Force Speaker Level Adapters on Balanced Out Amp?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Force Speaker Level Adapters on Balanced Out Amp?
« on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:46 pm »
I thought I remember this being discussed at some point, but my searches are not finding it.

Is there any problem using the speaker level adapters on the Force sub (female RCA with pigtails that came with the sub) if I have an amp with balanced outputs... that is, no common ground?  I have a pair of stereo amps bridged into mono using the L and R + output terminals?.

I have two Force subs, one for each channel and bridged mono amp, though I also have it connected to my AVP via the Theater input.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike Dzurko

Re: Force Speaker Level Adapters on Balanced Out Amp?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm »
Safest thing to do is check w/ the manufacturer of the specific amp.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2011, 04:15 pm »
Let me try this again since I'm getting close to having a new pair of amps up and running, and the amp manufacturer kicked it back to the speaker manufacturer  :wink:

The basic question is... when using the speaker level input adapters (RCA pigtails provided with my Force subs), is the signal floating/isolated from ground?

Thanks.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:22 pm »
Here's the reply from the manufacturer of the sub amp and converter:

The Line Level Converters we used were just simple voltage dividers.  I have attached a drawing of the schematic.  The extra 100 ohm resistor is just there in case the other resistors short it can not put a short on the output of the amp feeding it.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2011, 01:15 pm »
Hi Mike... thanks.  Funny, after posting again I poked around your archived website again and saw that Triad was the manufacturer, contacted them and got the same message  :)

Triad said it should be OK.  I'm still not sure it's entirely "safe" to do with my power amps, but that manufacturer says the concern is with damaging the sub amps and not their amps so I may just give it try  :o