hookup for saphire II and subwoofer 1

richard penko

hookup for saphire II and subwoofer 1
« on: 20 Apr 2010, 11:40 pm »
moved my system and did not diagram hookup, can't find manuals..help
anybody give me instructions on reconnecting my speakers?
Thanks

Saphire II and non powered subwoofer1

Eric

Re: hookup for saphire II and subwoofer 1
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:46 pm »
Would need a list of the components you have

Richard Penko

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2010, 01:01 am »
HAVE A CARVER PRE AMP AND 300W/CH AMP.
Thanks

Eric

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2010, 06:12 pm »
What is powering your non-powered sub?

richard penko

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2010, 10:55 pm »
a Carver 300w/ch amp.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2010, 02:37 pm »
Richard:

Are you still looking? If I remember correctly, the bottom of the Sub 1s have inputs (from your amp), and outputs (to the Sapphires).

Capt. Z

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2010, 05:34 pm »
The recommended hock up for Sapphire II and Sub 1 were to run one pair of cables to the sub in, than a second pair from the sub out to the mid-driver on the sapphire II and a third cable to the tweeter on the Sapphire II.

I ran my Sapphires and Sub 1 like that for several years, but felt that the bass was too shy.
I ended up removing the - I guess it's called the low pass filter - and moved it into the Sapphire one in front of the mid-driver x-over input.

I now use an external x-over from Paradigm to run the Sub 1s - powered by an old Adcom 555 power amp.

SO I have my pre-out run to the Paradigm x-over, crossed the Sub over around 60 Hz, than the signal continues to go to a Marchant Bassis, Bass management control, and from there to a slightly tweaked Adcom 555 to the Subs.

Than I have one pair of cables run from my tube amp to the Sapphire III (upgraded mine from the II to III). Internally I put both, tweeter and mid-bass inputs on one post, to eliminate a sound degrading bridge on the 2 sets of posts.

This may sound a little confusing, but works wonderful for me.

Being able to give the sub their own amp will increse the performance of the sapphire at least by one or two levels. At least in my case, since my tube amp only has 45 Watts. Using a high powered SS amp MAY have enough power and control and give you a different result.

richard penko

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2010, 02:51 pm »
Thanks Mike, Capt Z...now have sound.You all have a great day,
Rick