sound through rears when on mute

thxultra

« on: 30 Oct 2003, 09:50 pm »
Question for everyone with sp1 or 1.7

when playing a source with DD,DTS or Prologic does anyone get the sound coming out of the rears when on mute.Its not as loud as it was being played original but loud enough to hear it without straining.

regards
mark

jethro

« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2003, 03:17 am »
My SP-1.7 fully mutes, however I'm only using a 5.1 setup.

thxultra

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2003, 05:11 pm »
Mines a sp.1 so only 5.1 aswell, also get a loud hissing coming from the tweeters on the front left and right speakers, loud enough to hear when playing at low volume.Begining to think their might be something wrong :( anyone from bryston have an idea :?:

Is this something sp.1 do , would upgrading to sp1.7 cure it as its something i plan to do but not till next year some time.

jethro

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2003, 01:13 am »
I discovered tonight that if you turn the volume down so that it momentarily displays "Mute", some signal is still present on my speakers. If I press the "mute" button on the remote then I hear nothing.

As for hiss,I've always had some hiss but it disappears when more then a foot away from my speakers. Perhaps you have sensitive speakers ?

thomaspf

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2003, 03:52 am »
I had a hissing issue with my SP1.7 and after I send a recording of it to James they asked me to send them the unit and it came back without any hiss.

The engineer knew immediately what it was. Something about a resistor that was not supposed to be there except for testing.

Your issue might be completely different though.

Cheers

Thomas

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2003, 12:30 am »
Hi All,

The hiss is digital noise and is more obvious with efficent speakers. The SP1 and SP1.7 have LOTS of gain due to the Class A amplifiers - it will swing up to 15 volts.
The SP1.7 has about an 8dB better digital noise floor than the SP1.

james