My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

Jon L

so AN switched to mylar. According to the AN website, these MIOs take even longer to burn in.

Best,
KT

Interesting you mention mylar.  Mylar and mylar-in-oil capacitors definitely have an interesting, unique sound, which some may find a great alternative to the paper-in-oil sound.

KT

I personally have never listened to the Mylar-in-Oil but am curious to learn more about them.

We'd love to hear your assessment of the MIO sound vs. PIO.

Best,
KT

Jon L

AmpOhm Polyester Film Aluminum Capacitor

Many people believe polyester capacitors are cheap and bad-sounding and tend to avoid anything that says "polyester"; however, most of this belief stems from bad experience with cheap polyester capacitors, not serious polyester film capacitors like the AmpOhm pictured above. 

True film polypropylene capacitors (i.e. ERO KP1832) tend to sound better than metallized polypropylene caps, and so do film polyester cap like AmpOhm compared to MKT caps.  In my experience, cheap, small MKT caps tend to sound rough, bright, and forward, lacking true extension and refinement.  Some of them do sound decent and maybe even "good", but they are not going to be mistaken for good teflons or PIO's anytime soon.  So when I first inserted the AmpOhm polyester film cap after the burn-in apparatus and heard a brightish, thin sound, I said to myself, "Yup, that sounds like polyester."  But following my usual protocol, I let the caps burn in more in the actual amp position for a long additional period. 

When I came back to the rig, I could hardly believe what's happened to the sound.  The sound gained an intense, clear, "juicy" quality that was irresistible, especially for female voices.  Upper-midrange to midrange was translucent and illuminated with glowing floodlight with every detail present yet with no grit or grain.  The tangible palpability was off the charts and perhaps one of the most "fun" times I've had with the human voice.  The degree of presence was akin to the proverbial female singer closely singing into your ears. 

This is very different from the polypropylene presentation, which does not highlight the midrange presence as much.  The treble and bass of the AmpOhm polyester cap is probably in the same ballpark as good polypropylene film caps, but the midrange is definitely something special and unique.  In addition, this is not a cap to be used lightly if you have weaknesses in digital front-end, interconnects, power conditioning, etc.  The sheer amount of detail and presence in the midrange will not be kind to hard, forward source or components, which is very different from AmpOhm PIO caps, which tend to be more forgiving of such things while remaining musically revealing.  At any rate, this capacitor has opened my eyes to polyester film capacitors, and I hope to try some others built to the same high standard in the future. 

KT

Nice update, Jon. The AmpOhm polyester sounds fantastic.

Any word on a copper version?

I suspect that all AmpOhm caps have ceased production, if the rumor is true. That means these polyester caps, too? They may be a rare commodity.

Are you aware of any other polyester caps currently in production that have a similar sound? It would be nice to get some in the future if needed.

Best,
KT

AudioCap

Nice update, Jon. The AmpOhm polyester sounds fantastic.

Any word on a copper version?

I suspect that all AmpOhm caps have ceased production, if the rumor is true. That means these polyester caps, too? They may be a rare commodity.

Are you aware of any other polyester caps currently in production that have a similar sound? It would be nice to get some in the future if needed.

Best,
KT

KT - you are right that there is no longer any further production of these. We have a couple of hundred pieces of Ampohm Mylars in stock in values across the range, and I know that thetubestore.com also has stock of these. But that's about it at the moment - unless anyone else knows of stock elsewhere....

oncle_tom

Hi Jon,

are the Ampohm Mylars oil-filled?

Thanks,
Peter
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2009, 02:44 pm by oncle_tom »

Jon L

Hi Jon,

Thanks,
Peter

No, these particular ones are not oil-filled. 

AudioCap

Hi Jon,

Thanks,
Peter

No, these particular ones are not oil-filled.

There are two Ampohm Polyester series: Dry Mylar (which are the ones tested above) and Mylar-in-oil:

Jon - if you'd like me to send you a mylar-in-oil to test out, send me an email (I'd have sent this as a personal message, but that doesn't seem to be working on my computer....)

AudioCap

Jon,
Samples on their way!
Matt

Jon L

Jon,
Samples on their way!
Matt

Thanks!  That should be interesting  :thumb:

hotroady

I want to get Ampohms soon, but hard to decide which ones. Each new one tested, seems to improve on the characteristics I want!

JakeJ

Hey Jon,

Lookin' for an update on the Ampohms.  aa

Jon L

Hey Jon,

Lookin' for an update on the Ampohms.  aa

I'm a little bit side-tracked by my Grounded Grid preamp project at the moment, but it's coming..

jrebman

John,

Are any of these the basic poly film cap that ampohm sells?  The ones that don't say anything about oil filled and are smaller and cheaper than the mylar/aluminum/oil?

I'm a little confused about which is which now.

-- Jim

JakeJ

Thanks, just wanted to shake the tree a bit to see what falls out.  :green:

I'm in the planning stages of a HagTech Cornet2 that will incorporate a Piccolo head amp using a Bugle PS.  I already know it ain't gonna have $550+ worth of V-Cap TFTFs in it but I'd like the initial recipe to start out nicely.  I do have some of the Russian Teflons so maybe I can get a taste what the V-Cap can do.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Question. I installed v-cap teflons in my amps. Now after a year or so I've learned they wre installed backwards, meaning + to - and visa versa. at this time with all the break in does anyone know if an improvement will be had if installed with the correct orientation. If so would an extensive break in be required again ? BTW they are coulping caps to the input and output tubes. .47 for input, .1 for ouput.
   Thanks for the help,

charles

Browntrout

Try them the other way round and see. Let us know if you can hear a difference. Cheers, Ben. In fact you might as well fit new ones the right way round if you are going to the bother.
 Mega nice stereo by the way! :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Try them the other way round and see. Let us know if you can hear a difference. Cheers, Ben. In fact you might as well fit new ones the right way round if you are going to the bother.
 Mega nice stereo by the way! :thumb:

Thanks Ben. Just thought I'd ask before going through the effort. I would think the only benifit would be a quieter signal due to the shielding of the cap . The only true way to tell is to change and listen as you suggested. Again trying to avoid the obvious.
 If ya ever get to NY come on over for some nice Italian food and a little listen. My pleasure.

charles

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
I just discovered some great new caps!

http://www.kccaps.com

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

turkey

Frank, these caps are even better than the ones you found.  :D

http://www.customwheelweights.com/store/merchant.mvc?page=C/CTGY/LDVSC

Blinky lights are always a good thing.