Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

sts9fan

« Reply #80 on: 2 Aug 2005, 04:09 pm »
"keller (whom I cannot stand)"

How can you not like Keller?? Too fun?? To talented??

I am going to see Trey on Thursday and will report if he is as bad as everyone is bitching about

DeanSheen

« Reply #81 on: 27 Sep 2005, 06:19 pm »
Wolf Eyes & Black Dice

Up next: Dungen

mcrespo71

« Reply #82 on: 27 Sep 2005, 06:37 pm »
I just saw the White Stripes in Coney Island, Brooklyn this past weekend.  Excellent show! I'm still amazed that just two people can produce all of that sound! 8)

ctviggen

« Reply #83 on: 27 Sep 2005, 07:34 pm »
I tend to like bands who are low on talk and flash and who like to jam.  For instance, I loved Stevie Ray Vaughn, whom I saw three times.  Talk about the jam master!  Everytime I saw him, he came out firing on all cyclinders and each song was basically a solo for him or the band.  I also like Big Head Todd and the Monsters (also seen three times) in concert for this reason.  I saw an acoustic performance by Springsteen, and he was also like that -- strictly playing music with few words.  On the other hand, I saw Alison Krauss and Union Station, and she talked quite a bit.  But her band is also talented and can jam.  

By the way, anyone catch Nora Jones in high def?  I only caught about 45 minutes of this show, and I thought the best part was when Dolly Parton came out.  Without that song, the rest of concert that I saw was a bit too low key for me.  Anyone see the whole thing?

tvyankee

« Reply #84 on: 27 Sep 2005, 07:37 pm »
I was just at the (THE BIG APPLE TO THE BIG EASY)it was a great show and will be a dvd soon.

The stage was on loan from Elton John's world tour and the lighting was excellent as well.

I was one of two EIC's one the show for the Video.

ekovalsky

« Reply #85 on: 7 Oct 2005, 05:29 am »
Saw Celtic Woman with the wife last night.  Overall good, one of the singers (Lisa Kelly) stole the show.

BillyM

« Reply #86 on: 7 Oct 2005, 01:43 pm »
I just saw Blues Traveler for free last night.  Knoxville's free concert series in market sqare closed off the season with a heavy hit.  Those guys can still belt out their old stuff like they just recorded it yesterday.  ...and 4 encore sets.  4 of them!  ...that's unheard of.  The hippies rejoiced.

--BillyM

rbrb

« Reply #87 on: 14 Oct 2005, 04:37 am »
Seen Robert Plant a couple of weeks ago.  Excellent show.  I was really surpried how much Led Zeppelin he performed.

Occam

« Reply #88 on: 14 Oct 2005, 08:11 am »
I saw Queen last week in Aruba. Paul Rodgers (Bad Company) was their lead singer. He didn't have the range for Freddy Mercury, (actually, everyone was a bit long in the tooth), but it was nice that the repetoire was so extensive. The audience was predominantanly South American and Aruban, and it was quite interesting that their faves were not the same as the Nortes.

L'wood

« Reply #89 on: 14 Oct 2005, 09:57 pm »
David Gray on Wednesday, he was ok, kind of a chick show.

Last night was Richard Thompson with Danny Thompson on bass, and it was incredible, as usual.  The Park West in Chicago, no place better in the world to see an act!

Eliza Gilkyson opened for Richard and was very good.  Just got turned onto her, a wonderful song about W - Man of God!

gonefishin

« Reply #90 on: 15 Oct 2005, 05:02 am »
Last week I saw the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (perfect center stage mid third seats).  Simply awesome performance and sound.  For me...this one will be tough to top.

Tonight was Maynard Ferguson.  WHile He can't hit the notes quite like he could in his younger days...this was still a great time to go see him.  It was at the Elgin Arts Center.

take care,

dan

sts9fan

« Reply #91 on: 17 Oct 2005, 12:31 pm »
Saw Les Claypool and his Fancy band last night. :mrgreen:

Amazing as always. That man can play the bass!! If anyone is looking for a cool electric bass track to test some gear check out Les Claypool "The Awakening" off "Les Claypool and the holy Mackeral"

Thump553

« Reply #92 on: 17 Oct 2005, 03:26 pm »
Quote from: L'wood
David Gray on Wednesday, he was ok, kind of a chick show.

Last night was Richard Thompson with Danny Thompson on bass, and it was incredible, as usual.  The Park West in Chicago, no place better in the world to see an act!

Eliza Gilkyson opened for Richard and was very good.  Just got turned onto her, a wonderful song about W - Man of God!

