Any Replacement Neo Panels Available?

Doug Ravizza

Any Replacement Neo Panels Available?
« on: 3 May 2015, 06:21 pm »
This is probably a long shot but, I need at least one Neo Panel to keep my RM30 IIs alive.

The same panel I was able to successfully repair ~7 months a go, (as described here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130921.msg1384699#msg1384699), has started "crackling" again. Although this time it's unrepairable. If you have one or two you could part with please PM or email me with the particulars.

Thanks in advance,
-Doug

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Any Replacement Neo Panels Available?
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2015, 07:09 pm »
YGPM

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2015, 02:57 pm »
This is probably a long shot but, I need at least one Neo Panel to keep my RM30 IIs alive.

The same panel I was able to successfully repair ~7 months a go, (as described here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130921.msg1384699#msg1384699), has started "crackling" again. Although this time it's unrepairable. If you have one or two you could part with please PM or email me with the particulars.

Thanks in advance,
-Doug

These aren't mine,  and I'm not trying to hurt any deal between the OP and HAL; just trying to help out.  But, these should be the correct RM30 mids, as long as the impedance is in the 6 ohm range (maybe email and ask). 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rob-Pruitts-Flea-Market-VINTAGE-Monsoon-MM-700-Computer-SPEAKERS-SET-/131480563516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9cda2f3c

The correct 6 ohm panel had the 'curvy' edges, with 13 slots across the mid.  The 'other', straight-edged version, had 8 slots, and measured around 3 ohms.

Good luck!

Stimpy

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2015, 03:14 pm »
Now that I think about it, if the ebay seller that I previously linked, is selling MM-700 mids, then that is not the correct mid.  His picture is incorrect too, since it is NOT a MM-700 mid.  The ebay seller evidently just used a generic web picture in their auction.  Sorry. 

Search ebay in both the 'Consumer Electronics', and 'Computer' categories, for Monsoon speakers.  You'd need to look for Monsoon MM-702 mids.  Plus, some of the Monsoon MM-2000 mids were the later 6 ohm mids; but not all.  Again, look for mids with 13 membrane slots.  Those are the mids that Brian modified and used in the RM series.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2015, 03:39 pm »
The VMPS NEO panels are 3 ohm DCR planars. 

I have helped a friend replace many of them on his speakers to get them working.

If anyone has bad NEO panels, let me know.  I am interested in a bunch for an experiment.

Stimpy

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2015, 04:50 pm »
The VMPS NEO panels are 3 ohm DCR planars. 

I have helped a friend replace many of them on his speakers to get them working.

If anyone has bad NEO panels, let me know.  I am interested in a bunch for an experiment.

The NEO panel impedance's varied over the years, due to I 'believe' there being 3 generational versions of the Monsoon/Level 9 panels.  The earliest version were around 3 ohms, followed by a 4.5 ohm version, and finally a 6 ohm version.  Discussions concerning some of the panel variations, can be found in this thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80672.0

Also, the OP's RM30 II's should use the 6 ohm panel, with the 13 slots cut out on the panel.  These would match up to the Monsoon MM-702 PC speakers, usually found at auction.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2015, 04:52 pm »
Interesting as the NEO panels in the RM50's are 3 Ohm DCR panels.

Stimpy

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2015, 05:04 pm »
Interesting as the NEO panels in the RM50's are 3 Ohm DCR panels.

Well that's trippy!!!???    :o

I have around 18 NEO panels at home.  Of those that I've measured, the 8 slot models were all 3.4 ohms, and the 13 slot models were around 6 ohms.  Most of the VPMS pictures, that I've seen, had the 13 slot panel.  So, if the RM50's panels are 3 ohms, that's weird!!!  Just goes to show, that any RM owner, looking for spares, needs to measure their panels, prior to buying.  Measure twice, cut once!   :thumb:

Thanks for the info!    :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2015, 07:11 pm »
Just for reference these 3 Ohm DCR NEO panels have 13 slots across the face. 

They also match the DCR from my QSO-626R FST speakers NEO panels.  I used those drivers to originally fix the RM50's and later got replacements.

Best thing to do is measure the NEO DC resistance of the panels in your speaker and write it down in case of failure. 

I also have two of the Monsoon 8" planar drivers here and they measure 5 Ohms DCR, so different than the others. 

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2015, 08:59 pm »
It Lives On!

On the offending panel, the small PC board that the terminals screw to was very loose and wiggled back and forth quite a bit. I loosened the panel's upper mounting screws and removed bottom ones to be able to pull the bottom of the panel away from the cabinet ~1/4". Then I tried moving it (the board) around while music was playing and found a position where the distortion consistently stopped and inserted an appropriate amount of mylar shims to fix the board in that position. I ran the system at or above comfortable listening levels for about an hour and, so far, it's hangin' in there.

My thanks to HAL for the offer to help and to Stimpy for the info.

BTW: The DCR of the panels in my RM30's average around 2.9 Ohms.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2015, 09:21 pm »
Glad you got it working! 

Good to hear you also have the ~3 Ohm drivers. 

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2015, 04:23 pm »
Just saw this.

I still have around a dozen NOS panels I offer for Brian's widow.