Integrated/PreAmp Recommendations

Francation

Re: Integrated/PreAmp Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2017, 07:54 am »
I would not buy the Schiit Vidar yet, a product that I have followed these days. There have been some complaints about the first series and some speaker cables (for capacitance). Presumably they will solve it soon.

My other option was: Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153645.0

Re: Schiit Vidar, I saw that discussion and it gave me some hesitation, but they have a good warranty and it seems it was just an issue with the first batch?

Re: Icepower 1200AS amp, it seems quite promising from Mike's review, but Mike seems to be a "polarizing" character on other forums. I will wait until some customers get their hands on it and give their feedback. Also the 6+ week wait for the parts is too long for me, since I need an amp now. If it turns out to be anywhere near the product he is saying, it looks like an AMAZING value.  :thumb:

Regardless, I purchased the Hegel H80 tonight so we will see how it works out first  :green:

maty

« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2017, 08:06 am »
I have been following bavmike for years in the Diyaudio forums.

I had always ruled out class D because of his problems with highs, his lack of naturalness.

For being him and his trajectory the sales of a product have been shot that nobody else has listened.

It is a problem of trust. Right now Shiit Vidar does not have much.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 16 Nov 2017, 11:10 am »
As fast as digital playback technology is moving I'd consider any DAC in an integrated to be a throw away/good as a backup.  Had one in a $1500 preamp a few years back and it was definitely the weak link/after thought.  With the H80 being 3+ years old, that'd most probably be true, but Hegel does seem like a good brand. 

A better option for a digital only or digital top priority system is a DAC that includes a preamp.  I had a $500 Emotiva DC-1 DAC/preamp/headphone unit a couple of years ago and was reasonably satisfied with it (sound was a bit harsh/not delicate), but no HT bypass.  At these prices you might be better off giving up on a built-in DAC and going with a 'disposable' DAC like AudioQuest Dragon Fly, iFi, or Meridian Explorer 2.   

maty

« Reply #23 on: 16 Nov 2017, 11:34 am »
I keep several threads about hard in other forums (hidden from Google).

Only $499 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NuForce STA200 160-watt Stereo Power-Amplifier, GOLMUND Swiss-design!

https://www.amazon.com/NuForce-STA200-160-watt-Power-Amplifier-Swiss-design/dp/B01552AKCU

[IMG Inside amp] Nuforce STA200 vs JOB 225

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151000.msg1615240#msg1615240

Years ago, in others forums (I do not write in spanish net from years), my election:

[Spanish] http://aficionados.foroactivo.com/t206-the-job-225-amplificador-suizo-con-tecnologia-goldmund-a-precio-asequible

My problem was the noise, RF/EMI interferences, DC at mains, high voltage (near 240 volts) .... Amps with higher band (like class D amps and this JOB) can be problematic if you do not have a clean power. Power conditioner commercials often hurt with these amplifiers so fast, with very high slew-rate.

maty

« Reply #24 on: 16 Nov 2017, 11:43 am »

mtrot

« Reply #25 on: 18 Nov 2017, 12:51 am »
mtrot, you may not have been able to get the best from your Krell yet, it is a beast, excellent transient response and power, if you got an integrated, you'd be going backward, unless spending 5 figures to get close in the power amp section.  You, indeed, just need a preamp.  Man, if you can find a used KRC-3 you'd have a killer set up.  If not, a 280p may do alright and be in your budget used.  Any decent balanced circuit preamp would work, further chlices used, Bryston or Coda.

I am not a fan of Rotel, I personally don't like the sound, and, anyone familiar and honest would tell you preamps was never their strong point.  I'd prefer using an Emotiva and saving the money.

Here's a good choice for preamp. https://wyred4sound.com/products/pre-amps/stp-se

Thanks for the tips.  I'm looking to see if there is a balanced circuit pre-amp with home theater bypass.

JackD

« Reply #26 on: 18 Nov 2017, 01:59 am »
The STP-SE ticks all the boxes and sounds great too.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #27 on: 18 Nov 2017, 04:33 am »
Any Krell has a bypass.  I forget their term for it but trust me they all have one.  I think "theater through".

johnto

« Reply #28 on: 17 Dec 2017, 02:44 am »
The Parasound Halo Integrated seems to have everything you're looking for.  It can be found used at your price point.
I have one it's a very nice piece of equipment  comes with Stereophile A rating.

Rosefall15

« Reply #29 on: 6 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm »
I think trying Hegel integrated amplifier is an economic solution for you if you don’t want to have separate preamp-power.

Hegel H80 is a little bit old but it’s good if you’re already have a DAC.

jamespandit

« Reply #30 on: 5 May 2018, 08:23 am »
Parasound P5 will be a good choice.