Fritz Speakers Carbon 7s - A Review

Charles Xavier

Re: Fritz Speakers Carbon 7s - A Review
« Reply #60 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:36 am »
Y
The SP Tech Mini's are a different type speaker....more forward...deeper bass....the 7's are warm and laid back....sort of like a broken-in pair of jeans....comfortable...relaxing.

It comes down to what "type" of sound you prefer. :wink:

You added this. WhIch sound does the Wolf prefer

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #61 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:40 am »
WhIch sound does the Wolf prefer...

A variety....that's why I own many different speakers.... :thumb:

There is NO perfect speaker....if there was...we'd all own the same one. :wink:

Zero

« Reply #62 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:41 am »
Poor wolfy.  Being put on the spot like that...    :lol:

For the record though, I agree with his assessments.   :thumb:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #63 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:42 am »
There is NO perfect speaker....if there was...we'd all own the same one. :wink:
[/quote]

We're getting there :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #64 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:44 am »
Poor wolfy.  Being put on the spot like that...    :lol:

For the record though, I agree with his assessments.   :thumb:

Not really....many are good...some so-so....and some I don't care for....it's all about what one prefers.... :wink:

Zero

« Reply #65 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:52 am »
Well... I'm not sure what your "not really" refers to, but no matter...

The most pressing question here is;  Why do I not yet have a picture of you standing next to my speakers?  Wait...  is it creepy for me to be asking that?    :o :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #66 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:54 am »
The most pressing question here is;  Why do I not yet have a picture of you standing next to my speakers?  Wait...  is creepy for me to be asking that?    :o :lol:

Got BEER ?  :beer: :jester:

Zero

« Reply #67 on: 10 Feb 2011, 09:23 am »
Well, I got some Bud, Sam Adams winter lager, Guinness, and Sapporo.  It may not be the most refined list of beers, but it'll all get the job done...  :beer: :thumb:

Afterimage

« Reply #68 on: 10 Feb 2011, 09:31 am »
Still a few pairs "floating" around here Mudslide .... :lol:

As I mentioned, the 7's are an easy speaker to listen to...warm...but with detail. You don't get tired...their not "in your face".

Similar sounding....three come to mind.

The Sonist Concerto 2...Green Mountain Europa....and an older Usher monitor speaker...forgot the model. :duh:

Their similar in that they "sound" neutral to warm...in that area.Yes...their different in construction....but similar sounding. Speaker that don't "knock you over"....they float with the music.

Now....none are the "last word" in bass...it's there...but not room shaking....but then again...their smaller monitors.

Considering all the speakers that are out there.....the Carbon 7's are very nice....enjoyable....Fritz did a good job....at a good price. :beer:

yeah but as far as bass, the Carbon 7s have a lot for a monitor and more than a lot of floor standers out there too.  I used to own the Europa and the 7s have quite a bit more than the Europa.  More than the Callisto as well.   Of course how their set up and the room come into play so be careful with my blanket statement.  In someone else's room/system it might be a different take.   But as you said, it is all about preference.  Right now, I prefer the Carbon 7s.  Still in the honeymoon period. 

Afterimage

« Reply #69 on: 13 Feb 2011, 11:46 pm »
How about room treatments for the Carbon 7s?  I have a couple of Echo Busters up and some bass traps in the corners, but I have no idea why.  I mean, how can one tell if you need need diffusion or absorption?  I see fritz generally uses GIK for his shows. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #70 on: 14 Feb 2011, 03:03 am »
I mean, how can one tell if you need need diffusion or absorption?

Swap the current diffusion locations with the current absorbtion locations. Listen again. Or, remove them entirely and add them back based on the sound. Your ears will figure it out for you.  :thumb:

Have fun,
Jerry

Afterimage

« Reply #71 on: 14 Feb 2011, 03:04 pm »
Swap the current diffusion locations with the current absorbtion locations. Listen again. Or, remove them entirely and add them back based on the sound. Your ears will figure it out for you.  :thumb:

Have fun,
Jerry

that would be nice, I guess I need to find out if  my echo buster panels are the diffusing kind or the absorbtion kind.  I have no idea.  I just bought them a couple of years ago and put them up.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #72 on: 15 Feb 2011, 02:50 am »
Sweet; The Carbon 7s have been named Stereomojo's 2010 Product of the Year for Best Small Speaker Value.

Congrats, Fritz!!!  :beer:

Meicheng

« Reply #73 on: 15 Feb 2011, 02:53 am »
Congrats Fritz on a great stand-mounted monitor speaker! 

Afterimage

« Reply #74 on: 17 Feb 2011, 06:21 am »
indeed Jerry, that is what I have been doing.  One nit pick though.  I notice these need some volume to sound their best.  At 75 to 85 decibels, which is the levels I normally listen, everything is there.  Below that, it doesn't have the dynamics or details.  Now, with that said, it could be the amp.  My main amp is in the shop.  I borrowed an amp from a friend, actually I used to own this amp, so that may be the reason.  It is a Sim W3.  I had a modded Unison Unico SE in the system when I first got the Carbon 7s a couple of weeks ago.  Wow, that was a great combo.  Alive and kicking!!  I was having fun so I never really tried the late night low level listening with it.  However, now it has a tube out.  So when I get my main amp back, I will try it out and test low level listening.

Okay, forget about that nitpick above. The Carbon 7s are not bad late night low level listening speakers.  Not in the least.  I dropped an Arte Forma i-150 Sunsan integrated amp in the system and I am happy to report the Carbon 7s paired with this are very fine for low volume listening.  Plenty of details and dynamics.   

Afterimage

« Reply #75 on: 27 Feb 2011, 05:22 am »

For $30, I would highly recommend you try a set of EVS Ground Enhancers on the negative terminal of the Carbon 7's. If they do for your Scan Speak drivers what they did for my Lorelei's Scan Speak drivers, your ears will thank you for it. You can read more about thse little grounding gems here but from what you are describing, these could very well be the answer to your low volume dynamics issue. If you like what they do on the speaker end, you can always try another set on the negative terminals of your amp,,,, and you can always send them back if they don't work out. It's hands down the best bang for the buck tweak I've ever done for my system.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Okay, finally got the ground enhancers.  Wow, they do work.  Thanks again for the heads up on these.  Also before I added the ground enhancers, the Carbon 7s were continuing to sound better and better with more and more hours on them.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #76 on: 27 Feb 2011, 05:28 am »
Glad to hear the Carbon 7's are working better for ya, congrates!  :thumb:

Hogg

« Reply #77 on: 1 Mar 2011, 03:21 am »
Hey Chris, what about these? :lol:

Afterimage

« Reply #78 on: 3 Jul 2011, 01:38 am »
Hey Chris, what about these? :lol:

What are the speaker in the middle?  Just curious. 

WGH

« Reply #79 on: 3 May 2012, 05:40 pm »
The Absolute Sound recently reviewed the Carbon 7's and Neil Gader's glowing write-up is now online.

Link: TAS Carbon 7 Review

Congratulation's Fritz !!!

Wayne