Well Tempered mistracking

daveyonthecoast

Well Tempered mistracking
« on: 15 Jun 2014, 10:09 am »
Dear Frends
I own a well tempered classic, upgraded with Marigo Audio Arm Clamp. I had the arm tube replaced, as it had a bend in it due to shipping!!. and lost all silicon, which spilt all over the place, I had enough silcon, left over in a tube.
A frend of mine set it up for me, as I have a sight dissability.
I have a promble, can someone help, below
1. I bought a Shelter MM cart, only approx 10 hrs use
2. The above, started to mistrack, on not all records, but some, believe it or not, 3 out of 6, new LPs, mistracked, only on one or two parts of a LP, but being a purist, to many!!
3. All VTA, Cartridge weight, azamuth, has been adusted!!
4. How ever, I have a copy of "Jonny Winters, second Winter", It is a double album, with 3 sides, when I put the arm on the unused side, it scatted, accros, the lp quite fast, while adusting, anti skate!!
even when I have screwed the anti skate, to the close position, max, the tone arm will scate, accross at a fast speed, towards the spinndle, not normal!!
Can someone, please help with ideas??
Many Thanks
David Spry

watercourse

Re: Well Tempered mistracking
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2014, 03:16 pm »
Not knowing this table or cart very well, the first thing is check is that all is level, the table and platter.

Then I'd look at the cantilever: does it remain parallel with the cart body during play, or does it deflect significantly? The Shelters I had were all low compliance, so if this is true for the MM, deflection might mean there is an issue with the suspension. What VTF was used?

Those are the two most obvious places to start. I'd then look at whether there is anything obstructing or interfering with the threads or other moving parts.

gagamut

watercourse

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2014, 05:22 am »
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/well-tempered/arm.shtml

Looking at step 11 in the manual for anti-skate adjustment, it states "Because of the tone arm damping, there is some anti-skating without any adjustments. If the cartridge is well aligned, very little anti-skating adjustment will be necessary.
When the silver bars viewed from the top are closest together, there is the least amount of anti-skating."

So from this, I'd suggest backing off completely on the antiskate wheel (the wheel that rotates vertically on the top of the arm mount). Once you're sure that you have minimal anti-skate, I'd start adjusting anti-skate again.

Keep in mind that once you adjust anti-skate, you'll have to recheck VTF and azimuth again.

Again, I'd only do this after making sure that the table and platter are level.

daveyonthecoast

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2014, 11:06 am »
Thanks, my friend, I have done all of the above!!
I used to own the above, but now have a better TT, on the old TT, I was able to set antiscate, where there was no moverment!!
Now I have a mint well tempered classic, but can't seem to tune, it stills scates across, blank LP, I have opened up the round thumb reel, and it evan scates more!!, when I set the fly wheel, to tighned, the max, it still wants to scate across to the spindle.
Please I'm pulling my hair out!!
Regards
David

watercourse

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2014, 02:27 pm »
OK, then not sure if I can be of any more help. Sounds like the anti-skate mechanism may not be functioning... or it's your cart.

Have you contacted the previous owner and/or Mike Pranka?

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2014, 05:48 pm »
You said you replaced the arm tube.  Check the hanging filament observing how many twists there are and in fact if you can provide a picture of your table and arm in particular the "arigo Audio Arm Clamp" Do your hanging wires oriented the way they are within these pics?

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2014, 06:05 pm »
daveyonthecoast wrote
"and lost all silicon, which spilt all over the place, I had enough silcon, left over in a tube."
maybe you need new damping fluid
http://www.turntablebasics.com/silicone.html

daveyonthecoast

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2014, 03:37 am »
Thanks
will send photos, when I can borrow, a digital camera
David

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2014, 01:21 pm »
DaveyOnTheCoast do not forget to zoom on on the filament or fising tonearm hanging line and a pic of what is in your damping cup would be helpful as well because not have enough fluid in the damping cup could also be your problem as well.

Flyin_V

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2014, 06:34 pm »
David,

If you observe the nylon filaments as the arm moves toward the inner portion you'll see the filaments are actually 'winding up' which causes the outward force. You can slightly rotate the white plastic paddle in the fluid counter clockwise so the arm starts in a less wound up position which will lower the outward force as it winds up.

Lary

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2014, 09:53 pm »
How much goop is in the cup?  You need to have the paddle submerged maybe an 1/8" all throughout the arm's travel.
Is that paddle level?