Solid state synergy

kwl

Solid state synergy
« on: 18 Jan 2006, 10:41 pm »
Those of you who own Reference 3A de Capo i's know that:
1.  These speakers can be ruthlessly revealing;
2.  Tubes in the chain can be very rewarding; and,
3.  Solid state synergy is very difficult to find.

Because my system is a combination of 2-channel and HT and used by the whole family, I have been on the long road to finding the right solid state synergy.  The best synergy that I had achieved until just recently was a SACDmods Sony SCD-555ES coupled directly to a Plinius 9200 integrated amp.

With all the hype and discussion surrounding the Slim Devices SB2/3, I decided to take the plunge and sell the Sony.  I took Vinnie up on his recent deal for a RWA SB3 with full mods, including battery, knowing that the stock unit probably wouldn't cut it (see 1. above).  My initial impressions of the modded SB3 (with very little break-in; analog output) into the Plinius were less than hoped for.  Clarity was not improved and I lost soundstage width and depth.  Break-in was not going to fix these problems, so I started experimenting.  Rather than going through the Plinius integrated, I hooked the SB3 directly to an inexpensive NAD amp (C270).  The improvement was substantial; clarity improved and the soundstage opened up.  So, as posters on various forums have suggested, and I can now verify, hooking a SB2/3 directly to a power amp makes a significant improvement in sound quality.  Not leaving well enough alone, I began searching for a better power amp than the NAD.  Because of 1. (above), differences in tonal qualities between amplifiers are instantly and readily apparent.  I took my de Capo i's down to a local stereo store and auditioned multichannel power amps (Rotel RMB-1077, Linn 5125, Classe CA-5200 and Meridian G55).  Using their Rotel DVD player and preamp, the Meridian G55 was an easy winner.  A home demo of the G55 confirmed the synergy with the de Capo i's that I heard in the store.  The RWA SB3 hooked directly to the G55 is now easily providing the best sound that I have ever heard in my system; music is clean, clear, articulate with natural body and no digital hardness projected over a wide and deep soundstage.  I no longer feel the need to squeeze a tube somewhere in the chain.  I can't wait until the SB3 is actually broken-in!

So, lessons learned:
1.  The RWA SB3 is an incredible source;
2.  Meridian makes damn fine amplifiers;
3.  Hook the SB3 directly to a power amp; and,
4. Solid state synergy IS possible with Reference 3A de Capo i's.

Miscellaneous notes:  The battery power source removes low level background noise.  Make sure SB3 signal strength is ~90%; at 40% or less it will play music, but there is background static (like on an AM radio). I have not tested the digital outs of the SB3 or external DACs.