure for them. Spending tme with my V-1s I found that I played with the controls a lot, prob more than I should...but measuring with REW and placing two additional subs in the room I found myself tweaking a lot, so I want something that gives me better access to the rear...I'll have to figure something out.

I'm going to build the whole thing out of MDF, the sub compartments will be 1/2" Kerf cut to form the round, both inside and out side bends, this will leave a 1" gap between....the lower box is 2" wide...the void will be filled with a polymer type of thin set, these will be very heavy and inert.....I hope. Kinda like sand filled only concrete base instead. The inside void will be sealed first (probably Weldbond or diluted white glue)so the "wet" dosent ruin the MDF.

Thanks for the tip on Sketchup....I'm old and computers are still a mystery to me for the most part.

I'll take pics of all the parts Danny sent and post them later.....tomorrow its buying the
sheet goods day...I can hardly wait. I'm like a 52 yr old kid waiting for Santa..... 8)

Perry

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2012, 11:42 pm »

I'm going to build the whole thing out of MDF, the sub compartments will be 1/2" Kerf cut to form the round, both inside and out side bends, this will leave a 1" gap between....the lower box is 2" wide...the void will be filled with a polymer type of thin set, these will be very heavy and inert.....I hope. Kinda like sand filled only concrete base instead. The inside void will be sealed first (probably Weldbond or diluted white glue)so the "wet" dosent ruin the MDF.

Thanks for the tip on Sketchup....I'm old and computers are still a mystery to me for the most part.

I'll take pics of all the parts Danny sent and post them later.....tomorrow its buying the
sheet goods day...I can hardly wait. I'm like a 52 yr old kid waiting for Santa..... 8)

Perry

Perry, I'm no spring chicken, and I barely scratch the surface of what Sketchup is capable of, but it's a cool tool.

FWIW, my understanding is that what makes sand effective at dissipating vibration is the very nature of it, (individual particles). It's more "fluid" than a monolithic mass and thus diffuses vibration better. Intuitively this makes sense to me, but I can't explain the science behind it.

Years ago I made some plinths for speakers out of concrete. Someone on a forum suggested that they would "ring" and actually make a poor coupling between speaker and floor. Tapping on them with a screwdriver did indeed produce a tink, tink sound so there may be validity to the assertion.

It sounds like you're thinking of using polymer modified thinset mortar. It has some limitations and may not produce the desired result. Might be worth it to mock up something. Manufacturers generally reccommend that its maximum thickness not exceed 1/4" because of shrinkage. In this case, you'd probably be better off with something like this;
http://www.laticrete.com/architects/products/thin_set_mortars_adhesives/medium_bed_mortar.aspx

Again, I can't back this up with anything but my seat-of-pants knowledge and observations, but it occurs to me that while mortar would certainly add mass to the stucture, sand would be more effective at diffusing vibrational energy.

Edited to add: Moisture in mortar will re-emulsify white glue or anything water based and absorb into the MDF. If you go that route, I suggest something more impervious like epoxy.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:17 am »
Peter, thanks thats just the kind of input I need.
Its not a actual thinset its another product that doesnt shrink at all....BUT...
You make a great point, I should of thought about it my self.....I'll use sand.
Sometimes you get a idea and you just miss the obvious....sand would be less
work and less hassel....maybe its dementia....

Any other suggestions from anyone would be more than appreciated.
My ego takes a big back seat here....

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2012, 01:20 am »
Pics of the goods.....

Dimfer

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2012, 11:02 am »
Go Perry Go!

you know I want to hear this pair when you're done....

Fernando

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2012, 01:45 pm »
Looks like candy  :thumb:

Donald

« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2012, 02:03 pm »
Perry,

I envy the talent you guys have on this board. :thumb:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2012, 11:35 pm »
As of today I have one of the bottoms almost ready.
There is still a lot of work to be done....filling and sanding....
before painting, but you get the drift.
The second one is just drying from glueing up, so
I'll router that one tomorrow.

The sand has made them heavy already....55lbs went into
the 2 cabinets combined.

These were fun but a lot of work, looking forward to the top baffles,
they will be much easier.

Heres a few pics of how I built them...... :D

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2012, 11:48 pm »
Wow, that is just too cool  8)

You have some serious creative juice.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2012, 11:53 pm »

Very nice and unique.

Must be that Alberta sunshine that inspired you.

Rocket_Ronny

HT cOz

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:58 am »
Perry this is going to be one of the best builds ever!

ebag4

« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2012, 02:00 am »
Perry this is going to be one of the best builds ever!
x2

Very cool Perry, I love the Wurlitzer vibe I am picking up.

Best,
Ed

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2012, 02:02 am »
Cool!  A baby Wurlitzer bubbler!  :D

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2012, 02:03 am »
Very impressive, well done Perry, going to be amazing!

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2012, 02:20 am »
Hi PDR and all Audio Circle members.

A rock solid beauty.

Guy 13

mykyll2727

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:26 am »
Wow, that is just too cool  8)

You have some serious creative juice.

+1!!!