Need a road bike for outdoor exercise, any suggestions?

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Need a road bike for outdoor exercise, any suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Aug 2016, 12:16 am »
:thumb: Which one did you try? Did you figure out the size?

Pretty sure it was 58cm. The seat was adjusted for me and it felt perfect. I don't recall the model as it was a name I didn't recognize. It was white and black :roll:

LadyDog

« Reply #21 on: 7 Aug 2016, 12:17 am »
Hi Tim,
Everyone is their own movie critic, but I'd shy away from a vintage bike.  While maybe less expensive, which I understand is an important consideration, newer is probably the way to go. 

Odal3

« Reply #22 on: 7 Aug 2016, 12:24 am »
This one looks alright and you may be able to get it for a few hundreds cheaper. http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/5708026558.html

The extremely high handlebar can easily be fixed. It just needs to be cut off a little bit. Based on the shifters it looks like it is a few years old (newer shifter have hidden cables.). The only concern would be that the shifters, and drive train are worn and may need to be replaced soon so if you look at it, make sure to look carefully for wear.

Btw: when you go to bike stores ask them if they have any clearance or demo bikes for sale in the back.

Vintage bikes can be beautiful, but I agree with ladydog,

timind

• permanent vacation

Odal3

« Reply #24 on: 14 Aug 2016, 02:49 pm »
Any luck?

ctviggen

« Reply #25 on: 14 Aug 2016, 07:07 pm »
BTW, riding a bike for exercise and/or weight loss is a great idea.

I have lost 20 lbs over the last few months with bike riding as my primary cardio exercise.

Right now I am riding around 75-80 miles per week on my hilly roads.

George

I used to ride each spring/summer/fall.  Started about 20-30 miles per week, ended at well over 100 miles per week, with one-two centuries and many 60+ mile rides during that time.  Would lose over 10 pounds during this time...and gain it back immediately once the season was over.  Switched to a low carbohydrate diet, lost 20 pounds.  Added intermittent fasting and more fat per day (try to eat as much fat as possible per day), and lost another 30 pounds.  In my opinion, you can't outrun/out bike a bad diet.  And if you bike, you usually change your diet at the same time (drink less beer, etc.), so you're changing too many variables at one time to chalk it up to bike riding or diet or both. My personal opinion is that you also reduce your blood sugar level...which reduces your insulin level...which reduces hunger.  Or while I was riding a lot, that's what happened to me. 

Odal3

« Reply #26 on: 14 Sep 2016, 04:36 am »
If you're still looking, this one might be a decent one fitting your budget: http://bloomington.craigslist.org/bik/5761517222.html

It's an older cannondale, and it looks like you can negotiate down the price from the $300 asking price. Note that it is located in Bloomington and that it doesn't come with pedals (this is common when buying road bikes). I can't tell from the pics, but guessing it's a 9 speed (=older style shifters and fewer gears)

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #27 on: 14 Sep 2016, 05:06 am »
Getting a relatively new used bike will make it easier to find replacement parts when something breaks or wears out. Get your sit bones measured to determine the saddle width you need, a Bike shop that is a Specialized bike dealer usually has the measuring pad. Get the bike adjusted to you, generally a good bike shop will do this for a charge if you bring a bike in you bought elsewhere.

sebrof

« Reply #28 on: 14 Sep 2016, 09:27 pm »
If you're still looking, this one might be a decent one fitting your budget: http://bloomington.craigslist.org/bik/5761517222.html

It's an older cannondale, and it looks like you can negotiate down the price from the $300 asking price. Note that it is located in Bloomington and that it doesn't come with pedals (this is common when buying road bikes). I can't tell from the pics, but guessing it's a 9 speed (=older style shifters and fewer gears)
That looks like a solid bike at a very nice price. Key thing is fit, and if you rode a 58cm at the LBS then it should be close if not spot on.

One thing to keep in mind, just like audio everything is relative. If you are doing sub 1-hour rides, fit, seat, and a bunch of other stuff including the $1,200 mentioned become much less important. If you want to ride for the rest of this year to see how your Achilles heals, maybe take things more seriously next year or whatever, then something like that Canondale would be a good decision. But if like many of us you put thousands of miles a year on your bike, then you really need stuff to fit perfectly else you'll be really, really sore. 

Odal3

« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2016, 12:47 am »
This review is from about the same vintage (but with worse components) as the bike at craigslist
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/road-bikes/group-test-cannondale-caad-8-105-999-99

If the bike is in decent condition and fit is ok, it's a great starter bike. Best thing is that you can probably resell it for about the same price if you don't like it.

soundofrockets

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jul 2017, 01:45 am »
has anybody purchased bikes from bikesdirect.com ?  what was the experience like ?  are prices pretty good or just makedup and then discounted ? 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #31 on: 10 Jul 2017, 02:00 am »
As I started this thread, I guess I should update with my result.

I bought a Trek FX2 directly from Trek a couple months ago. Enjoying it so far. It's a hybrid, and honestly, it's making me think of getting a road bike.

Odal3

« Reply #32 on: 10 Jul 2017, 02:55 am »
Timind - Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

soundofrockets - I looked there several times myself, but never bought anything since at the time I was able to find good deals locally instead. Keep in mind that some of the brands are not as popular so it may be harder to sell down the road.

soundofrockets

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jul 2017, 05:10 am »
Thanks Odal and Timind,  however if I decide to keep the bike long term -  is the quality reliable and of good grade?  And what are they comparing the prices to ?  Bikes with similar features or same bikes but different vendor?