Ex-machina

charmerci

Ex-machina
« on: 27 Mar 2015, 03:52 pm »
I don't like to watch too many movies...cause most of the them are mediocre but this one, I'll have to see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TmdBVgC7zE

It's actually a small budget - probably minimal release - movie.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Ex-machina
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2015, 05:35 pm »
Looks really good!

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2015, 04:39 am »
This movie is right up my alley...I can't wait to see it.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2015, 04:48 am »
Nerd wet dream.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2015, 06:55 am »
With Domhnall Gleeson and Alicia Vikander in it it can't help but be good! :thumb:  I'm really looking forward to this one. :)

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2015, 09:01 pm »
Time to rent this DVD guys. This movie kicks ass!! Awesome !!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2015, 09:07 pm »
It was a good movie but hard to believe that... well never mind.  :wink:  It's worth seeing.

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2015, 10:32 pm »
LOVED it!

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2015, 02:45 am »
When Ex Machina appeared it immediately went to the top of my "must see" list because it had the buzz and it's science fiction.  Watched a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it.

Ex Machina is directed by Alex Garland. I listened to an interesting and thought provoking interview with directer Alex Garland talking about Ex Machina on Studio 360, the bonus track (linked below) has the unedited hour long interview and is fascinating:
http://www.studio360.org/story/ex-machina-director-alex-garland-says-love-your-robot/#bonustrack

Toward the end of the hour interview Alex Garland says he will be directing Annihilation based on the first book in the Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer, I just finished the three book series and have no idea how the second two books could be made into a movie, the first book is weird enough. Good stuff.

If you are a sci-fi movie buff like I am think of this as pre-buzz.

Wayne

jpm

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2015, 02:51 am »
I knew nothing about it before I watched it earlier this year - absolutely awesome movie.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2015, 03:13 am »
I watched it, not expecting it to be good.

However, it was definitely a good movie.

The most important thing, machine or human....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2015, 05:37 am »
One of the best movies I've seen this year!  Highly recommended. :thumb:

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2015, 10:52 am »
I was just lukewarm after watching this movie.  Maybe because I did it on an airplane... After uniformly positive feedback here it looks like I'll have to give it another shot in a better environment  :)

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2015, 01:36 pm »
Watched it a couple of weeks back.  Enjoyed it.

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2015, 04:01 pm »
I was just lukewarm after watching this movie.  Maybe because I did it on an airplane... After uniformly positive feedback here it looks like I'll have to give it another shot in a better environment  :)

Well, it's not really meant to make you feel good.

mick wolfe

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2015, 04:38 pm »
Watched it the other night with a friend. We both enjoyed it and thought the door was nicely open for a sequel.

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2015, 05:00 pm »
I can see why you guys enjoyed it, but I felt it was just OK. 

InfernoSTi

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2015, 06:45 pm »
I enjoyed it but it felt like a "short" not a "full" film, if that makes since.  It certainly makes me appreciate Bladerunner even more.  I loved the look of the film, however.  I could almost watch it with the sound off as a moving picture. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2015, 12:14 am »
Curious movie. Less about the debauchery of Nathan, but more about the allure of Caleb to the beauty of AI.  Ava was incredibly sexy in a VERY weird way, but in the end, not such a beauty.  We praise and worship technology, but forget that a machine is merely a Machine.  Siri is fun to mess with, but she has no soul.  Not my idea of a great date.  Then again, I probably had worse.  Ever take a girl out you had to explain an Elvis Presley movie to?  Great kisser even if she was a box of rocks.

50 of the greatest minds in technology came out recently ad warned against the dangers of AI especially when given the autonomy to kill:  http://www.enidnews.com/opinion/columns/the-rise-of-the-machines-thinkers-warn-of-killer-ai/article_5f386e16-5e38-5ffa-946e-7658628c8b9f.html.  Unsettling.  SkyNet lives... or not.  It is up to us.  Too bad.  We have proven that we are a stupid breed when it comes to making a salient decision.

I'm working on a high energy combo laser/maser to kill those suckers.  In my mind    :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2015, 05:26 am »
I think the movie did a great job of raising and exploring many fascinating issues.  The first and most obvious layer is consciousness itself. What does is mean to be sentient and conscious? What do those terms actually mean? Does possession of them bestow unalienable rights to the possessor?  How must we behave towards such a being?  I think another fascinating subtext is sex and beauty, and maybe the role of sex in suppression of male intelligence. :wink:  Is beauty a weapon?  And if so is it ethical to use it when you're stripped of every other weapon?

I loved it and will be adding to my collection on Bluray. :thumb: