DCM Timeframe TF-500 Speakers. So, What Did I Buy?

bside123

I just came back from a Charity Flea Market that the proceeds of all sales are going to blind children's education. A good cause! So, I now own a pair of matched DCM Timeframe TF-500 Speakers. They are a heavy (about 50lbs), floor standing speaker with a very flat profile and stand about 3 1/2 feet high. Solid wood caps similar to Vandersteen style. They throw a massive soundstage, even though I definitely don't have them dialed in yet. The wood caps and grill cloth socks do not come off, so before I rip these things apart... what are they? What's the story? I gave $100 to the cause. Rockin' out to Gov't Mule. Any comments? :dunno:

bside123

Re: DCM Timeframe TF-500 Speakers. So, What Did I Buy?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2010, 01:00 am »
Here's some pics. Apparently these speakers were built between 1985-1990. They are channel specific:

Right Channel

Left Channel

ehider

Re: DCM Timeframe TF-500 Speakers. So, What Did I Buy?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2010, 01:44 am »
I am very familiar with this speaker. When I was in college, many of my buddies wanted reasonably priced speakers that could emulate a "high end" sound system, but of course, could not afford the price of entry into true "high end". This led me on a quest to find them a resonably priced speaker around $500.00 that could actually image on cheap electronics no less! Enter the DCM Timeframe. This speaker will present a very strong center image and a good image spread from just a japanese receiver, from that era! :o They have decent dynamic capabilities other than their low bass and can be played above 100 dB. One of their design compromises is having the ability to play true deep bass as they are a quasi transmission line two way using drivers from that era that didn't have the xmax or magnetics of today's drivers. The bass is very tight though and that made them special too. Regardless, they were truly a special speaker helping many a friend transition into high end audio due to their imaging capabilities. If you decide to tear into them I would start by trying different wiring and better crossover components (of the same values mind you). The people who designed these speakers realized they wouldn't be powered by high end electronics so their voicing may be compromised if you monkey with them changing drivers and such  :thumb: