suggest Preamp with HT bypass and bass management

nocrapman

suggest Preamp with HT bypass and bass management
« on: 30 Aug 2016, 04:53 pm »
Hi folks,

I am looking for a preamp that has HT bypass, subwoofer bypass(through) and sub outs.
I will be feeding it HT content through a Marantz receiver, analog ins from a DAC and Phono. So don't require inbuilt DAC or Phono section.
I do need 12v trigger in/out.
I do need clean uncolored sound.

The only one that I can find that will all the above is the Parasound P5.

What others should I consider?

Thanks!

srb

Re: suggest Preamp with HT bypass and bass management
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2016, 05:36 pm »
The Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 meets your requirements and is fully balanced with analog resistor ladder volume control.  Build quality looks good and has panel mounted RCAs, 5-year warranty and 30-day satisfaction return policy.

The only cons I see are anti-Emotiva audiophile snob bias and they are butt-ugly with 17 blue lights and volume control ring, but the 10-position dim control should be able to subdue that sufficiently.

http://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xsp-1

Steve

nocrapman

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2016, 06:09 pm »
The Emotiva would have been perfect since I have a bunch of their amps and think highly of them.... except my cabinet will only accommodate 16.5" deep components and the XSP-1 is 19".
Thanks for the pointer though!

srb

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2016, 07:02 pm »
The Emotiva would have been perfect since I have a bunch of their amps and think highly of them.... except my cabinet will only accommodate 16.5" deep components and the XSP-1 is 19".

According to the Specs, 19" is the depth of the box, the actual depth of the unit is 16.5" including terminals.

Steve

nocrapman

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2016, 09:47 am »
Nuprime HD-AVP?

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/home-theater-media-server/hd-avp-hd-ava.html

This is an excellent option especially with the built in amp. That way I can really simplify the system.

However my big concern: is this much better than a high end HT receiver from Onkyo, Integra, marantz with all the bells and whistles in one box?
What do I lose with everything crammed in one box?
Does anyone have experience with this?

audioguy213

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2016, 10:23 am »
The Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 meets your requirements and is fully balanced with analog resistor ladder volume control.  Build quality looks good and has panel mounted RCAs, 5-year warranty and 30-day satisfaction return policy.

The only cons I see are anti-Emotiva audiophile snob bias and they are butt-ugly with 17 blue lights and volume control ring, but the 10-position dim control should be able to subdue that sufficiently.

http://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xsp-1

Steve

I was like, why did he show the back of that thing instead of the front.. and then I went to their site.
Arrrrr - I am blinded by the intensity of the ugliness!
This is the first brown paper bag audio component

srb

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2016, 01:56 pm »
I was like, why did he show the back of that thing instead of the front.. and then I went to their site.
Arrrrr - I am blinded by the intensity of the ugliness!  This is the first brown paper bag audio component

"Emotiva - We Likey Blue!"

It's my understanding that several major airports keep a few of these on hand as a backup to the runway lighting system.

I know some of the Emotiva components have a lighting OFF position, but I'm not sure if one of the 10 dim positions of the XSP-1 is completely off.  When the blue lighting is off they look OK, and it was also a good decision to abandon the contrasting silver ears and go with all black.

Unfortunately my requests to both Emotiva and Wyred4Sound for consideration of the position of Aesthetic Product Design Coordinator have been largely ignored.

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2016, 06:21 pm »
Media closet FTW!

Seriously, you can dim those significantly no doubt, or place them out of line of sight from your seating position.

The media closet is a must in my opinion, if you are building up your own space.  I am SO pleased I built one years ago when we finished the basement.

Helps with ugly gear, or for those "constrained" when bringing in new gear...