LS Center Channel Speaker Crossover

Danny Richie

Re: LS Center Channel Speaker Crossover
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2014, 04:59 pm »
I realize there are additional factors I can explore such as speaker positioning and room treatments,  "The MOST overlooked component is the room; no system will sound any better than it's room will allow" - would appreciate tips used to improve here. An example here is with the LS9's and a big sub one can load up the room in a real hurry.

The LS-9's are capable of playing to a -3db of 20Hz in most rooms. And they will pound out the lower region much cleaner and with better control that a big heavy sub woofer. So don't limit the range where the LS-9's are great and hand that duty off to less capable drivers.

But you can use them both together to good effect. Both can load and overload the room. But if used properly you can have good bass with lots of slam while still minimizing room loads.

If you haven't already, try letting the LS-9's play full range. In other words, don't limit their low end. Then move that big sub to the back middle of the room and run it out of phase from the LS-9's. This will even out the room load and minimize the loading in the back of the room. It will reduce room boom while still re-enforcing the bottom end. You will need to start with your sub at a lowest possible setting too. If you can adjust it to 25Hz or 30Hz and down then start there.

You don't have a lot to work with regarding the rest of the room. Heavy drapes on the windows to the right will be good though.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2014, 05:02 pm »
I love the Trans Am too.  :thumb:

persisting1

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2014, 09:55 pm »
That picture should be used as your signature  :thumb:

hesster

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2014, 04:56 pm »
Thanks for the additional tips Danny, I will continue to tweak.  Also, I was able to fully adjust the Center Channel sound for sparkling clarity, as the XMC-1 has 11 equalization filters fully adjustable from 20 - 20,000 hz.  It now sounds amazing, just like the LS9's.  And - I am a car nut/wrench as you may see - more eye candy of my original owner 1977 SE Bandit T/A.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2014, 05:35 pm »
I'm a car guy myself. That looks great!

If I remember correctly in 1977 there was a 400 Pontiac motor option and a 403 Oldsmobile motor option.

Looks like you modified it top to bottom. It even looks like you are using a serpentine belt to drive the accessories. I'd love to hear more about it. Start a new thread on it in my circle. GR Research customer hot rods.... :thumb: 

bdp24

« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2014, 10:19 pm »
I'm a car guy myself. That looks great!

If I remember correctly in 1977 there was a 400 Pontiac motor option and a 403 Oldsmobile motor option.

Looks like you modified it top to bottom. It even looks like you are using a serpentine belt to drive the accessories. I'd love to hear more about it. Start a new thread on it in my circle. GR Research customer hot rods.... :thumb:
+1! I don't have a hot rod (I need enough room for the drums I haul to gigs), but I dropped my Tahoe Ltd. four inches front and rear, put on 295's/rear and 255's/front, and am saving for a Whipple blower. Same old choice: Upgrade the hi-fi, or the car?!

hesster

« Reply #26 on: 19 Dec 2014, 10:37 pm »
Did not mean to put car pics on the audio circle, but took your advice Danny and check out my post " Over the Top Bandit" on Cars and Bikes forum.  I think if you like cars, you will appreciate the additional pics and details of the car that I posted.