3-driver Open Baffle design

YashN

Re: 3-driver Open Baffle design
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2016, 05:55 pm »
From the cheap n cheerful files I would recommend the use of a pool noodle to "fill the gap".

I would think that vibration transfer through that material would be pretty minimal. 

So too would a 1/4 inch gap I would think too.

Some form of rubber perhaps, maybe like the thick floor vibration isolators sold in hardware stores, maybe a smooth surface one if that is possible, provides the surface extension to the floor without transmitting floor-borne seismic vibrations back to the baffle and drivers.

YashN

Re: 3-driver Open Baffle design
« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2016, 06:03 pm »
Here's some unique OB 3 ways that scored a detailed 6 Moons review. Could be a source of design ideas.

Thanks rajacat, these look like a pretty cool design, futuristic-looking even.

While I do not like the spikes, these speakers got me thinking. They use a gap between the lower baffle and the upper one. Secondly, the lower baffle isn't very large on the upper-side, so I guess that the smaller triangular baffle above is acting as a baffle for the lower woofers as well.

It appears then, that the small gap in between doesn't matter much. This makes some sense, assuming the back reflections are very attenuated.

Now, the gap also allows the prevention of vibrations propagating from the lower baffle to the upper one.

However, this necessitates that the frame behind has vibration isolation to prevent the lower baffle vibrations from propagating to the upper baffle and drivers through the support frame. I am not sure if and how they do this, but it looks like they could be using a layered support frame, so if there's a constrained layer there that could be helpful.

Coming back to the smaller triangular upper frame. I was asking myself why the baffle is so small, especially above the drivers. Maybe it is because at these frequencies the dipole shape and directionality is such that not much energy travels up toward the ceiling?

It does make sense that the lower frequencies would need very large baffles especially above the drivers because we know bass/very low freqs can travel everywhere very easily.

YashN