Richard Thompson is touring with a full band now?  I'm definately going to catch that one then when they pass through Boston.  I saw Eliza Gilkyson at Falconridge Folk Festival this summer, before the CD with Man of God was released.  The crowd went wild when she played that song-I was having flashbacks to when CSNY released "Ohio."

Folsom

« Reply #93 on: 17 Oct 2005, 04:19 pm »
This is old, I went to see Creedence Clearwater Revisited at Sturgis during bike week. My brother, dad, and I where there visiting relatives, we got bored, and we went to Sturgis almost every day  :mrgreen:

wje

« Reply #94 on: 17 Oct 2005, 06:10 pm »
I listen to a lot of music styles.  And, I do mean a LOT.  

This past Saturday, the family and I were in Baltimore to see Rascal Flatts.  The opening act was Blake Shelton (Some Beach).  Overall, we though the concert was great and preferred the smaller setting (13,500 people vs. seeing Bruce Springsteen - 70,000 people).

However, I wish the sound folks for Rascal Flatts would have taken a few cues from Blake Shelton's sound folks.  Clearly, the vocals and instruments were much clearer with Blake Shelton's performance, while Rascal Flatts' performance was too distorted - and the vocals were drowned out by the instruments.

Overall, a great performance.  But, I would love to see Rascal Flatts again with some sound changes.

wje

« Reply #95 on: 17 Oct 2005, 06:12 pm »
Just wanted to throw one more plug out here for the folks located in the Wash, DC area.  In early November, Robert Cray will be playing at the State Theater in Falls Church, Virginia.

I have some of his CDs, just not sure if the whole show would be worth seeing.

SWG255

Son Volt at the 9:30 Club
« Reply #96 on: 22 Oct 2005, 09:04 pm »
All these years in the D.C. area and last night was my first visit to the 9:30 Club. I had a great time, but I have to wonder about an audience (including me) who was willing to stand for over three hours to catch the warm-up act, The Fruit Bats, and then the main event, Son Volt.

It was a great, although late, show. I was very glad to have my custom earplugs though, it was LOUD. If you like Jay, you can hear the show at npr.org, it was "web cast". Here's the link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4961968

The playback uses Real Audio, and it's not audiophle quality of course, but since the feed is mostly from the mixing console, it's a bit clearer than what i heard in the club over the sound system. it doesn't have the punch though)

Enjoy!

maxwalrath

« Reply #97 on: 22 Oct 2005, 10:32 pm »
On Thursday, Current TV (a Google.com sponsered channel) put on a concert to raise awareness of their channel and try to raise hype to become part of Comcast's programming package. Current is only on DirecTv in this area, and Comcast is the #1 provider. It's a very cool channel...most of it is viewer created content, people with camcorders and a computer shooting short clips about something that is newsworthy, or interests them in some way. There are clips from all over the world.

The Roots were the main guests, and they put on the usual great show. They're much loved here in Philadelphia, and the crowd was singing along for a good deal of their show. They've been showing off more musicianship lately, so it's cool to get to see the band jam for a while without the lyrics.

Fishbone was on before them, and they put on a great show. I wasn't really familiar with their music, but I enjoyed it. Little Brother and a few other local bands started things off.

Al Gore is somehow involved in the Current station and said a few words, which was pretty funny. I forget the emcee who ushered him off the stage when he was done, but he did refer to Al as a "superstar", which got a litle laugh out of me and my friends.

It was an outdoor concert at City Hall. There was a helicopter overhead, and I thought it might have been for the show for some reason. It turns out a city councilman was at the top of City Hall contemplating suicide by jumping while the show was going on. I got a few phone calls while at the show asking if I knew anything about it, but I couldn't see anything. Aparantly he or she had just been indited on corruption charges. Ahhh Philly.

I was freezing after standing outside without a coat for 3 hours. On our way to the next spot we had some dinner at a Middle Eastern place. A big specialty lamb gyro (amazingly good) and some tea warmed things up.

After that I went to the Khyber (a Philadelphia music scene institution in Old City) to see a local band called Bum Runner. They are friends of friends. Harder rock that I normally listen to, almost punk somehow mixed with Rush...I like it a lot. I drank a few good beers and enjoyed the show.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #98 on: 22 Oct 2005, 10:47 pm »
Hey Max,
    They have a link to watch the show....
http://www.java.com/en/everywhere/takebacktv/   ....now where are you standing... :D [/list:u]

Jumpin

Cream?
« Reply #99 on: 24 Oct 2005, 02:37 pm »
Anyone going?
I have tickets for Wednesday night.
Quite excited actually.

Regards,
Mark