FS: KCS Custom Fostex F200A Speakers (+ SET = Magic!)

RickRichardson

I am selling a pair of KCS custom big bass reflex speakers with the Fostex F200A drivers and Hi-Vi RT2 ribbon tweeters. The rear ported cabinets were designed and built by John Kalinowski of KCS. The Fostex F200A drivers are the best sounding Fostex drivers I have heard, but are lacking at the very top end. Adding the Hi-Vi RT2 ribbon tweeters is the perfect complement being very efficient at 99 dB, and operating from 2,300 – 30,000 Hz. Mundorf Supreme caps and resistors are used for the tweeters. The result is a speaker that can be driven my low power SET amps and deliver full tight bass, clean detailed mids, and crystal clear highs. I would guess the sensitivity is in the low 90’s dB, but I can say the in a medium size room 4 watts or more makes these sing. In a small room a 45 amp works great.

These are big, good looking speakers. The bass reflex cabinets are 13” X 17” X 40”. They are quarter sawn oak with a dark stain. Shipping weight will be about 100 lbs. each. They are in perfect working condition, but the cabinets have a few small nicks and scratches, only noticeable from close up. One top back corner was pushed in a bit in one of the several moves they have had.

I have owned several Fostex driver based speakers over the years, including the use of limited edition drivers, such as the FE 206SE-R and the FE 203EN-S in single and double back loaded horn cabs. In my opinion, these KCS F200A speakers sound better from top to bottom. I am decommissioning the system I use these in due to downsizing, so I need to pass them on to someone else. I have had these for four years, so the 200A drivers are very well broken in, but they actually improve with use, so they will sound even better for the next owner.

I would love to have someone pick these up in Northern San Diego County, so they don’t have to be shipped, or I could deliver them in the Southern California area for the cost of gas. I estimate the shipping size of each package to be about 48” T X 18” X 18” and 100 lbs.

The original cost was $3,400, and I am asking $1,600.

gab

Re: FS: KCS Custom Fostex F200A Speakers (+ SET = Magic!)
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2014, 08:18 pm »
looks like a fair price to me. The cost of new F200A drivers are $560 each.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-fullrange/fostex-f200a-8-full-range-with-alnico-magnet/

gab

RickRichardson

Re: FS: KCS Custom Fostex F200A Speakers (+ SET = Magic!)
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2014, 10:01 pm »
And the Hi-Vi RT2 ribbon tweeters were around $200 each.  Sadly, they are no longer available.  So at this price, you are getting these beautiful cabinets for free! 

I had a pair of Fostex T90A Top Mount Horn Super Tweeters being used for another speaker, so I tried them on these speakers.  They were very, very similar to the Hi-Vi ribbons.  The T90A is still available and cost $210 each.  I think you would have to go to something like the Fostex T900A Top Mount Horn Super Tweeters to really hear an improvement.  They are $535 each.