A new Twin 15 Megatron Nimbus?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: A new Twin 15 Megatron Nimbus?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2016, 04:01 pm »
For goodness' sake. He's just brainstorming.

Exactly. Adding a second woofer to a proven design isn't exactly breaking new ground on a different design either. And IMO it has merit as the more surface area the better for low frequencies.

I was also thinking of the Evolution MM3 when I read the OP... and also Endeavor as they have tall speakers with woofers at top and bottom. And many others... I think it's a good idea.

Another way to go would be to make it a 4-way with true subwoofer drivers in a force-canceling arrangement. Keep the 15" for the impact and add a couple of 18s...

And another way to go is Nelson Pass' slot-loaded design, which has the advantages of lots of driver surface area and force canceling in a small package.   

EdRo

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2016, 03:21 am »
I did actually talk with Ryan about my twin 15 idea. While having two 15s would have some small positive effect, adding a smaller woofer like a 10" or even a 12 would have more positives. So I'm off to the drawing board. I doubt Ryan will put up with my "Shark-nado" moniker, but now to figure out what it could look like. :icon_twisted:

Carl V

« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2016, 03:31 pm »
While having two 15s would have some small positive effect, adding a smaller woofer like a 10" or even a 12 would have more positives.

uh huh.  Looking forward to yours groups outcome

Dragon_vibe

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2016, 06:48 am »
Edro,

You should design a twin 18inch, using one of of driver as a radiator. Call it the Vaporizer or eu version THE VAPORISER.

:green:

Dragon_vibe

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2016, 06:52 am »
I don't think the name megatron will suit your vapor speakers.

Something like vaporiser or even a humidifiers might sound more in line with the vapor atmosphere branding names used.

But it would be nice to see a dual 18inch, with a 12 inch midrange something that can be used for large home theatre.

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2016, 06:58 am »
I don't think the name megatron will suit your vapor speakers.

Something like vaporiser or even a humidifiers might sound more in line with the vapor atmosphere branding names used.

But it would be nice to see a dual 18inch, with a 12 inch midrange something that can be used for large home theatre.

Why would you want a narrow sweet spot midrange for HT?

Dragon_vibe

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 23 Aug 2016, 07:03 am »
Just a Thought I guess I'm not a speaker designer but it would be interesting to see a super Large 12 inch Midrange and Dual 18s,  Something worthy of the name Megatron but even better The VAPORISER or  THE AIR-PURIFIER  as I suspect the 18 or 15 inch will be moving a lot of Air from Speaker Cabinet.  These are just my thoughts id like to share With ED.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2016, 07:18 am »
Why stop at 18"?  We've made 17 cubic foot transmission line subwoofers featuring 21" drivers.

:o

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2016, 11:34 am »
If I were to build an ultimate speaker it would have back to back siding firing woofers in transmission lines with single midrange and tweeter mounted at listening height. 

But research points to the ideal speaker needs to be in multiple cabinets.  Midrange/treble should emanate from the "standard" left/right stereo positions in front of you while bass needs to asymmetrically load the room from multiple locations.  And I'd use a transmission line loading for the midrange too.  TBI is onto this concept, but on a much smaller scale.

Frankly the number of homes that can support a "Megatron" vision is vanishingly few.  Seems like you're trying to build a dinosaur.

Dragon_vibe

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 23 Aug 2016, 12:17 pm »
Why stop at 18"?  We've made 17 cubic foot transmission line subwoofers featuring 21" drivers.

:o

Yes iv seen this one being mentioned 100s of times on the forums---and yes I know you guys made 1., Pro Audio Technology makes a 24 inch, I have heard that and a 21inch many times and always found them to sound slow. Ultimately the Quested 18 inches were by far one of the best and punched well higher than most 21 inch could. The larger the driver becomes the harder it tends to be for the designer to make them sound fast punchy and articulate.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #30 on: 23 Aug 2016, 12:56 pm »
I had a pair of 6 cubic foot I. M. Fried MLTL's driven by 8 inch woofers in the 80's that were rated to go 114 dB at 17 Hz (and I believe it).  Way too much output for residential spaces, but so musical!  But brought tears to my eyes in a 160 seat, 20,000 cubic foot chapel.  In comparison those TL's would be a much better fit for a small arena.

Actually I'm wondering if a tiny highly affordable TL subwoofer is available that can do just 100 dB at 20 Hz, or am I asking the laws of physics to bend too far?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #31 on: 24 Aug 2016, 05:17 am »
Yes iv seen this one being mentioned 100s of times on the forums---and yes I know you guys made 1., Pro Audio Technology makes a 24 inch, I have heard that and a 21inch many times and always found them to sound slow. Ultimately the Quested 18 inches were by far one of the best and punched well higher than most 21 inch could. The larger the driver becomes the harder it tends to be for the designer to make them sound fast punchy and articulate.

Sounds like you experienced poor designs, or subs that were driven too high above their design range.

Subs aren't supposed to sound "fast, punchy, articulate."  They are supposed to move air and typically at frequencies well below 100Hz.

Woofers need to be punchy and articulate, and that is accomplished by proper enclosure loading, good driver linearity, and clean power to drive them them.

I had a pair of 6 cubic foot I. M. Fried MLTL's driven by 8 inch woofers in the 80's that were rated to go 114 dB at 17 Hz (and I believe it).  Way too much output for residential spaces, but so musical!  But brought tears to my eyes in a 160 seat, 20,000 cubic foot chapel.  In comparison those TL's would be a much better fit for a small arena.

Actually I'm wondering if a tiny highly affordable TL subwoofer is available that can do just 100 dB at 20 Hz, or am I asking the laws of physics to bend too far?

All you need to do is specify the size of sub you want and I'll find a driver to match that criteria.  But if you want small at all costs, your best bet is to go with a Passive Radiator and throw a driver in the enclosure that has a lot of linear throw and can soak up lots of power.

The problem with small enclosure and lots of dB is that the air movement can cause audible turbulence at the terminus of the line (or vent in a Helmholtz radiator).  T-lines tend to do a little better at reducing that port turbulence than typical ported enclosures, but a proper PR design works best of all.