Review of Devore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 speaker

geowak

Review of Devore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 speaker
« on: 8 Dec 2012, 09:44 pm »
Current edition of Stereophile magazine has a review of the Devore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 speaker. I had the pleasure of listening to these speakers for a short time at a dealer in Shaker Heights Ohio,  Don Better Audio. It is a beautifully designed product that was very musical and played well with low power set amps. A little bit out of my financial reach, but a delightful speaker nonetheless.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-orangutan-o96-loudspeaker

Charles Xavier

Re: Review of Devore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 speaker
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2012, 10:29 pm »
Heard them at Devore's 2 years ago. Wasn't impressed due to the material being played... show tunes  :duh:

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2012, 10:32 pm »
I wouldn't have been impressed with show-tunes either, but would love to hear those speakers.  If only for curiousity, I'd want to hear them, but its more than that.   

Chris, your impressions?

Charles Xavier

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2012, 10:35 pm »
I wouldn't have been impressed with show-tunes either, but would love to hear those speakers.  If only for curiousity, I'd want to hear them, but its more than that.   

Chris, your impressions?

Josh there's a thread at A/N under the Rave on this

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2012, 10:38 pm »
will look it up, thanks for the head's up.

saisunil

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2012, 10:49 pm »
My impressions of listening to Audio Note speakers was that of "beauty" - I just had to turn off my head and open up my heart and not judge anything or compare it to anything else ...

They made wonderful music with big bottles ...

But I found them to be expensive - O/96 may look like a bargain on paper - they still are expensive ...
« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2012, 01:18 am by saisunil »

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:00 pm »
That is what I wanted to hear.   There is something about the design I don't like, but I didn't want to knock.   I am trying to come up with a list of must hear's for my VP.    This is off the list. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2012, 01:01 am »
This is off the list.

Why?  Of course it's okay for you to choose as you see fit, but I'm unclear as to what squashed it for you.

For myself, I was floored by the speaker set up in a hotel room at a show.  In just about the worst environment it was musical, dynamic, detailed, and threw a transparent soundstage that didn't seem to localize at the speaker.  I also was not impressed by the speaker's looks and wasn't expecting much.  They do not sound like Audio Notes, although they look like them.  Audio Notes are very nice sounding, pleasant speakers, inoffensive in tone and slightly soft in bass and overall dynamics.  The Devore Fidelity Orangutan's are much more dynamic, extend deeper into the bass, are way more detailed, and throw an immense soundstage, yet retain a musical tonality that is very pleasing to the ear.  However at $12,000 it brings in a lot of competition, not what I'd call a value for the dollar speaker no matter how much I liked them.     

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2012, 03:15 pm »
I'd still like to hear them.  They do look interesting, but given that bunch of guys who heard it were my regular club posse whom I've been in listening sessions with many many times and know their preferences, adds some support to me probably not being super fond of these speakers.  Then I think they are about twice the price point that they should be custom drivers or not.

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2012, 03:46 pm »
I think there is a large value placed on DeVore himself. I like the Super 8s a whole lot.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2012, 05:24 pm »
Devore Fidelity Super 8s...that's a nice speaker... :thumb:

Josh there's a thread at A/N under the Rave on this...

Link....

12G's will get you a nice Tannoy...as Jim mentioned in the thread.... :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2012, 05:36 pm »
I have a nice pair of Tannoys. ;)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2012, 05:40 pm »
I have a nice pair of Tannoys. ;)
............. 8)  :beer:

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2012, 05:49 pm »
Tannoy Arundel 15" dual-concentric, circa early '80s vintage.   ~92db/w.   
http://www10.plala.or.jp/minmin_house/brochure-arundel.PDF

Bought them locally when I first moved up here as I haven't finished setting up my horns.   I paid quite little for how good they are.