Compact Alnico Monitor without subwoofer

xecluded

Compact Alnico Monitor without subwoofer
« on: 27 Jan 2018, 05:05 pm »
For those who have Compact Alnico Monitor, do you find they sound satisfied without using a subwoofer.  My room is around 15x15', though i am not a head banger, at time I would like to turn it up when I hear some good song or in the mood.  Specs said they can go down to 42hz but not sure its can really do that for small drivers  Thank you for your insight.

RDavidson

Re: Compact Alnico Monitor without subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2018, 05:12 pm »
The CAMs are very balanced even though they cannot produce deep bass. I use them without subs and with First Watt amplification.

rghanbari

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2018, 05:27 pm »
I've had SAMs and CAMs in my living room at the same time, with and without a sub (JL Audio F112v2), along with some full range speakers (B&W 802d3)

In my room (20x25') with the room placement I had (makes a big difference with the ported SAMs/CAMs), my SAMs comfortably went down to high 40s, and the CAMs to low 50s.  For the kind of music I mostly listen to (jazz, vocals, small ensembles), that extra 5-8Hz really made a difference for things like standup bass and some of the lower registers.  Absolutely delightful with both the SAMs and the CAMs, but more balanced and full with the SAMs.

When I turned on the sub (tuned to the natural fall off of the Omegas), things got wonderful and rich.  For my kind of music, it was mainly resonances that were down in that range, so it really made things richer and more real.

I could get away without a sub with the SAMs, but with the CAMs, even a modest Monoprice 10" THX select sub ($500) that can get you well into the 20s would make a huge difference I think,  I would suggest that if you do get a sub, find a fast and clean one.  A boomy highly distorted sub would be an absolute shame paired with the wonderful speed and detail of the super alnico's.  In the case of the Monoprice THX select subs, they have a 30 day money back policy.  Give it a go in your room with your music and see if it is worth the extra $500 (it definitely would be for me)

xecluded

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2018, 05:56 pm »
Thank you much for your insights.  Using sub is not an option due to WAF.  I am used to big and full sound of Altec A7 and Valencia, now wanting to try the smaller CAM due as that is as large as the wife would be happy with.  I will need to do more learning/researching on these CAM.  Thanks again

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2018, 06:07 pm »
Yeah. If you're used to a bigger, near full-range (easily gets to mid 40hz and lower), the CAMs might not get you what you want alone. The CAMs can get surprisingly low, but their output into that lower 40hz spec is going to be limited in most common situations that the speakers would be used in. Obviously a lot depends on room size, amplification, boundary reinforcement, etc. etc.

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2018, 10:55 pm »
I have CAMs in my small listening room (it's only about 850 cubic feet) and I'm shopping for a sub. Not a knock on the CAMs - they're GREAT!!!! But they should benefit greatly from a sub IMHO. The CAMs don't make it down into the 30s never mind the 20s.

Doody

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2018, 01:58 am »
I have the larger Super 7XRS Mk2 in a 10 x 11 x 8 foot high room, and I can't listen to them without a sub.  Just too light, not enough meat on the bones, regardless of the amp used.

But that's my taste, others may feel differently.   :dunno: 

PS:   I get great results by high-passing the mains at 100 Hz and play the sub up to about 130 Hz.

doggie

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2018, 10:07 pm »
I have the larger Super 7XRS Mk2 in a 10 x 11 x 8 foot high room, and I can't listen to them without a sub.  Just too light, not enough meat on the bones, regardless of the amp used.

But that's my taste, others may feel differently.   :dunno: 

PS:   I get great results by high-passing the mains at 100 Hz and play the sub up to about 130 Hz.

What are you using to high pass your Omegas?

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2018, 12:18 am »
What are you using to high pass your Omegas?

When using its high level inputs (ie: speaker cable from main amp) my Gallo CLS-10 sub has a high-pass filter built into it.  It is fixed at 100hz.  There is a dial that allows you to set how high the sub plays.  I overlap by 20 - 40 hz, depending on the speaker.   The sub's line level input does not have this feature, so the mains must be run FR w/ sub added to the bottom.  Doesn't sound nearly as good.

I thought that putting this filter in the way of the full signal would harm it, but I hear no detriments, only improvements.  Relieving the amp and mains from LF duty allows them to play cleaner.  Apart from getting more oomph and warmth, sounds like a speaker upgrade throughout the entire range.

I have a couple of friends that do the same with their Gallo sub + Omegas.

Jorge

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2018, 06:07 pm »
My experience with the CAM is rather short but enough so far. With a Leben 300XS much deeper bass for the same type of music obtained than connected to a ZTOL10 MkII. It depends very much on the type of music you listen to. Mine is more about voices and small jazz groups or singles intruments.

If anybody has the chance to listen to Enzo Pietropaoli "Solo" double bass recorded in a church, the bass sounds extremely natural with the CAMs. Personaly, I do not like to colour much the music with deep bass, but again it depends very much on the type of music you listen to, amplifier and room, of course.

doggie

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2018, 03:29 am »
I am using Super Alnico High Output XRS with two SVS 2000 12" subs. I am hesitant to use any form of filtering on the HO for the very reason I bought them, crossover-less design. These speakers are so pure and clear that I hesitate to use anything with them except perhaps a very high quality electronic crossover that would come before any amp. I do understand that the trade-off might be worth it just to relieve them of any lifting below 100hz.

I have my subs set to about 40hz so that they are only carrying the lowest octave. I also adjusted the phase control by ear to give me the best timing for maximum impact.

This speaker combination gives tight accurate bass that is capable of real slam and is not embarrassed playing Mahler or unrestrained Prokofiev.

My amp is the new Linear Tube Audio "Ultralinear" which has about 20 watts. This is the best amp I have used with Omega floorstanders and bested the LTA Z10 and a First Watt SIT2.